RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

eowyn1025

May 15, 2003, 1:12 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

ingrown hairs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

just got done reading the thread about waxing and such...got a question for all you ladies that's somewhat along those lines: what do any of you do to get rid of ingrown hairs? i get them in a little spot on the backs of my calves...i think it's b/c when i'm sitting in class i always cross my legs and that's the spot that my legs cross. i actually have no idea if that has anything to do with it but i still have a few annoying ingrown hairs. any suggestions on getting rid of them? or can you?...

katydid

May 15, 2003, 11:40 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Re: ingrown hairs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a loofah on areas that tend to get ingrown hairs -- exfoliating seems to do the trick for me, along with replacing razor blades regularly and using good lotion on ye olde legs after I get out of the shower.

YMMV,

k.

Partner missedyno

May 15, 2003, 1:25 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is kinda sick, but i love ingrown hairs. getting them out, that is. you know how some weirdos like to pop zits? well i like the ingrowns.

i've found the way to avoid them is to exfoiliate very well before you shave with a scrub, and then at least once daily from then on in with a loofah. (i love my loofah)

then moisturize a couple times a day.

exfoiliating removes the dry skin and perhaps the skin covering the hair, and moisturizing keeps the skin soft enough so that said hair can bust through the surface and enjoy its freedom.

gretchino

May 19, 2003, 9:38 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fawks...I'm with you on this one. I'm a picker....I can't help it!

As far as remedies go, I'm plagued by these things and have found the best remedy is a combo of exfoliating scrubs (trader Joes Salt Scrub is great and inexpensive), dry brushing my skin (actually taking a brush like a tooth brush or larger - depends on where you get the Ingrowns - and brushing away at the dead skin cells against the grain of your hair), a product called Tend-Skin (It's a salicilic (sp??) acid tonic that I cotton ball onto the affected area), then lotion (I prefer The Body Shop's Body Butter or Trader Joe's Body Butter - something healing and thick).

If you HAVE to pick (which I can't stand not too), I immediatly apply neosporin (sp??) on the picked spot to reduce redness and scarring.

Hope that helps!

Partner missedyno

May 20, 2003, 1:07 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i used that tend skin stuff too.... expensive stuff, and rubbing alcohol does the same thing ... i found either product dries out the skin too much and it was good to use just after shaving, but not regularly. the dry brushing thing i'll have to try.... and yeah, polysporin if i pick. nothing worse than an infected ingrown!

ew, gross fawkes fact: worse ingrown ever for me i couldn't get out, got an esthetician to do it... the hair she sliced out was about an inch in length! grossly cool!

jaylaka

May 20, 2003, 1:39 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ew, gross fawkes fact: worse ingrown ever for me i couldn't get out, got an esthetician to do it... the hair she sliced out was about an inch in length! grossly cool!

i'm simultaneously appalled and fascinated. :shock:

it's worse when you have your own kids. you then have another being to pick at. :lol:

jen

Partner missedyno

May 20, 2003, 2:20 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, sick as it is, my partner lets me pick at the ingrowns around his neck. he's a zit popper which i'm not so he understands the fascination. :)

i'm personally off to ingrown land with my legs... i grabbed the wrong razor when i shaved last week.... :shock:

note: shaving with a dull razor both hurts and will also provide you with plenty o' ingrowns.

gretchino

May 20, 2003, 2:59 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it's worse when you have your own kids. you then have another being to pick at. :lol:

jen

Boyfriends work for this too!

gblauer

May 20, 2003, 7:53 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I confess I am a MAJOR zit popper!

Partner missedyno

Jul 13, 2003, 4:14 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

figured i'd add to this:

When i went to see my esthetician the other day, she told me her solution for preventing ingrown hairs. she camps and hikes alot too so she understands that when you're in the back country, you don't exactly carry alot with you.

her advice was to dissolve an aspirin in a bit of water and rub it on the skin where you're trying to prevent the ingrowns. the type of acid in aspirin dries the skin out and prevents it from growing over the hair, thus preventing ingrowns. i haven't tried it yet, i'm still scrubbing the hell out of my skin and then dousing it in rubbing alcohol. need to buy aspirin i suppose.

gretchino

Jul 14, 2003, 3:56 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting Fawks...I'll have to try that one. Sounds a lot less expensive and lighter on the load when hiking around. Thanks!

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook