Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Anyone use a good insurance or travel protection service?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

keinangst

May 6, 2003, 6:30 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Anyone use a good insurance or travel protection service?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm just curious if anyone knows of any good insurance policies or services that would be useful in case of an injury on a hike, approach, or ascent. I am basically helping a client solicit some ideas on how to position their service, and rc.com seemed like a good bet since I'm in here all the time.

Since this isn't a commercial post, I won't say their name. What they provide is a $200 annual prepaid membership that will bring you to the hospital of your choice when traveling over 150 miles from home. Of course, this isn't an SAR service, but would be able to evacuate you if SAR needed to get you off the mountain and into a local hospital. Theoretically, you might not want to be under local care in a lot of areas, and this service would pick you up and take you back to the States (or elsewhere) in a private jet.

I just wanted to get some input and opinions, especially from experienced trekkers who might be interested in this kinda thing. From what I understand, most insurance policies only cover you to the nearest hospital. I'm not selling it through the forums, I just want to hear some experiences with insurance, etc, and whether trekkers and climbers might be worth targeting. Thanks in advance!

billburning

May 7, 2003, 4:11 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone use a good insurance or travel protection service [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use MedJet who provides the same kind of service, if you're more than 100 miles from home they will fly you to your hospital of choice sort of thing. I can't remember how much it is, but it wasn't very much, like 200 annually or something. I (thankfully) haven't had to use it yet, so I can't tell you anymore than that!

jtcronk

May 8, 2003, 2:28 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone use a good insurance or travel protection service [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Join the American Alpine Club, there's some rescue insurance included with your memebership.....

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook