RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ryesarah

Jan 6, 2002, 2:11 AM
Post #1 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

How young is too young?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hello everyone. I just had a quick querry. My 3 year old daughter HollyFynn is getting into bouldering and has been going with my husband to the local climbing gym. I am very supportive of this but being a mother I need to ask if there is any reason why I should wait until she's a little older. I'd like some feedback before I begin investing money in her equipment. Thank you in advance. Hugs, Kisses, and tongues in your ear.--------------ryesarah

jono13

Jan 6, 2002, 2:29 AM
Post #2 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

How young is too young? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont have a kid, hell i practically am a kid, but if i were you, and im not, i wouldnt worry about it. i think its awesome that a person that young, will start climbing! as long as your husband isnt pushing the kid on really hard stuff, wouldnt have any reason for concern. but thast just me, ciao!

bigwalling

Jan 6, 2002, 4:22 AM
Post #3 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Darn I wish I could have climbed at that age. I'm only fifteen now and I started when I was ten. If the kid likes it then it's probably ok. Just don't push it to far otherwise the kid might start not to like it this happen to me in some sports when I was younger. I don't even think they cared if I did the sports though. So i quit. I think its great to let her climb at that age.

saltspringer

Jan 6, 2002, 4:40 AM
Post #4 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I teach a fair number of children how to climb and it seems as though most of the kids under 6 don't have enough of an attention span for roped climbing (other than the descent!) so we usually just let them boulder around. As for gear, I wouldn't bother with shoes for a few years since a child's weight is so negligible at that age that they stick to everything in their regular shoes anyway...if you want to get your child up higher with a rope, Mammut make an excellent full body harness for kids and they're fully adjustable so it will last you a number of years before she outgrows it. Hope this was helpful,
Mike

jmlangford

Jan 6, 2002, 4:54 AM
Post #5 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My son is 9 and my daughter is 6 and they have been climbing for about two years. My son did about a 35 foot 5.7 when he was 7. Considering the fact that at one time my son was afraid of the height of a bunkbed and he has ADHD-I would say that climbing has been great therapy. It has taught him tremendous sticktoitiveness. He used to give up on everything but the other day he struggled on a hard crack climb for almost an hour until he finally made it-and you should have seen his smile! Climbing is GREAT for kids. They should be taken to the crags as soon as they can walk!

Jan 6, 2002, 7:28 AM
Post #6 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are never too young to start having fun!

socialclimber

Jan 6, 2002, 10:43 AM
Post #7 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My boy is just on 3 years old, he's been climbing with me at the gym for about 6 months. I bought him a harness cause I got sick of wrapping him up in a full body swami rig but it was good value, it will to fit anyone from a youngster to an adult. I'm not worried about climbing shoes for him yet. I only get 10-15 minutes of intrest out of him then he goes down the other end of the gym and throws a tennis ball around for a while. He also loves me to chuck him in the baby back pack and walk in the hills to the crags to watch other climbers. Hes 16.5 kg now so I wont be doing that much longer!

treyr

Jan 6, 2002, 6:56 PM
Post #8 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They should be old enough to know what to do and what is say and not to get hurt!

climber_girl

Jan 6, 2002, 7:05 PM
Post #9 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well one of the ppl that i climb with, his son is not even 2 yet and they are goign to get him to start climbing. the bring him along when we go climbing and he grabs a hold so it loks like he wants to startm, then he falls over, its really cute. i don't think that 3 or 4 is too young.

case22

Jan 7, 2002, 2:26 PM
Post #10 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your child is mature enough to be able to climb and not just run around the gym, crag, etc... then it is acceptable to let them climb. However, if you're trying to teach the child how to do certain things such as tying into the rope and they don't pay attention, then I would re-think about letting them climb. Climbing is a very serious sport and you have to be able to pay a lot of attention to tiny details.

rck_climber

Jan 7, 2002, 4:28 PM
Post #11 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 2 children, now 4 (son) and 5 (daughter).

The rule at my house (wife imposed, of course) was that I had to wait until their second birthday to take them climbing indoors. Sure enough, on their second birthday they both went to the gym and began their climbing careers .

The other stipulation was that I had to wait until they were three before I could rope them up outdoors, and they've both been often since.

Both of them love climbing and love the outdoors so taking them climbing is fun for us all. I haven't had them indoors since they turned three and now they only climb outdoors.

The key to climbing with my children is just to let them do their own thing. I never push them to go higher or climb harder unless they want to. My daughter did a 100' route this summer even!! As far as safety, I put their body harnesses on them myself and (just like climbing w/ anyone) double and triple check it. Then, while they insist they can tie the second half of a figure-8 follow-through knot, I always do it for them. Typically, I belay them from the top of the route so they have something to aim for.

Praise God, we've had no problems, injuries (save for some scratched knees and elbows), or even close calls to date.

Hope this information helps to put you more at ease w/ your child climbing. I find that it's a great way to inspire a love of the outdoors and nature in your children while building their self-esteem and self-confidence.

Mick

cass

Jan 7, 2002, 5:21 PM
Post #12 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last year there was a French couple holidaying and they had shoes & harness for their kid, he was only about 4, but could he climb. Its a tradition in France (someone correct me if i'm wrong) to start kids very young, which I feel will only help make them a better climber in the years to come.

rck_climber

Jan 7, 2002, 5:47 PM
Post #13 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as gear, the only thing I added to my pile in the corner of the basement to get the kids into climbing was a petzl children's body harness.

I wouldn't recommend getting climbing shoes because they grow so fast and they won't get to a point that they'll have that much of a benefit over their tennis shoes. My two usually climb in their tennis shoes or barefoot if the route is pretty smooth.

Hope this helps.

Mick

cyberdragon

Jan 7, 2002, 6:35 PM
Post #14 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say good for the kid. I wish i could have started that young. As long as they are undersupervision and are safe, then let them climb and have fun.

ximiana

Jan 10, 2002, 6:17 AM
Post #15 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I SAY GOOD! for the KID!

I have a nepew that said me , he like to go out with me for climbing, he is 13 years old, and i think is alright, one of my friends have a daugther 10 years old and she go to the gym with he since she has 5 years old, not so often but she climb.

[ Este Mensaje fue editado por: ximiana el 2002-01-09 22:21 ]

brisboy

Jan 11, 2002, 9:00 AM
Post #16 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I satrted when i was 15 when i started now 16 i wish i had started at a lot earlier age imagine how far a head she will be in her age at a later age in climbing comps, climbing builds skilll maturity and many other things that help children to be a better person. Where i live in australia it is disapointing to see how liitle numbers of climber that are below the age of 18

spiderman11b

Jan 12, 2002, 12:13 AM
Post #17 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My eight year old daughter Livvy started climbing this last season when she was seven. she has done several routes outside with my wife and me. She has also led six 5.5 routes in the gym. I think the trick is to make it fun for them and don't expect to much. I hope she just keeps it up and doesn't get burned out.

daggerx

Jan 12, 2002, 1:00 AM
Post #18 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I ever have kids Im starting them as soon as they can craw.

joemor

Jan 12, 2002, 2:14 AM
Post #19 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go for it ...... sounds like youve got a cool daughter and are a cool mum/mom

caveclimber

Jan 15, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #20 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 2 kids 6 and 7 and I think it is great and they love it. My little girl will proably be lead climbing me in a few years.
I wish my parent had gotten me in it when I was their age. Have fun and Join them.

spank_spank

Jan 15, 2002, 4:45 PM
Post #21 of 21 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chris Linder redpointed a 5.10 sport route at age 3.

3 would be a good age to start assuming your child is enjoying it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook