RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

beyond_gravity

Jan 5, 2002, 5:01 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

what type of lens/body?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, i've just started photography about 6 months ago and i'm wondering what types of lenses you guys use. Right now i'm using a 50mm, 70mm and a 30mm on an Old ass Nikkromat FT (yes, the 1966 version!) Some guys told me to get a fisheye, othes told me to get a New Body (i'm thinking Nikon F65) What do you guys think?

kriso9tails

Jan 5, 2002, 5:37 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

what type of lens/body? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmmm... a fish eye lense is not considered to be overly practical by almost everyone I've talked to. It's one of those effects that needs to be used sparingly or it gets tired and irritating. Certain lenses are really common (eg. 28) and thus less expensive. My mother owns a Nikon F60, and all lenses for new automated cameras are more expensive because of the autofocus feature (I think). I remember that we wanted a macro for either the F60 or FG. It cost over $400 (give or take a little) for the F60, a decent amount less for the FG, and $80 for the extension tubes (FG). I don't like really modern cameras because they are so automated, but they do have many adfantages (eg. autofocus for wild animals). It just costs more. I've only really used the FG, F60, and F3, and so far I like the F 3 the best.

I think it will come down to how much cash you have (or maybe when your next birthday is), and what features you will actually use.

saltspringer

Jan 5, 2002, 7:10 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

depends where you want to go with your photography as well: if you're interested in just taking some cool shots, a "package" system is good (auto-focus body * a moderate zoom, say 35-105mm), if it's pro caliber shots you're after then you need to get very good calibre lens which usually means name-brand prime lenses (ie: Nikkor 20mm, 50mm etc...) that are fast (f2.8 or better) and sharp for selling to mags. The newer AF cameras are great & most of the Nikon bodies accept the old style lenses, the only problem with the AF bodies is that they tend to be mostly plastic and not as durable as the older Nikons (F3, FM2). I'd recommend an F3 because they're bombproof and then maybe a good wide angle lens (at least 24mm) and a moderate telephoto (105-135mm)for climbing and a fast 50mm (f1.4) for low-light conditions. If you use all of these lenses for a while then you'll get a better idea of what sort of shots you like to take and then you can upgrade to more expensive, more extreme lenses.

ratstar

Jan 6, 2002, 1:17 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got mine in a package deal which is alot cheaper and the smarter way to go. I have the Pantax ZX-50 and it rocks. It came with two lenses a 35-80mm and a 70-300mm. I like the body cause you can switch from auto focus to manuel with a little switch.

krillen

Jan 8, 2002, 9:39 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a Minolta Maxxum 7000i body at the local camera shop and a 50mm lense to og with it. for Christmas I got a new (discontinued) Minolta AF 70-210 lense. The zoom came in VERY handy in Mexico over the holidays!

For a fish eye effect just grab a 28 or even 24 mm if you can find it. A true fish eye has limited usage and they tend to be costly.

diarmid

Jan 9, 2002, 4:43 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with a nikkromat if the light meter still works and nothing is 'wrong' with it. I have an old seventies F2 and a Nikkomat that was bought in Japan and given to my father when he was in college all those years ago. They still work fine so long as you want a manual camera. All a body is is a box to hold the film. The other nice thing about the nikkromats is they take Nikon lenses which haven't changed mountings in years, so you can usually pick up good quality used Nikon lenses at most camera stores for cheap. I have a 300M f/4 that I got for $25 ... If you are just starting out I would recommend getting a zoom lens of some type, that way you have a little more versatility for a decent price. Above all: buy a tripod!

rado

Jan 9, 2002, 5:17 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why changing the body if you are satisfied with it? I think it is more important that you are 100% familiar with your equipment and it's functioning. This is even more important if you are doing any kind of "action" photography, which climbing photograpy certainly is.

Best wishes,

Rado

beyond_gravity

Jan 12, 2002, 8:03 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys, If I can get good enoghf, i'd like to make it my job. The reson I want to replace my Nikkormatt is because it's very heavy, and not Ideal for hiking and climbing. I also take alot of photo's of snowboarind and skateboarinding so i'd kinnda like a motor. Will my lens I have right now fit on a F65 if I do everything manually?

saltspringer

Jan 12, 2002, 10:32 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it depends whether or not they're AI (aperture indexed) which is a feature that was added to Nikkor lenses so that the camera could calculate which aperture the lens was set to without having to stop down (closing the aperture)the lens. If they are AI or have been modified (on the lens mount) to fit AI cameras then they'll work just fine with the new F65, if not, most can be modified to AI but sometimes they don't mount to the camera body as well.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook