RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

jsm280

Jul 6, 2001, 4:09 AM
Post #1 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

I am currently building my own rack and while looking for cams I ran across Rock Empire Robots. Rock and Ice had a small write up recently on CAMs and they were mentioned.
Does anyone know anything about the holding power of these cams, how smooth they are or basicly anything about them???
I currently have a couple of Metolius cams, some tri cams, nuts and off sets and looking for more cams. I pefer to spend money on gear compared to hospital bills, the price of these cams are about half of others though.
here is their website.
http://www.acmeclimbing.com/rock_empire/rock_empire.html

any beta = good

thanx

coach

Jul 6, 2001, 2:47 PM
Post #2 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

I bought a set of the Rock Empire Robot cams about 2 months ago and have only used them twice but find them to be well worth the cost. The action is smooth and the holding power comparable to the WC Friends that I have. Didn't cost an arm and leg which I needed to continue climbing!

Climb On

wandt

Jul 7, 2001, 9:07 AM
Post #3 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs [In reply to]
Report this Post

Cams are one of the things that I certainly would not skimp on, my friend. (Probably a reason I don't have a full rack.) Black Diamond Camalots are the only way to go. Unless there has been a recent development from another company, the Camalots are the only cams with a double axle, so not only do they have a greater range than another cam of the same size, but in those rare cases when a cam may "umbrella", Camalots won't.

Climb safe.

jsm280

Jul 9, 2001, 3:33 PM
Post #4 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs [In reply to]
Report this Post

Thanx,

I lead my first Trad climb this past weekend after lots of bouldering placement and just hanging around a lot. My partner (14 yr. vet) said I had a textbook climb and placement of gear. It was about an 80 ft pitch around a 5.7+ and I only used one cam the entire pitch (more just to place it, I had 6 on my rack). I don't plan to use CAMs unless it is my last choice. I also had the chance to attempt and place some hexes and hated them. I am in the southeast and there are few smooth cracks that accept hexes easily, well the places I have been climbing so far. Right now my gear favorites are the tri cams and then offsets.

I agree about the $$$$$, $1000.00 spent up front is far less than a life flight ride, not to mention with the life flight ride you don't get to enjoy the copter ride or climb the next day (double bummer)

Thanx again,

Still looking and learning about Trad......

with caution.......

[ This Message was edited by: jsm280 on 2001-07-09 08:51 ]

kolby

Jul 9, 2001, 10:35 PM
Post #5 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs [In reply to]
Report this Post

Since the invention of Friends by my uncle Ray Jardine in the 70's, cams have found there way on to nearly every climbers' rack. I personally like the WC technical Friends because of the 13.75 degree angle which maximizes range and holding power. They also have a wonderful trigger assembly that is easy to operate (unlike most U-shaped cams), stoppers to prevent inversion, and are quite light weight.

Because Friends have been around sooo much longer than the other cams, they are the gold standards. Also, a camming device with only three cams is a bad idea because of the relative instablility and lower strength compared to four cams.

One disadvantage of the WC-technical Friends is the trigger cables tend to kink rather easily which results in slightly offset cams.

-Kolby Jardine

Visit Ray Jardine's web site at www.rayjardine.com

ramylson

Jul 10, 2001, 4:28 AM
Post #6 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs [In reply to]
Report this Post

Well.. this is the third try, we'll see what happens. That, and I probably shouldn't be doing this while it's late. Oh well..

Anyways, I figured I would just add my two-cents of the topic.

As for the Robot CAMs, I honestly don't know the most about them. Sorry, but my suggestion for you is to seriously do your homework before you by. See what retailers think of them, check thier website, etc.. but, definitely learn as much as you can about them. Also, make sure you get to "play" with them first.. see what they feel like in your hands. I know that it really helped me before I was about the buy a set of HB's.

I'd also like to say that I definitely fell in love the with CHH Aliens. Unbelieveable. Smooth action, excellent holding power, everything you'd come to expect from a decent cam. I can see why they're loved so much by big wall rats/aid climbers. But the true beauty of them is thier versatility. Having a longer stem, they work great for deep placements, also ease of install and removal. Especially over Metolius FCUs (which I also own), but am also veru happy with. The best part though is thier small head design, with allows them to fit into extremely small cracks or even pockets. I know it's helped me several times already.
Like I said before though, this is just my two cents.

Good luck though, and enjoy. ;>

ramylson

wandt

Jul 11, 2001, 5:15 AM
Post #7 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs [In reply to]
Report this Post

Check out Wallnuts. I think they're made by either DMM or Black Diamond.They're the best passive? static? (non gismo less than $10) protection I've climbed with.

climb512

Jul 12, 2001, 1:52 AM
Post #8 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs [In reply to]
Report this Post

i have a full set of the rock empire robots and micros. i think they are real good,nice placement.the aliens seem to be the best for me. rock empire at 26$ they cant be beat.

kolby

Jul 18, 2001, 2:47 PM
Post #9 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs [In reply to]
Report this Post

Are there any climbers out there that climb with the rigid stem Friends? Are they lighter than the technical friends? Would you recommend them above the flexible stems?
-Kolby

kagunkie

Jul 18, 2001, 5:39 PM
Post #10 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs [In reply to]
Report this Post

I carry a full rack of the rigid friends, I believe they are the toughest cam you can get and are the workhorses of my rack. I save the techs for those times when they fit better or Iv already used my rigid cams.

coach

Jul 18, 2001, 6:19 PM
Post #11 of 11 (5597 views)
Shortcut

CAMs [In reply to]
Report this Post

I also have a set of the Forged Friends and like the ease of them. Good placement and weight difference is not noticable.

Climb On

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook