RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

bouldersdothebodygood

May 6, 2003, 1:51 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2471 views)
Shortcut

would this work well?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ok so i want to set one up and have come up with a pan i have a metal post and am going to put a wood one on the other side so here it is

]x0------------------ox[

[/]= posts

x= bolt

0=biner

-=webing

so i would use a tie down ratchet thing to tighten what do you think any help or suggestions are welcome

bouldersdothebodygood

May 21, 2003, 3:01 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2471 views)
Shortcut

Re: would this work well? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

um do any of you have an idea at all

sheldonjr

May 21, 2003, 6:52 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll break the ice. First, how big are your poles, and how deep are they. The inward force on a slackline can easy get up to 1000lbs. So if your poles aren't up to it, I'd suggest staking them back so they don't flex in. Also, the first time you get on it, you'll probably realize you need a tightening system. I'm not gonna go into all the ways since the info is easily available in this forum. Hope this helps, and happy slackin'.

sheldonjr

May 21, 2003, 6:58 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, I didn't see the tie down ratchet part. From what I've heard, those have a tendancy to break. (Hearsay.) Is there any way you could just use it to get the line tight, and then transfer the force to something stonger? (E.G. Tighten up, clip on biner, loosen/remove ratchet.) That'd be better. Also PM me if you want it, and I'll email you this great slackline calculator. (It's made using Microsoft Excel.)

trad_man

May 24, 2003, 10:50 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what do you mean a slackline calc.? and if you could send it my way that would be cool. my e-mail is Trad_Man@hotmail.com

givemeshorebreak

Jul 22, 2003, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo, by now you probably have a system worked out but i'll throw in my two cents.
Personally I would be really hesitant using the ratchet tightening system. Like sheldonjr said, you might be able to use it to tighten the line but I wouldn't want to actually walk the line with just that holding it. The force on the webbing gets pretty intense and I would think that although they are pretty strong, the ratchet tighteners would probably break or at least get pretty tweaked.
I am pretty new to this sport and I recently set up my line using the easy tightening methods suggested by other posters. ie-the pulley system using 3 carabiners at the tightening end. At first it might seem intimidating what with the different knots used to make it work but they are all easy to learn with a minimum of time and practice. Just do it bro, whatever works.
Peace

justuspr

Jul 23, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive found that if the trees I'm using aren't more than 6 inches in diameter there is too much flex in the system (pines ususally need to be even thicker) and I just end up walking on the ground I'm 200 punds though so most climbers could prolly get away with smaller trees. I would recommend staking the posts, and I would use a 3 biner tightening system rather than a ratchet.

BTW I would like a copy of the slackline calc, if you wouldn't mind emailing it... justuspr@excite.com

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook