RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

colin

Dec 30, 2001, 1:35 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Gym rat to outdoors?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would just climb outdoors first. And before you jump on a route, look for the holds, plan out what you want to do, etc. This way you should be able to keep your cool and not avoid panic when you can't find the "perfect" hold like you often do in the gym.

spunkylilrn

Dec 30, 2001, 2:51 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Gym rat to outdoors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I learned to climb outdoors on real rock. But, I'll tell you that when I first started I was scared out of my mind. I would get approx. 25 ft. up and look down and yell at my belayer to let me down. This is toproping, mind you. Once you realize that you aren't going anywhere, you'll feel better about it. Just give it a little time. If you can't find a hold and peel, oh well. Just get back on and try again.

Partner pianomahnn

Dec 31, 2001, 9:59 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All it take is reassurance; falling on your setup. When I first started climbing I was freaked out. My situation is kind of opposite yours. I hate leading indoors. I prefer leading outdoors. I just get all nervous when I'm leading. Top roping isn't a big deal.

Practice and patience. You'll get over it eventually.

vaness

Jan 2, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey i got an idea...i know some peoply call it cheating but oh well.
if your on a route and youre scared why dont you lean on the rope and relax for a few...then you will trust that you wont go anywhere and in a little while you probly wont be scared to fall and you wont have to lean on the rope. i have seen it work for other people before.
vanessa

lschlack

Jan 2, 2002, 8:54 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The earlier advice to take your time before you climb outdoors is good indeed. look for the holds you want to use before you start up the rope.

Like you I had initally learned to climb indoors and moving outside and finding holds is different. On the "wall" indoors, they are obvious the background is a different color than the holds, outside there all pretty much the same color. You will get used to seeing the holds outside after a while.

The big difference for me was the "exposure" of climbing out doors its all wide open even when top roping. You need to trust your rope and your belay just like inside, at first you may choose to keep your eyes on the climb and not look around too much once you get some elevation outside, but once you are used to it, you may agree with many of us that the view is incredible.

Best wishes on your endeavors, your going through some of the same issues many of us faced and over came, you will too.

Regards,
Larry

jds100

Jan 3, 2002, 8:36 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Experience with real rock will teach you how to see the holds, the route, the stances, the risks of a fall, etc. Real time on real rock. (Try to get with real climbers, too. Click on Ooze's profile and see if you two can hook up.)

airscape

Jan 23, 2002, 3:55 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a couple of controled falls!
Take a nice easy sport route, with no big ledges or trees nearby, climb to the third or fourth bolt, clip it. then climb abit higher, and throw yourself off.. first couple of times is very hard thing to do, but once you have done it, you won't mind falling so much. everytime you try go abit higher above your protection. After a while you will be at your next bolt and not even mind falling from there onto the pro below.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook