RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

wudawg

Jun 8, 2003, 12:47 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1273 views)
Shortcut

close calls
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

didn't even get to the crag! close call ,hit on the highway a1/4 mile from home.just wanted to hear about anybody else that almost "bought the farm going" to go climbing ?P.S.WAS LEAVING FOR WEST COAST IN A WEEK{!}WITH TOTALLED CAR :evil: :evil:

hishopper

Jun 8, 2003, 1:54 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Re: close calls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend Josh & I flying up I-87 (or 84, I don't recall) towards the Gunks (coming from CT). As we came around a fairly sharp bend, all lanes went from 80+ to 0 in like 1/2 a second. No problem, Josh put his brake through the floorboard and we ended up about 4 feet from the car in front of us, with the smell of burnt tires wafting all around from just about every car on the freeway.

We sat staring straight ahead, silent for a couple of seconds, until motion in the rear-view mirrors captured our attention... an 18 wheeler approaching fast in our lane began billowing smoke from it's tires. It continued in this fashion for what seemed like an eternity, until an object began to appear from behind the truck on the left side - the trailer. As the truck continued charging towards us, the rear end of the trailer came completely 90 degrees to the truck, filling all four lanes.

At less than 2' from our rear bumper (not an exaggeration) the truck came to rest, with the rear end of the trailer even with the truck, four lanes over (still connected and upright), then the cloud of burnt rubber (still travelling at 60) enshrouded our car like fog.

The strangest thing was no one said a word. The guy never got out of his truck, Josh and I didn't say a word (but a muttered, "thank you Jesus"). Traffic just started slowly moving and we all went our way.

salathiel

Jun 8, 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Re: close calls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Two years ago in february, my wife and I were driving to Joshua tree from Fresno,a five hour trip, four if you never pee. We were four and a half hours in, on old woman springs road in a line of traffic when this red mitsubishi eclipse spins out and hits an oncoming chevy tahoe head on. My wife is a nurse and I had EMT training in the Coast Guard but the driver of the mitsubishi and her infant daughter were dead at the scene. I still have dreams about it and can't smell burning plastic without seeing that little girl's face.
We opted not to climb that weekend and instead visited with a old friend.

Sorry to lay a bummer like that but i thought it somehow appropriate.

climb safe
Blur

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$125.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook