Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
What's the nearest crag to Montreal?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

data118

May 21, 2003, 10:35 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1435 views)
Shortcut

What's the nearest crag to Montreal?  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: The_Island: Arrowhead_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How far? Sport or Trad? Accessible by public transportation? Where can I get driving directions (in English)?

Merci,
Martin

hasbeen

May 21, 2003, 10:43 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1435 views)
Shortcut

Re: What's the nearest crag to Montreal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I forget the names but there are two climbing gyms in town and everyone there will know. I got my beta from the one out by the Olympic Village.

ptone

May 21, 2003, 11:10 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Less than an hour north :D
Up by Tremblant there is a crag at Montagne d'Argent.
There is some info in routes under Western Quebec-Montagne d'Argent, and a guide book, available at the crag and probably shops in Mtl...

Nice granite escarpment with 60+ routes, bolted, mixed and trad. Its shady til 11 or 12, then full sun, so bring sunblock!

Was up there day before Victoria day, awesome day, there were other climbers, but plenty of room, and everyone was nice.
I climb to about 5.10+ on a mixed trad route, I kinda think their guide book (or at least the part we were on) was a bit soft, but maybe I just had a really strong day. The area has a good mix of difficulty, from easy hand cracks and ledges to overhung face climbs. Where I was, everything was topped by slabs-sketchy at times coming from an underneath to a slab bulge with nonexistent holds! Typical of old eastern granite.
Routes are 25-30 m, check if you have a 50m rope so you don't short your rap! (Can't often see the base when steep with slab tops)

Oh-it's $6 to climb (+$6 if you are not insured thru a club or Que etc)
A couple run the place, there's a nice campground right at the base of the area, and a guide hut where you can get beta.

Have Fun!!!
peace,
-p

e_wire

May 22, 2003, 2:02 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's several good places to climb in the MTL area. Indoors you can try both Allez-Up or Horizon Roc (email me for address).

Outside, other the Montagne d'Argent already covered by someone else, there's Val David (45 min North of MTL). Simply take highway 15 north till the Val David exit. Once at Val David, get information in the village for where to climb. A lot of climbs are availble there. Trad (all levels), sport (5.10 and higher) and some top rop (beurk)...

Try also Rigaud. It's 45 min West of MTL on highway 40. Follow indications to the Rigaud Ski Center. Once there, a path leads to the crag. Mostly sport from 5.6 to 5.12a. No trad there.

For info or pictures of the above area, go to my website...

www.ianbergeron.com

Have fun.

ewire

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$19.76 (10% off)
$33.26 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook