RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

jsm280

Jan 2, 2002, 5:58 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Do climbing classes help?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It depends on the class....
For technique the class (with a good instructor) will point out how to conserve energy, make that reachy move, look for the better route before you start the climb, ect...
For lead they teach what back clipping and Z cliping are, clipping stances, how to make a clip, what to do and not to do (example climbing past a bolt or clipping from your waist or close to it) how to hold the rope to make a more efficient clip ect... and for outdoor sport lead how to do a changeover, what to look for in bolts (good/bad bolts) things like that....
Then you have Trad stuff (lot's of stuff you should not worry about yet judging from the initial queastion...)

and let's not forget the basic outdoor class on how to set a top rope which includes equlizing systems, ancors, rope drag over the edge/sharp edge.... ect.....

that's a start.....

Classes are great, or you can also hire a guide for a day to show you stuff...

lschlack

Jan 2, 2002, 8:14 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Do climbing classes help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first started climbing, I spent a lot of time on a wall indoors, and lots of traverse and boulder time outside. When it came time to get some vertical exposure, I did it with a guide. Its a little pricey but is worth the cost to get first hand experience on the rock and learn how to do it safely. That worked for me and I would recommend it to anyone, especially if you dont have a real experienced friend to bring you up to speed.

Redards,
Larry

maculated

Jan 2, 2002, 11:49 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, who's been reading my mind? I was just thinking the same thing . . .

I've been touring the local gyms in the SF bay area and have noticed that I'm pretty much topping out at skill level around 5.9 (I've only been climbing for five or so months, twice a week most). Obviously I need to just climb more.

But the thing is: the people I climb with are newbies as well. I've been working on books and have had chance passing where people showed me correct hand jamming techniques, etc. Is there going to be a point when I need someone to show me some new techniques that I can't pick up as I go? Sooner rather than later?

Is it worth plunking down the dollars to get a guide or school to get me past what bouldering and toproping until I'm confident enough to tackle lead?

[ This Message was edited by: maculated on 2002-01-13 16:05 ]

treyr

Jan 4, 2002, 4:03 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on how good the instructor is

bigwalling

Jan 4, 2002, 4:19 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, they help alot. Why? Well some stuff you learn in rock climbing makes no sence. Books can help alot and get you some terms and understanding of things. I taught myself how to aid climb. But I started climbing in a gym and got involved in their jr. program. I climbed in the gym for two years which made me hate it and want to just climb outdoors. But without this class I wouldn't have learned some of the stuff I know now. There's also classes that teach stuff for certain types of climbing styles. Another good thing is a mentor. It's also free with a mentor. Classes can cost alot but are good things.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$5.85 (10% off)
$10.76 (10% off)
$197.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook