Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Who gave my photo a "two thumbs down" vote.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jmlangford

Dec 28, 2001, 6:02 PM
Post #1 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Who gave my photo a "two thumbs down" vote.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Who gave my photo "Late Evening Rappel" a two thumbs down vote? What did I do to tick you off? I've never given a vote of thumbs down because the way I figure it if it is a picture of anything related to climbing it is not a completely wasted picture. Actually, I'm not really irritated because the picture already won a ribbon at a Central California contest. I know it isn't the best photo around, but come on!

[ This Message was edited by: jmlangford on 2001-12-28 12:43 ]

saltspringer

Dec 28, 2001, 7:24 PM
Post #2 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Who gave my photo a "two thumbs down" vote. [In reply to]
Report this Post

I've noticed some strange trends in the photo voting as well...I think it has to do with people wanting to get pictures off of the first page & the most effective way to do that, immediately, is to cast an absurdly low vote. People should vote according to what they feel the pictures represent, not to jocky a picture to a better/worse position: your vote should represent how you really feel about a picture and when you think about the scale, two thumbs down should be for an out-of-focus shot of someone's toe beside a climbing shoe or something. Please vote for what you feel a picture deserves, not for where you want it to end up right that second,
Mike

jmlangford

Dec 28, 2001, 8:48 PM
Post #3 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Saltspringer made some very good points. You may ask how I know I received a "two thumbs down" vote. Well, soon after my picture posted(Thanks to rrradam for straightening my file out)it had three votes with a rating of 8.00. Five minutes later, it had four votes and a rating of 6.25. 4 X 6.25=25, meaning the last vote was a one pointer.
Jody

climberchic

Dec 28, 2001, 9:25 PM
Post #4 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I am one of the people that gave that photo an 8.00. There is no way that anyone with a sense of taste or beauty would have given that photo a two thumbs down unless

a)they wanted it off the front page

b)you have enemies

c)flat out jealousy

d)they were high

I'm thinking "d" personally

paintinhaler

Dec 28, 2001, 9:30 PM
Post #5 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

who cares they are stupid

meadors

Dec 28, 2001, 11:37 PM
Post #6 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

its impossible to turn everyone on to a piece of art (which is what creative photography is) the way you feel (especially the creator). a lot of people hate the new logo i drew for this site but i personally think it doesnt suck -i love it and so does trevor. most importantly, be proud of your photo as it turns you on!

[ This Message was edited by: meadors on 2001-12-28 15:39 ]

squeeks

Dec 29, 2001, 12:30 AM
Post #7 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

dont worry about it. yeah it is frustrating or even upsetting but just blow it off. the person that did that is obviously an idiot and has no respect or taste.

jaydoc

Dec 29, 2001, 12:32 AM
Post #8 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

After taking a quick peek at the pic let me just say, "I love it". It is something totally different than the usual climbing snaps out there. Keep up the good work!

Jim

paulc

Dec 29, 2001, 1:23 AM
Post #9 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Well, I have to agree photos around here are graded on who submitted them and hopefully an admin can figure out what is up and sort it out. Anyone ever notice that all of PTPP's photos are rated a 1? Even the good ones with huge exposure.

On a related topic, no offence Adam, but I'm getting tired of seeing your pics all over the front page day after day. I know this came up in another topic, but between that and the one in hong kong on TR, not that it isn't a nice shot, but why don't some of the old photos come up again??? There are some really good ones from 6 months ago that should be seen again.

Paul

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 29, 2001, 1:33 AM
Post #10 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

So am I, as I already stated in the Photography Forum... I'm getting tired of seeing mine on the fron page as well.

We need more quality pics, like the one that started this thread, to be submitted to the gallery.

But also... People tend to bitch about the system, even when they do not vote. If you care about the pics that show on the Front Page, I incurrage everyone to vote.

rrrADAM

Partner jules

Dec 29, 2001, 2:43 AM
Post #11 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

That is an incredible photo... I am getting into amateur photography, but none of my stuff comes out that cool. I gave it a 10 and set it as my desktop wallpaper, if that makes you feel any better.

jmlangford

Jan 1, 2002, 12:56 AM
Post #12 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

This is ridiculous! I'm not saying that my photo is a ten or anything-but would someone please tell me how it goes from a 7.51/14 votes to 7.08/17 votes? Someone is lowballing me again. If the picture is that bad, don't be a coward, post the reasons why and that way I can improve. I do appreciate the positive feedback I have received. Maybe the lowballers were trying to jump ahead of mine on the front page. When mine was on the front page, I voted for every photo there and in the process, jumped three photos ahead of mine because they were great shots. Here's to more shots of rrradam if mine wonb't stay there!

larryclimb

Jan 1, 2002, 1:56 AM
Post #13 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Really cool picture. Send more.

climb512

Jan 1, 2002, 4:07 PM
Post #14 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Its a cool pic, better than most I've seen.

bumblesbounce

Jan 1, 2002, 4:16 PM
Post #15 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

It's really cool.... who ever is rappelling looks like ghost!

kahuna3602

Jan 1, 2002, 5:14 PM
Post #16 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

That photo is poster quality. Screw anyone who thinks it isn't.

jmlangford

Jan 2, 2002, 12:15 AM
Post #17 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Thanks for all the feedback and positive comments. I'm still getting thumbs down votes because it is dropping like a rock! Is there something about the photos dropping points automatically if they don't stay high? I'm just curious. That is the first picture I've submitted and it will probably be the last based on the score it is receiving. I just thought more people would enjoy it but that is obviously not the case.
Thanks again to those that liked it.
Jody

jmlangford

Jan 2, 2002, 2:51 AM
Post #18 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Thanks Pinscar,
You're right. I shouldn't worry about it. But it sure got a good thread going, didn't it? Yeah it probably offended someone that has been submitting pictures for months and never got featured on the front page! I got lucky on my first one. As for using it in ads, etc. I'm open to offers but even I don't think it is THAT good. Jody

saltspringer

Jan 2, 2002, 8:27 AM
Post #19 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I think we need to clarify just what exactly the purpose of the Gallery section is...to inspire others to climb? Showcase individual's photos? Decorate the site? Personally, I enjoy seeing photos that either make me want to visit a place to climb or that are just aesthetically pleasing shots; your rappel shot is definitely the latter and deserves a spot in the limelight so try not to be discouraged and just hope that there are more people on the site interested in looking through a variety of shots (not just those on the front page!) and that they'll enjoy your picture no matter where it ends up. This whole scenario really brings up the issue of separating photos into categories eventually so that people who are interested in submitting Gallery photos will have a better opportunity to showcase their work. As it stands, if you vote your shot a 10 and the next person (out of spite or something) votes it a 1, it's not going to be seen by most users...seems like a raw deal if one person doesn't like a picture that they can send it to the bottom of the heap so easily!

blackjack

Jan 2, 2002, 12:44 PM
Post #20 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Well i agree with saltspringer

I have lost also so many photos the first day i submited it ! they just gave a low grade !
so it just goes down to the other page and gets lost !
I really dunno whats the use if this !

jds100

Jan 2, 2002, 3:10 PM
Post #21 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I would rather see a gallery of photos, without the "voting" aspect of the process. What objective does voting on or rating the photos serve? The front page photos could go on a rotating basis, with regard only to submission date, with no possibility of some sort of "popularity vote" coming into play.

I'm tired of all the problems that "voting" and "rating" are causing on this site; they serve no constructive purpose at all. If people want to submit photos, or want to contribute to forums, or contribute to the Route database, or submit articles, or whatever, they will do so without the contrived "carrot on a stick" of points and ratings. And, the quality will likely be higher, because the contributions will come from more genuine motivation.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 4, 2002, 9:45 PM
Post #22 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

That's simple...

There are photos in the Gallery that are of peoples' dogs, cars, gear, kids, wedding pics(mine),etc...

Without the voting, these too would show up on the front page. My wedding pic showed up on the front page even after Karen and I voted them 1's to keep them off of it, but I had to go and manually lower the rank and remove the voting ability from it to keep it off the front page.

rrrADAM

Partner russman

Jan 5, 2002, 2:19 AM
Post #23 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i have a pic of my truck...Blue Thunder

and many of my son...as well as some submitted under his Rc.com ID also. I am jsut as guilty as anyone. Just love to show off my cute little Boy

jmlangford

Jan 5, 2002, 2:42 AM
Post #24 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Geez Russman,
You gave me a great idea! I'm going to have 100 pics of my kids posted the second I get a chance.I didn't even think of posting non-climbing pics. Wait 'till you see the one's of my wife and our wedding. Look what you've started-the latest family photo website. In all seriousness though, I think it is great to hear people that are proud of their children and family. Go ahead and keep sharing the photos. I have a few of my 6 and 9 year old climbing that aren't the greatest quality so I haven't posted them. I'm proud of the little wallrats too!

krillen

Jan 8, 2002, 5:31 PM
Post #25 of 33 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Jody you are lucky your photos were voted as high as they weer initially. Don't get me wrong, personally I gave it an 8. But I submitted some bouldering shots, not great, taken with a disposible camera, but as soon as they got on the site they were voted 3.5 and 4 after 3 votes each. They aren't award winners, but they aren't 2 thumbs down either. People are jsut extremely harsh with other people's work for some reason.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook