Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

jono

May 1, 2003, 4:55 AM
Post #76 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Re: re: praise to PTPP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im down with both of em. both seem like cool guys too me :o
reading all this gives me different opinions about some of the other people on this site though :roll:

cantwinifyoudontplay2003

May 1, 2003, 7:28 AM
Post #77 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes what we say gets a little distorted on line.... I am sure all of us here would click if we were at the rock... It's all about having fun. I think we should back each other more and try to keep the negative things to a min. CLIMB ON

kevlar

May 1, 2003, 7:33 PM
Post #78 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

If PTPP walked on air.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PTPP....your the true Rock Doctor

YOU are able to make me forget all my pains...butt... I still have need of some advice for the rash on my bumm...I think it may be due to sitting to much at my office chair?

I look forward...or...is it backward? to seeing you for an appointment in May in the Valley

Please make lots of noise...as I am blind in one eye an unable to see out of the other eye.

I will be spreading rose peddles in your path, so as not to let the mighty Dr. Piton's feet touch the ground

Till my eyes focus... :shock: :shock: ....

I bow to the Rock Dr.

jono

May 2, 2003, 7:32 AM
Post #79 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

everybody stop messin with pete, everybody stop messin with adam. they both rule. im drunkn but its all good. u guys need to stop meessin with eachothe and climb. i got two words for u. come on.....come on..... hahaha
btw-goto jonos bar

karlbaba

May 2, 2003, 8:56 AM
Post #80 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/classic/classic.html

climbsomething

May 2, 2003, 8:57 AM
Post #81 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*ahem*

NOW NOW!

I would urge every one of you who dislikes Pete to closely read his sig:

"There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." Oscar Wilde

The best way to spite Pete is to ACT LIKE HE DOESN'T EXIST. Coming around here and publicly detesting him is only going to give him a chuckle, and from what I've gathered, I don't think anybody here actually WANTS to give Pete reason to smile. It has been alleged over and over that Pete lives for attention. If this is held to be a bad thing, then quit giving it to him. Simple, right?

This is not an endorsement for Pete. No hero worship. This is simply a point of order.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if some jackass came in and called me a breathless, quivering Petie groupie. But whatever. Flame on, kiddies...

beth_rotten

May 2, 2003, 9:20 AM
Post #82 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do you all hate this guy so much?

punk

May 2, 2003, 10:51 AM
Post #83 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
See through this clouded haze my friends, come through to the light. PTPP attempting to lead you into a false sense of enlightenment. Hitler and Stalin thought they had the "Better Way", and people put them up on a pedestal just as you are with this rock scaring gaper.

Getting carried on Bone….now this remark is way out of line even if for making your point…you just cant make a trivial out of these historical events…read your history and understand the malevolence they spread with the cost of human life attached….next time you will be allot more careful using those names as a metaphors :shock: :shock:

socalclimber

May 2, 2003, 12:59 PM
Post #84 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not for one hate PTPP. I've never even met him. What some of us dislike is his constant commercial for himself. Calling himself one of the greatest wall climbers around. He is a blind follower of one of the biggest big wall theorists of all time, Chongo. I've met Chongo, he's a nice guy, but a master wall climber??? Nope. As a good friend of mine put it, "Chongo is long on talk and very short on wall". I have a hunch that the book Big Walls by Long/Middendorf will continue to be the standard wall bible for a long time to come.

lambone

May 2, 2003, 2:29 PM
Post #85 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah punk, your right. I take it back. I was getting carried away.

punk

May 2, 2003, 2:49 PM
Post #86 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Accepted, Ill see u all real soon :)

tradrat

May 2, 2003, 9:40 PM
Post #87 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find it astounding that people are actually detractors of PTPP. I find his style of writing amusing and quite funny. So many trip reports and posts are boring and dull. Pete's style mixes things up and makes reading posts enjoyable. As Pete says, "plain vanilla he aint." Too many climbers, especially those that push the standards such as Pete, are far too serious. It is great to see that Pete can balance the serious routes he does with humorus posting. It is amusing to read a post with a little swagger in it, rather than read a post that is "plain vanilla."

Granted some of his posts may be long, but a skill we should learn and use is skimming. His posts mix in actual events to support his systems which make reading the stories facinating. While there is some information that I will never use, mainly because I don't think I'll ever have the cajones Pete has, he has done many of the wall rats a favor by posting this vital information. It is true that much of the information Pete shares on this site cannot be found elsewhere, in books (except Chongo's), or on the net. For this we thank him. His continued efforts in organizing the material he has posted is great, and saves the rest of us a headache in searching for it. His efforts in organizing such material deserve our thanks. It also surprises me that people complain about his posts. As with anything in life there will always be information we do not need, mixed in with this inforatmation are the answers we look for. The key is to develop critical reading.

Petes character and who he is in person is bar none as well. I can attest to this as I have met him the Valley last year. I'm ashamed to admit it but I am a BWT, although I try to keep my theorizing down to avoid this title. I unfortunately had to bail on my first wall last year-so basically I get that frickin' definition. But regardless of this Pete was willing to share beta, shoot the sh!t with me, and was without a doubt a geniune person. He has always returned my PM's, answered questions, was cognascent, and related to what we were talking about.

Pete, thanks again for your work on this site, and keeping things interesting. Don't go plain vanilla and continue to teach the better way.

flamer

May 2, 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #88 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

God damn it! I told myself I wouldn't post in this thread anymore!!
But Tradrat said something I found interesting...."Especially Those who push the standards, such as Pete". Pete Push's standards?? Granted I'll admit that he does climb some hard stuff. But Is it setting standards to climb stuff that been done before, and faster? Honestly if you consider all the crap he takes up a wall, as long as he doesn't bail it almost gaurantee's success. I know this sounds weird but IMHO it's almost akin to fixing lines half way up a route!
You want to talk about setting standards, on walls?
Look at what climbers are doing in the BIG mountains. Look at the stuff going up on Shipton and Nameless...and look at the style(some) of these climbers are using. That's pushing standards. Now I'll reiterate that Pete has climbed some hard stuff, But that DOESN"T MAKE HIM THE GREATEST WALL CLIMBER IN THE WORLD!!! And pushing Standards he's not....
josh

djnibs

May 3, 2003, 5:01 AM
Post #89 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now, i have read almost all the posts that PTPP has put up and i must say that he does have a lot of good information. I have never met (although i am canadian, and i am suppose to know bob and suzy, and PTPP he he) him, although i am sure he is a great guy. Lets just all have a beer, and then go to our respectable climbing disciplines and climb!!! Please? "Would someone think of the children??) - Rev. Lovejoy (Simpsons)

Rock On PTPP!

brutusofwyde

May 3, 2003, 4:49 PM
Post #90 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a hunch that the book Big Walls by Long/Middendorf will continue to be the standard wall bible for a long time to come.

Although I myself don't use many of Chongo's or Pete's methods, I hafta say that Long/Middendorf was outdated the day I strapped on a pair of Russian Aiders.

I'm constantly adjusting my wall climbing and evaluating/re-evaluating tools and techniques. I suspect Pete and Bryan and many other climbers are doing the same.

I'll never be a cutting edge wall climber. But by sorting through information out there for stuff that makes sense for me, be it from Chongo or Middendorf or Copperhead or my climbing partner Em Holland, I hope to be able to move just a little bit more efficiently.

Brutus

eminem

May 13, 2003, 3:39 AM
Post #91 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How many people posting on this site have actually met Pete? I met him a couple of times and was not impressed. He's just like any other spray lord with the exception that he says "eh" a lot more

tenn_dawg

May 13, 2003, 3:42 AM
Post #92 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Will everyone PLEASE just let this thread DIE?!?

AHHH!

Travis

watersprite

May 15, 2003, 12:57 AM
Post #93 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

what time Sat. 5/24?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be passing through on my way to Owens, if 120 is open...

Partner rrrADAM

May 31, 2003, 5:45 AM
Post #94 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
rrradam - have you ever met pete? correct me if i'm mistaken, but i don't think you have. seems like you are as guilty of injecting hearsay and conjecture as anyone. i've met pete, and i like him much better in person than online. he acts like a human being then, and not his online cartoon persona that gets so cloying after awhile.

Hearsay ??? Man how Pete loves to discredit any detractors with that "buzzword".

I think you are missing the logic though...
We as climbers, free c,limbers at least, use the YDS here in America. It is subjective, and is an average of the grade given by many climbers who have done the route. If 95% of the climbers who have ascended a route say it is 5.11a, is that "hearsay" ???

Fact is 95% of the people, climbers and non-climbers alike, who have met Pete cannot bear his presense for long. This is evident when he goes to Curry Village, as the locals say, "oh God, here come's Pete!", or at the gym in Hamilton, Ontario, "oh God, here comes Pete!". Hell, at the Arizona Gathering the members had to endure his presense long enough to be subjected to his "How great I am near death caving experience, where I saved the entire party", till they went to another campfire. Or the numerous females, under-aged and adult, who have had to endure his sexually suggestive PMs, and been scared away from the site.

So again... All of you "fans" need to ask yourselves, "Have I met this guy in person?" If not, then you are believing his own, as he puts it "shameless selfpromomtion". If you are one of the 5% who have met him, and can tolerate him, then I truely envey your acceptance of others.

I've said it before, and I will say it again... His technical info is second to few, but his packaging of that info, and his integrity and ethical character are what I have issues with.

onelung

May 31, 2003, 6:02 AM
Post #95 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adam and other PTPP bitchers,
Envy Me.....But hell no I don't want you too.

I am amazed at people who have such a hatred?Envy?I dunno? for Pete.
You guys feel this for the PTPP? Damn, Yea I met Him, I call him a friend.

As I sat 1000ft up in my ledge on The Big Stone I thought of Chongo's words,"just to be here is bitchin!" and yes if you spend that much time in that enviroment you have to know you are pretty awesome. I think that of any big wall climber.
Nothing in my life has made me so arrogant and yet so Humble as being on ElCap. I understand and enjoy and learn from the guy. And how can you be angry at the fella? Damn he cant weigh 150lbs wet?

Ha Pete is a cool fella and I'll always look forward to our next meeting.
Adam, I look forward to meeting you and all others from this site!

Cheers and Aloha!
Bill

kevlar

Jun 10, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #96 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onelung...

well said...the rock is a common denominator...to join us all who enjoy climbing...

those who choose will find something or someone to complain about...it appears to be their nature...

I have now met some wonderful people from RC.com...an enjoy each an every chance encounter or planned...it is all about the common denominator...

rock on...show kindness over rudness...an you will reap much more in my opinion...

cheers

john

dingus

Jun 10, 2003, 8:06 PM
Post #97 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The key is to develop critical reading.

That's so funny every reply I've attempted has been erased. Blame the reader... rich.

If you don't like what I have to say or how I say it, you need to develop your critical reading skills. Hmmm. I coming around here tradrat. I'm coming around... this sword definitely cuts
BOTH WAYS!!! (burp!).

DMT

passthepitonspete

Jun 10, 2003, 8:49 PM
Post #98 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Many Thanks! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DR. PITON'S THANK YOU NOTE - YOSEMITE - SPRING/03

Holy moly! I really hope I've included everyone - so darn many people helped me out in so many different ways.

It's funny - I come back to the website to find dozen of pages of flames written against me, yet in Yosemite people are literally lined up to to give me a hand! I can't begin to thank everyone enough - it's nice to get a little bit of payback from the hundreds [actually, thousands] of hours I spend writing stuff here at RC.com to teach you how to climb the Better Way. It's very gratifying to your Wall Doctor to know that you are benefitting from my writing.

Many thanks to Brian, John, Randy, John, Bill, Joe, Richard, that nice couple who loaned me and Chad their bikes so we could tool down the pathway with eighty pound pigs on our backs, Irene, Ricardo, Susan, Jen and Justine, Wally, Adam, Kevin, Mica and Juan, Lee, Klaus, Loom, Evan, Alex and Thomas and Ivo, Stan and Chad for the directions, beers, pizza, schleps, hugs, burritos, rescue, bolts, peckers and beaks, more schlepping, coffee, rides, Argentinian whachamacallit tea, free-flowing cabernet, heads, encouragement, internet access, airline flight credits, pats on the back, laughs, and about the most damn fun I've had in a long long time!

See you all again around mid-September, 2003!

Stop by and say hi again real soon!

With sincere and heartfelt thanks,

Pete
aka the diabolical Dr. Piton

coyoteblues

Jun 14, 2003, 4:40 AM
Post #99 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm ashamed to admit it but I am a BWT, although I try to keep my theorizing down to avoid this title. I unfortunately had to bail on my first wall last year-so basically I get that frickin' definition.
I find it interesting that you are ashamed of a title created by the one you so admire. Reminds me of some kind of social class system. Very effective in keeping the commoners in their place and admiring the upper class. Maybe after you too have succeeded on a big wall (or how ever many you believe it will take) you too can move up the social ladder of aid climbing and look down with disdain on those losers (BWT's) struggling on the lower rungs of the ladder.

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 15, 2003, 3:10 AM
Post #100 of 124 (13821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BWT is a fairly common term.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook