Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

nikegirl

Jan 3, 2002, 2:19 AM
Post #1 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Men: Are you afraid to spot a Girl???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is it??? I want absolute honisty, here!!!
I am so absolutly Fried right now...
This is serious to me...I have AGAIN twisted my ankle...
Why???
My spotter, whom I made sure was going to spot me...DIDN"T .

What is it??? Is it because a guy is afraid to touch a girl??? Physical contact???
Is it because, a female is intimidating??

Really??? I'm easygoing...not at all intimidating... At least, I think I'm pretty much approachable.

Please, inform me...
Let me in...

T

fiend

Jan 3, 2002, 2:26 AM
Post #2 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Men: Are you afraid to spot a Girl??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I suggest ripping your spotter's head off. (or a more sensitive private area )

If anything similar to this took place:

T: "You're gonna spot me right?"
S: "Yeah, of course T, I got ya"
T: "Ok, you're sure right?"
S: "Yeah, yeah."

Then feel free to yell and scream and punch and kick and vent

Seriously, don't let this guy spot you again, make sure he knows how angry you are and how wrong he was.

As for the touchy feely bit, that's one of the perks of spotting girls, usually you have to get the guy to stop spotting you

Partner jhundrup

Jan 3, 2002, 2:31 AM
Post #3 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with Mark. If the guy is normal then he should be happy to touch/feel....I mean spot you. I have no problem spotting a girl.

squeeks

Jan 3, 2002, 2:36 AM
Post #4 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

come to colorado or fly me out, ill spot you. what a dumbass. i would do everything i could to properly spot them. especially if it were a woman. does he like women? j/k

colin

Jan 3, 2002, 2:36 AM
Post #5 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GOD NO! I'm teaching my gf to climb for the sole purpose of spotting her

I have no qualms with spotting a girl. I guess he's shy or something.

vaness

Jan 3, 2002, 2:39 AM
Post #6 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh god one time this kid wouldnt go rockclimbing with me because he said he wouldnt feel right having a girl belay him his first time climbing cuz he would be embarsed...kinda the same topic

vanessa

greatgarbanzo

Jan 3, 2002, 2:56 AM
Post #7 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ARE YOU KIDDING??? How any man (at least straight ones) could refuse to spot "the right way" a woman after this :

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=1854

[ Este Mensaje fue editado por: greatgarbanzo el 2002-01-03 05:19 ]

graniteboy

Jan 3, 2002, 3:11 AM
Post #8 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I'm not afraid to spot a woman. But one time, I was on a first date with this gal, and we were bouldering. She popped off, and I grabbed her. I thought I had grabbed her by the Lat muscles, just under her armpit, but she slid back against my hands just a little, and I realized I had my hand on her Boob. Firmly.
We both felt a little nervous, but I told her I wasn't trying to cop a feel, and she seemed OK with that. BUT, she never went out with me again. I guess (by her standards) I either spotted far too well, or not well enough. Oh well. At any rate, we (males) never know what women want. But we SHOULD know that you don't want a broken ankle. So spot well, and apologize later. And never wash that hand again....

juniper

Jan 3, 2002, 3:16 AM
Post #9 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, it seems as though thye men on this site have vindicated themselves as excellent spotters, however, I am unsure if your question was seriously answered...

As a girl having only bouldered with guys I would have to say that only once did my spotter let me down, I popped off the rock on what he thought was a really easy move so he wasn't expecting it. Now my theory and keepin mind this is just a theory, is this: that guys, or spotters in general (to be fair) look at the route in terms of their ability and might overlook problem areas that the person on the rock might experience.

Now you mentioned that this has happened before? Were you climbing with the same guy? If so, I would seriously talk to him about your expectations of him as a spotter and perhaps find another climbing partner.
rock on!

nikegirl

Jan 3, 2002, 3:32 AM
Post #10 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Juniper, to answer your question:

No, different spotter...
I even stated, I needed him to spot me. Told him about my ankle, as a previous injury.
Asked him, if he had me... I'd been working a pretty hard problem...

Still down...crank.
Ouch!!! sorry to say, "purple monkey" was not said... %$#%$#%$#!!!

Never even felt a finger on me...
I seriously, wonder...why is it?
I'm just sitting here in disbeleif...PSHAAW!!!!!

I'll be doing that a few days... sitting...dang!!!!!!
T

metoliusmunchkin

Jan 3, 2002, 4:04 AM
Post #11 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally am not afraid to spot for a girl. To me, there is no reason not to spot for them, unless they are some hiddeous monster that will bite your head off if you don't spot them properly. If the situation just so happened that you 'touched' the woman somewhere, well, that wouldn't be a problem, as long as it was unintentional. If accused, the excuse would automatically be that you were in fact spotting her.

blimpdriver

Jan 3, 2002, 4:27 AM
Post #12 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry to hear about your angle nikegirl,
does this guy have maturity problem with girls? maybe thats got something to do with it.

nikegirl

Jan 3, 2002, 4:53 AM
Post #13 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't ask him

Maturity, wise...no.

cooling off, a little now.
BTW, I didn't go off on him, for not spotting me.

~~~cooing off~~~~to just plain---->
notice I'm not boiling...but, still

T

I still want points of view on this!!!

pollux

Jan 3, 2002, 5:26 AM
Post #14 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Goto a club or bar and grab a girl you slapped. Spot a girl and grab you get thanked. Need i say more?

darkside

Jan 3, 2002, 6:08 AM
Post #15 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK don't go all evil on me here T because I'm about to sorta play devils advocate. I've never met you so I no way assume this is how you are but if a girl is empowered and vocal on female rights then some guys may be worried about being accused of 'copping a feel'. There may be some reason for such lack of contact but you would have to think about that one and answer it yourself.
I think most folks have had a bad spot at some point so another possibility is simply that you have just been incredibly unlucky.
I would have talked to the spotter and asked him what happened, but even his body language and reactions after the bad spotting may give you a clue as to what he was thinking. Maybe he was careless, maybe just ignorant. If he apologised it might tell you something.
Anyway I can understand your anger and hope your ankle heals up quick. It has to be a total bummer to have it happen again. You might want to consider not letting either of these guys belay you on the sharp end.
There are good spotters out there so hope you find them soon.

Partner sauron

Jan 3, 2002, 7:15 AM
Post #16 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T,

I'll spot you anytime, girl

As for your question - I could see where some guys are dorks and don't feel comfortable groping a girl - I mean, when spotting you might grab on to the wrong thing, and that would be embarrasing, you know.. And what if the girl yells at you or screams rape or something, because you accidentially grabbed her ass, or tits, or whatever..

So, you better not go off screaming when I spot you

- D.

galt

Jan 3, 2002, 8:23 AM
Post #17 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If a guy is nervous about spotting a girl he should simply say he doesn't want to do it. If you accept the responsibility of spotting another climber then you should be able to perform your job. Sounds like he simply wasn't paying attention to your climb and that is unforgivable. Dump this guy (though he may be nice to introduce to your father) go to your local wall and pick up another climbing partner.

jcs

Jan 3, 2002, 11:33 AM
Post #18 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Nike,
Seems like an odd take on situation to me- guys give other guys bad spots all the time... and i imagine that gay guys give other gay guys bad spots... so it doesnt have anything to do with sex, unless your partners are in serious... deprivation... or something. they are just bad spotters. girls are sometimes bad spotters too. and anyway, a spotter can't insure that you never get hurt at all- they are just there to insure that you aren't seriously hurt, and to reduce (hopefully mostly eliminate) the chances that you will get even a minor injury.

I learned the hard way about spotters too- the sad truth is that, given the seriousness of the job, most spotters arent to be trusted. after three bad experiences- the last one WAY worse than the two you have mentioned, i REALLY have to trust someone to let them spot or belay me now. before you let anybody spot you, make sure that they actually know how to spot... when in doubt show them the chapter on spotting in John Shermans book "Better Bouldering." there are good spotters out there, we just have to find them. if you ever come up to squamish to boulder i'll be happy to hook you up with some quality spotters. until then my advice is to be picky, be careful, and dont let this injury and fear of another one slow your climbing down! good luck.

[ This Message was edited by: jcs on 2002-01-03 03:44 ]

wigglestick

Jan 3, 2002, 3:29 PM
Post #19 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe the guy is just a terrible spotter and would have done just as terribly spotting a guy. Maybe you need to explain to him what you expect of him when he is spotting you.

Also a good spot does not guarantee you will be free from injury. I have sprained my ankle a number of times while bouldering. Maybe you just have bad ankles like I do and are more prone to injurying them than most people. I have never blamed any of my spotters for my injury because at the time I knew that it was not their fault. Spotters are only there to make sure you come down straight and not on your head or ass or back. I don't know the exact circumstances that surrounded your injury and maybe the guy is a bonehead, but maybe it was just an accident.

But as a guy I don't think I would have any problem spotting a women. And I don't mean that in a hey I would love to grab your butt kind of way. But as a fellow climber I would feel an obligation to keep you from getting hurt if I could. I just think this guy was unclear about his responsibility and was possibly distracted by the possible butt-grabbing opportunity before him and let you down as a climber.

case22

Jan 3, 2002, 4:02 PM
Post #20 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, sorry to hear that.
All of my guy friends have no problem spotting me. They're actually quite good at it. Maybe the guy was afraid of getting accused of copping a feel, but he still should have done his job. I would definitely talk to the guy about it. Ask him what in the world happened. He could have also not been paying attention when you fell. If that's the case, I'd surely go off on him.

climb512

Jan 3, 2002, 4:41 PM
Post #21 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T,Sorry to hear about the ankle I am thinking its a perfect win,win situation,spot good, cop a feel

rockandbold

Jan 3, 2002, 6:40 PM
Post #22 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, for me it depends on how the girl dress. If she wear "tight and little" then I'll be having trouble concentrating of course I'll would say no. Heck I even not goimg to belay or climb. Other than that it is cool with me..

ironmask

Jan 4, 2002, 4:43 PM
Post #23 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am an obsesive spotter. Perhaps that comes from years of acrosports. When i was the little guys, I was alway on top of 3 and 4 highs (3 or four people standing on each others shoulders), All kinds of pyrimids, I{ was thrown 25 feet in to the air. And you know, While learning these things you dont always stick them. So I go to appriciate Spotters early on. As I have gotten older, My role changed from the top man to a spotter(thankfully not a base) and thrower (which includes Catching. We were not even allowed to let their feet touch the ground. Once a guy did let a girls feet touch the ground and the coach hauled him out back and told him if it ever happened again he would beat teh H*ll out of him.

We had it drilled into our heads time and time again "Catch First,Apalogize later. And Ladies, If they took advantage of the grab, Thank them, then politely kick them in the balls" (and i have seen that done, not to me thankfully). But in a sport Like that I have seen firsthand how even small falls can be Deadly. WAKE UP SPOTTERS!

Any way, Enough rambling, My advice, Wait untill that ankle heals up and pretend that he DID cop a feel....

Hieeeeeeeeeeeya

Partner missedyno

Jan 4, 2002, 5:51 PM
Post #24 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

now i think i understand why my guy friends want me to get into bouldering....

old_school

Jan 4, 2002, 8:46 PM
Post #25 of 72 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

he must not play on the right team...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook