Premier Sponsor:

skibabeage
Deleted

Jun 5, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #1 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

climb.on
Deleted

Jun 5, 2003, 3:18 AM
Post #2 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Re: Our Bodies, Our Selves [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are looking into medical/surgical options you should contact a doctor in Rochester, NY by the name of Morris Wortman. He has developed many new less invasive surgical techniques over the past two decades that have made hysterectomys the last option for most women. I think he has a website listed under The Center for Menstrual Disorder and Reproductive Choice.

Partner caligrrl

Jun 5, 2003, 3:24 AM
Post #3 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great post :)

Unfortunately, for me it's easier said than done. I know that I am taking risks, with every decision I make. I know that I have to face the consequences of my choices at some point, but alas, I am young and naive and still have that invincibility complex that haunts me and my peers.

I hope to one day move to a simpler life, where I can remove all sythetics from my life (including the human variety that are prevalent in Los Angeles).

Awesome post...really gave me much food for thought.

:) Cali

Partner calamity_chk

Jun 5, 2003, 3:31 PM
Post #4 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, skibby -- thanks for sharing. you are an incredibly strong woman.

mwbtle

Jun 5, 2003, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Skibabeage, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems, but thanks for the post.

I'm with caligrrl, I can't wait to be off of synthetic hormones, and I'll not go on them after menopause, but at the moment, I can't afford to have a child. I just hope nothing bad happens before I can get synthetic free.

eowyn1025

Jun 5, 2003, 4:56 PM
Post #6 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow this was a very cool post. i don't have anything nearly as rough as what you've got but i have a condition called Polycystic Ovaries which has pretty much screwed up my hormones. i've had 2 periods on my own in the last 3 years..the rest have been induced by various types of medication. my skin is screwed up, the medicine makes me a total witch, and on top of it, i have no idea if, when i ever do get married and want to have kids, i'll even be able to get pregnant. your post brought up some points that i hadn't thought of...i haven't been overly careful with what i eat since i'm not even close to overweight but i never thought about it affecting my hormones. i'm getting sick of medication! i'm the type of person that hates to even take tylenol unless i'm in such pain that i can't move so the idea of putting even more drugs into my system really doesn't thrill me. so anyway, going organic sounds like a good plan...i think i'll try it. thanks for taking the time to post all that!

Partner missedyno

Jun 5, 2003, 4:57 PM
Post #7 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amazing post, babeage. thanks for the research... so informative.

not surprisingly i'm also anti hormone replacement therapy. I have discontinued my use of them and feel better already. as i have confirmed with other female climbers that chose to take the same step as me, i have noticed a difference in my climbing as well.

it's always important to get a variety of professional opinions about your health and don't be afraid to do some research on your own. it's your body, your choices... best to be informed...

babeage, you're a strong woman.

rockwomyn

Jun 5, 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #8 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey gwen....at one time i was tested but not diagnosed with PCO, i had all the sypmtoms no periods, bad skin, excessive hair growth...yippee!!! however my hormonal levels were normal. But during this time i did do research on the topic and found a good site for FAQ....the thing i found most interesting is that a change in your diet can be one of the most helpful things you can do and possibly not have to take meds to begin to ovulate and to get your period naturally. check into a low carb diet...not the atkins crap but one that consists of some carbs but only ones that have a low GI or glycemic index. there are numerous books regarding diets that use the glycemic index...it is used for diabetics to help regulate blood sugar levels.

http://www.inciid.org/faq/pcos.html

good luck,
eryn

iamthewallress

Jun 6, 2003, 12:00 AM
Post #9 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great post, skibabage! I'm sorry you're going through all of this BS, but hopefully sharing your story will help others out.

My added suggestion to yours for everyone...Go buy "Our Bodies, Ourselve" and read it from cover to cover!

Melissa

Partner phylp

Jun 6, 2003, 12:44 AM
Post #10 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This IS a very complicated topic.
What hasn't been said is that one of the reasons women age 40+ can have estrogen dominance is that your own body's production of progesterone starts to drop off faster than the estrogen production.

(Read the Lee book on premenopause for more info. It's a bit extreme in stating the case that progesterone replacement is the answer to everything but there's a lot of good info in it for a lay text.)

It's often the lack of progesterone and unbalanced estrogen that causes fibroids, severe PMS, mood swings, rages, excess menstrual bleeding etc in pre and peri menopausal women. To counteract this many gyns give put women on the pill (est/prog replacement) or put them on provera (synthetic progestin). My own research on these topics as well as my having a great woman gynecologist lead to me going on natural progesterone in a cream formulation almost 10 years ago - NOT progestin. Within 2 months after starting my PMS rages and excessive menstrual bleeding were under control.

You can now also get natural progesterone in a pill formulation but I prefer the cream because any drug taken orally has a first pass thru the liver before it gets to the periphery.

I am now 50 years old, have never had any adverse symptoms and am extremely strong and healthy. Of course I also have been a lifelong advocate of healthy eating, exercise etc.

I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry and actually worked for 5 years on a project at a major pharmaceutical company to discover new "designer" estrogens so I've read literally hundreds of original research papers on HRT etc. I personally don't believe HRT is necessarily a bad thing as long as you are taking what you need and in a natural formulation (not synthetic hormone derivatives). I don't buy the results from the recent studies on HRT having adverse effects on CAD - all done with progestin not progesterone.

The best advice is to get a really good progressive gynecologist or nurse practicioner!

enigma

Jun 6, 2003, 6:27 AM
Post #11 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This IS a very complicated topic.
What hasn't been said is that one of the reasons women age 40+ can have estrogen dominance is that your own body's production of progesterone starts to drop off faster than the estrogen production.

(Read the Lee book on premenopause for more info. It's a bit extreme in stating the case that progesterone replacement is the answer to everything but there's a lot of good info in it for a lay text.)

It's often the lack of progesterone and unbalanced estrogen that causes fibroids, severe PMS, mood swings, rages, excess menstrual bleeding etc in pre and peri menopausal women. To counteract this many gyns give put women on the pill (est/prog replacement) or put them on provera (synthetic progestin). My own research on these topics as well as my having a great woman gynecologist lead to me going on natural progesterone in a cream formulation almost 10 years ago - NOT progestin. Within 2 months after starting my PMS rages and excessive menstrual bleeding were under control.

You can now also get natural progesterone in a pill formulation but I prefer the cream because any drug taken orally has a first pass thru the liver before it gets to the periphery.

I am now 50 years old, have never had any adverse symptoms and am extremely strong and healthy. Of course I also have been a lifelong advocate of healthy eating, exercise etc.

I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry and actually worked for 5 years on a project at a major pharmaceutical company to discover new "designer" estrogens so I've read literally hundreds of original research papers on HRT etc. I personally don't believe HRT is necessarily a bad thing as long as you are taking what you need and in a natural formulation (not synthetic hormone derivatives). I don't buy the results from the recent studies on HRT having adverse effects on CAD - all done with progestin not progesterone.

The best advice is to get a really good progressive gynecologist or nurse practicioner!

Unfortunately I know of the demise of taking hormones, A family member whom had breast cancer was prescribed hormone therapy, and recently they have found the link between hormones and dementia , it is too late for her
:evil: \
I will Never put that crap into my body, I rather suffer naturally. :shock:

All those medicines are poison and have toxic effects, even if they say they're safe now ,later the research will find a problem.
Stay healthy ,stay clean, stay away from pills that doctors prescribe.
Belief in Yourself!!! It's All Within You :) Ladies!!!!!!! :P

Where there is an up,there is always a down. :!: :!: :!:

wonderwoman

Jun 6, 2003, 2:47 PM
Post #12 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skibabeage- I am so sorry that you have to go through this. Thank you for speaking up!

When I was about 11 my mom went through a full hysterectomy and partial masectomy due to fibrotic cysts. They said that the fibrotic cysts in her uterus was endometriosis, which is a very unusual (but common in the demographics you described above) condition where your uterine lining decides to start growing in strange places outside of your uterus, and sometimes even forms cysts in areas such as your rectum.

I have unfortunately inherited my mom's fibrotic cyst disease in my breasts and once had to have one drained because it was the size of a ping-pong ball and hurt. My surgeon told me that I could help reduce my breast cysts by taking vitamin E and lowering my caffeine intake. so far that has worked and there are no signs of endometriosis, and I hope there never will be.

However, I grew up in an area that was surrounded by a cluster of medical and municipal waste incinerators and wouldn't you know it - endometriosis has been linked to dioxin. Dioxin is a known human carcinorgen, a hormone mimicker, and an unwanted byproduct of the incineration / manufacture of chlorinated compounds (such as PVC plastic). It also sticks to fatty foods, like dairy and concentrates as it moves up the food chain.

So, when I grew up and some of this surfaced, I became really really angry and became an incinerator activist in my home area and helped organize a grassroots campaign to shut down a medical waste incinerator in the poorest community in the state. I now work as a full time organizer to prevent exposure to toxic chemicals and to move to safer alternatives to PVC plastic.

It makes me angry when I think that we have to change our diet because our food is contaminated with the gross, toxic substances that find their way into the waste stream and then into the food chain. I think we have to take it much further and DEMAND that corporations uses less toxic products and be responsible with how they dispose of their waste. Strange stuff (dioxin, brominated flame retardants, etc) is making its way into MOTHERS MILK!!! Enough is enough. We need to start cleaning things up around here so that we can have a safer planet for our children and all living things.

It scares me that someday I might be diagnosed with endometrios. No matter how purely we live, our bodies are constantly bombarded and invaded with manufactured chemicals. We should make healthy life style choices and at the same time demand a safer and healthier world.

dawggrrl

Jun 6, 2003, 6:47 PM
Post #13 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow!
You women are amazing!
I have been lurking around this board for a few weeks - am planning to take up rock climbing very soon - and am very excited about joining such a great community of women.

More to the point, this thread has given me much needed information on a friend. She had a hysterectomy due to fibroids. But the information regarding unbalanced estrogen is what was really interesting this person has been struggling with depression her whole life, and as her best friend I struggle with it too. Thank you for shedding much needed light.

skibabeage
Deleted

Jun 7, 2003, 1:49 AM
Post #14 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator [In reply to]
Report this Post

deleted
Deleted

Jun 7, 2003, 3:20 AM
Post #15 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

**oh, geez ... i'm sorry -- i thought this was the thread about sammy sosa being suspended from major league baseball** :lol:

seriously ... martha, you're a major babe. i'm damn glad to know you!

eowyn1025

Jul 4, 2003, 2:15 AM
Post #16 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no kidding! wow that's terrible! hadn't read this thread for a while but it's been probably the best one i've read on here in a long time...thanx rockwomyn for the info....i'll definately check out that site

climbingbetty22

Jul 27, 2003, 3:42 AM
Post #17 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad to see this topic posted. As a young woman, I've often wrestled with the decision to take birth control or not. It seems so aluring. Regular periods, less cramping and best of all, no worries of being pg. But at the same time, I've always felt that manipulating my body is such a way was not right. I read in advertisements for birth control pills, 'Gyns agree that you can safely forego having a period for up to three months.' :shock: What?! Does that seem not right to anyone else? I hate how we are made to feel that our periods are a burden and dirty. I realize that periods are a difficult time for some people, but for those of us fortunate to have normal periods, there seems to be no good reason to stop that just because they may be an inconvienence. Anyway, seeing this topic posted just confirmed my decision to not take birth control.
Also, from what I've heard from a variety of sources, dioxins that are toxic, are used in bleaching processes, including the bleaching process used in toilet paper and tampons. I have a BS in biochemistry and this seems plausible, but I'd like to hear from the woman who posted with the Ph.D. in biochemistry. Can this be a reason for uterine cancers? Is buying organic tampons or using other devices an prudent decsion?

Partner missedyno

Jul 27, 2003, 6:39 PM
Post #18 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good choice, climbing betty!

it's been a few months now (or more?) since i discontinued use of the b/c pill. i'm climbing better. on lead again, pushing my limits.

moonshyne

Jul 28, 2003, 1:36 AM
Post #19 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Until about 2 weeks ago I had not had a period in about a year and a half. Polycystic ovaries were considered, but I guess my hormone levels don't correlate. My gyn is pretty stumped as to why, and its interesting how all along the attitude was kinda like, well, 'we'll try to figure this out, but if not, birth control should solve it'. Sure enough, with no diagnosis, I was put on birth control and now have artificially induced periods. I'm glad to have them back but I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that something is still wrong. Maybe I'm overly paranoid and its just a stage....(?) but more likeley, something is not working right, and I want to know what. I'm reluctant to go off birth control cause it supposedly prevents bone density loss( which at age 20, should not be a problem!!). Like a lot of you, I'm wary of birth control, I feel it is a quick fix, and I don't really trust it. But for now, it seems like my only option.

Partner missedyno

Jul 28, 2003, 3:54 AM
Post #20 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

give it a lot of thought.

have a read through this thread here:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30642

for the birth control pill debate. be careful what you're doing to your body. get a second opinion!!

iamthewallress

Jul 28, 2003, 5:06 PM
Post #21 of 21 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moonshyne...for what it's worth, I had a similar problem once, except mine just wouldn't really stop for months on end. It was a stressful time for me, and I assume that has something to do with it, but I don't really know. After about 3 months of birth control, I stopped taking it, and my body seemed to be "reset". I've never had problems again. I don't like taking hormones either, and I agree that it's best to understand what's wrong, but sometimes birth control can help to regulate your period when no one understands what's going wrong.

Additional medical opinions can't hurt though.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook