RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

fuzzymonkey

May 5, 2003, 2:37 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Chicago: Harbor Wall?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Have any Chicago climbers hit the Harbor Wall down on 63rd Street? I saw some fresh chalk today and wondered who else climbs there. If anyone wants to go or wants directions let me know.

andy_lemon

May 5, 2003, 2:49 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chicago: Harbor Wall? [In reply to]
Report this Post

Nice... 8) Could you post some pictures for us here at the site. I'd like to see more of that wall.

docoorah

May 5, 2003, 2:57 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Lived here all my life, never EVER thought to look there for bouldering! There are, however, some KILLER apartments in Forest Park that make for some awesome climbs, up to about 30 feet, and with the missing grout, trad placement is a reality!

moshe

May 5, 2003, 7:12 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I have been climbing there over the last couple of weeks with another guy from Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT). We also have a 30ft slackline setup on campus. Where are you located? If your ever looking for someone to climb with let me know. We are planning a trip to Devils Lake for May 20th-22nd, after finals.

Recently ryan and myself have been looking at doing a revision of the Jeff Elam guide using digital pictures, because many of the graffiti markers have been cleaned off. We were also looking to add some easier routes to the line up. If anybody is interested in helping please feel free to contact me.

-Moshe

ryanhos

May 9, 2003, 3:41 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

It's strange because I always see fresh chalk there when I go w/ moshe, but I've never seen anybody else ever boulder that wall. I'd sure like to meet some other chicago climbers. Perhaps we could set up a time on some saturday. (two saturdays from now is good for me...) There's PLENTY of bouldering down there so it won't be crowded. if you're coming by bike on the LFT (and you should be unless you have c.pads to bring!) there is a short detour west starting at the museum, but eventually it drops you back on 67th after you go around this large golden statue. From there you pick up the LFT for another 100 yards until you turn in to the La Rabida hospital parking lot. And if you're coming by car down LSD, the same detour exists and follow the bike directions west and around the statue to 67th. (S. Shore Ave?) Bring some first aid. The wall bites. Perhaps we'll find the rest of my right middle finger next time we go. :)

Here is the best pic I have. It's of the far left side of the wall. (The safely climbable side at least.) The platform is only 15ft so it's hard to step back to get enough of the wall in to be able to express the sheer length of this thing. It's not tall, but it is fun.

http://198.37.27.70:8001/img_2394.jpg
Note: this picture may be only occasiaonally available because it's being served off my laptop.

veganclimbr

May 10, 2003, 5:12 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Are you all talking about this place?http://oac.uchicago.edu/climbing/harborwall/harborwall.html

beacause if so I have climbed there a few times and its a really fun place. Lots of routs and the full traverse is really fun.

fuzzymonkey

May 12, 2003, 6:51 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

yeah, that's the place. Next time you go, send me PM.

Partner rgold

May 12, 2003, 8:51 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Back in the sixties, we called it the La Rabida wall, and a fairly large group of climbers (2--10) from the University of Chicago used to go there regularly in the Fall and Spring. We did very little climbing up, mostly because popping over the top called attention to our presence and tended to get us kicked out. We did lots of traversing, with various sections defined by either height or hold type or both.

There was also a stone bridge with some decent boulder problems, higher than the La Rabida wall, in a park (whose name I've forgotten) nearer the university.

ryanhos

May 19, 2003, 7:48 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

do you have any beta on the location of this "stone bridge?" Higher is better. No so friggin far south is also better. I'm not a UofC student so I'm sort of unfamiliar w/ that area or I'd go hunting for it myself.

fuzzymonkey

May 19, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I don't know what you are taking about. I know on LSD bridges with stone piers, but that's like 5ft off the highway. There's at 39th, and few farther south.

Maybe http://www.hononegah.org/...StoneBridgeTrail.htm?? That's in Rockford, about 1hr & 45mins away though.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook