RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Partner russman

Jul 14, 2001, 1:20 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2505 views)
Shortcut

what is sport climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sport refers to not having to set your own protection (answer to yoru second ?) sropt is where you go to a rock and it is already bolted. all you have to do is climb and clip in...climb and clip in. If you go to a rock wall and it looks like nobody has ever climbied it before and you don't bolt it...but you climb it and you cams and friends and webbing and the like...you are climbing trad(itional).

someone let me know if i explaned that wrong...

the russman

case22

Jul 26, 2001, 9:59 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2505 views)
Shortcut

what is sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My frieds do trad climbing. What it is, there are two to three people on the same climb. One is belaying. When the first person gets to a ledge where he/she can set up a place to belay, the next person climbs up and so on. Sport climbing is exactly what you said. There are already bolts on the wall or the rock. You just have to lead up and hook into the bolt or you can top rope it. However, you can do trad and sport climbing on some of the same climbs. There aren't too many of them like that, but there are a few.

kriso9tails

Dec 31, 2001, 8:14 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't agree that sport climbs are never very long. I've been on five pitch sport, and I'm fairly sure there's longer.

rockjock04

Dec 31, 2001, 11:55 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when I first started out, nobody could explain it the way I understood. so. Sport climbing is lead climbing,(one belays while one climbs, then they switch off when they meet each other). As you go up the rock there are bolts drilled into the wall, as you aproach them take a quickdraw (2 carabiners connected by a piece of nylon) and clip one of the carabiners into the bolt, and then clip the rope into the other carabiner on the quick draw. keep doing this untill you get to a spot where you can belay. then you belay from the top till your partner gets to where you are. As your partner comes up to you, he/she removes the quickdraws as he/she ascends. Pro is like what the above people said. Cams, nuts, hexes. You places these in cracks, they act like bolts, only they can be removed, (most of the time ) Just keep reading all the posts all over the site and things will just start to click.

treyr

Jan 4, 2002, 11:05 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sport climbing is climbing using quickdraws and bolts. For some they feel safer and others they cannot afford a rack.

bigwalling

Jan 4, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do trad climbing it's way more fun instead of clipping bolts. though trad climbing requires a lot more gear which cost alot more than sport climbing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook