RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

acrofobic

Jun 10, 2003, 2:36 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2522 views)
Shortcut

Accident at Stoney Point this Weekend?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I heard at work that someone was pulled out of Stoney point by helicopter this weekend. Any Info?

moabbeth

Jun 10, 2003, 2:42 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2522 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident at Stoney Point this Weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's what I found on my wires (I work in a newsroom). I'll do some checking around with my buds at City Fire to see what area of rocks they resonded to. If I find out more I'll let you know. Damn, a death at Stoney.

CHATSWORTH (CNS) - A person was found dead today in a remote area of Stoney Point Park in Chatsworth, a Los Angeles fire spokesperson said.
Fire officials were notified of the discovery at Santa Susana Pass Road and Topanga Canyon Boulevard at 11:56 a.m., said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesperson Bob Collis.
Authorities believe the body is that someone who fell while climbing in the area, Collis said.

ikefromla

Jun 10, 2003, 2:45 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a lone climber found dead? sounds like a soloing accident. though i know nothing of the actual incident. a friend at school mentioned it to me off hand, "i thought of you the other day when i passed stoney point, there was an accident and there were helicopters."

jt512

Jun 10, 2003, 2:57 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I heard at work that someone was pulled out of Stoney point by helicopter this weekend. Any Info?

Here's a brief news story I found: http://www.dailynews.com/...0954~1444254,00.html

-Jay

morecrackplease

Jun 14, 2003, 5:59 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard this secondhand from a friend that was there at the time. He talked to one of the police officers there and was told that the boy was apparently around 16 years old, didn't appear to have been climbing but rather a hiker (I would guess that means no shoes or chalk). Apparently he didn't die from the fall, but was unable to survive the night.
Another poignant reminder to ALWAYS LET SOMEONE KNOW WHERE I AM!!! quick rescue could have saved this kid. I think of all the spontaneus trips to the middle of nowhere when nobody had any clue where I was, even the nights drinking at Stoney Point when I was 16. I could so easily have been this kid, or the guy cutting his own arm off.
"I solemnly swear to let someone reliable know where I go and to check in with them when I get back"

cruzinsouthoc

Jun 24, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm..remote corner of Stoney Point? it's surrounded by roads and a freeway to the north isn't it? Anyways, that really sucks...poor guy.

But yeah, it is a lesson to always let someone know where you are. I go solo hiking once in a while at areas I'm familiar with, but even then, I let people know where I'm going and I'll leave a note on the dash of my truck stating my destination, time of departure and when I think I'll be back. The more information the rescuers have to find me..the quicker they'll get to me. Oh, and always sign that trail register and leave a date/time on it!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook