RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

learnintoclimb

Jul 7, 2001, 4:18 AM
Post #1 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

new climber need a work out
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The best training and conditioning for climbing is just getting out there and climbing hard.

But if you really want a workout that is good for climbing you can try the WORKOUT FROM HELL. You can see it at www.geocities.com/rockman513d/climbingworkout.html

wandt

Jul 7, 2001, 8:53 AM
Post #2 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

new climber need a work out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lose the squats, skimp on the quad extensions and hamstring curls. Forget about the bench press, shoulder press, military press, pec deck, etc. etc. If you really want to do a climbing only work out, do your lats pulldowns, chin-ups with a pronated grip, seated rows, maybe shrugs, and bent-over dumbbell rows. Possibly some bicep curls. Go heavy on the Lats stuff- that's the only thing you want to get big.
Also, check out some fore-arm stuff.
All that other stuff will let you look fine at the beach, but will only weigh you down on the rock. If twice a week you do some push-ups you won't completely wither and you won't risk bulking up too much.
That's your catch 22. That's why I've resigned myself to mediocrity climbing and a fairly honed body with shoulders and chest. Not just monster lats.

Check out the book "How to Climb 5.12" for more specific training tips.

jsm280

Jul 9, 2001, 4:42 PM
Post #3 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the sport,

Workout.... outside of climbing
Climbing is the best way to get and stay is shape for climbing, however here are some things I found which help me.

One... forget about riding or running to get your legs into shape, it’s only good for endurance. I bike and when climbing I use different muscle groups from biking. Find a workbench or the kitchen counter if you don't mind crawling all over it, now put one leg up on the top and stand up onto the bench. Sounds like a kid reaching for the cookie jar, it works. With that in mind look around for anything to climb on, do this at all at different heights and leg placement (close to you and farther away).

Another…. Pull-ups and not just traditional pull-ups. Try finding a place where you can do finger pull-ups or finger hangs. I can only do a couple of good finger pull ups but that is all I need at times and I use the top of a door way (make sure it can hold your weight) and just hang for 5- 10 minutes at a time. About every other time I try to move back and forth across the top of the door (I use double doors, about 4 ft of side to side movement) I am currently working on holding my legs in front of my body while hanging. This works your abs in addition to balance and finger/forearm strength. I also have a pull-up bar with a piece of webbing I use to do uneven pull ups. I swap left and right arm on the webbing at different heights and also do pull-ups with my legs out in front (like a seated position) Also dips. And sit-ups

Outside the above, the other big things are balance, grace and endurance, which come with time on the rock. Careful not to pull anything, start off slow and work up.

be safe and respect the rock.

titan_90

Jul 11, 2001, 4:41 AM
Post #4 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a good website to check out www.trainingforclimbing.com

Dan

fiend

Jul 11, 2001, 5:12 AM
Post #5 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A great hangboard workout was just posted at: 8a.nu

It's got 3 different levels of intensity and the hardest sessions will almost kill you!

robydonn

Jul 25, 2001, 1:52 AM
Post #6 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sherwin, Where are you from. Not much said on your profile.
Roby

case22

Jul 26, 2001, 11:21 PM
Post #7 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend who was a huge power lifter when he started climbing. Now, he's a lot smaller because he was too muscle bound to do a lot of the moves that everyone else was doing. You don't only want to be strong, you want to be flexible. They say that if you can't touch your toes, that severely limits your climbing capabilities.

compclimber

Aug 14, 2001, 12:29 PM
Post #8 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Work Out From Hell could be the difference between climbing 5.8/5.9 or climbing 5.12. Take some private lessons from a local climbing gym because no matter how strong you are you hve to use your feet. As for other exercises hve you tried Kayacking lots of upper body muscles involved. And dont forget some push muscle excercises or you will get some counter antagonistic muscle injury's and those suck.

spider_woman

Aug 17, 2001, 3:55 PM
Post #9 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out trainingtoclimb.com, gives great advice on finger strength, etc.

jds100

Aug 28, 2001, 11:39 PM
Post #10 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to "Search" at the heading of this website (rockclimbing.com), and then search the site for forums, etc. on training, hangboards, workouts and any other keyword you think might generate a result. There's a lot of stuff already on this website about the topic you're interested in.

(In addition: www.planetfear.com, then the training section!)

[ This Message was edited by: jds100 on 2001-08-28 16:40 ]

stirstick

Aug 31, 2001, 9:35 PM
Post #11 of 11 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a "not authorized" error when I tried to access http://www.aboutxsports.com...

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook