RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ryesarah

Jan 10, 2002, 5:40 PM
Post #1 of 3 (612 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the replies!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies they sent regarding my daughter (Holly, 3)and if I should wait until she was older to begin her climbing career. I just wanted everyone to know that Holly is an older 3 year old and she knows more about rock climbing safety than my husband. She climbed a ladder to the roof of my mother-in-laws house when she was 1, just to show you how fearless she is. I believe this is a good thing but I am teaching her that rockclimbing can be dangerous when you don't think about what you're doing and just being silly. My husband and I have decided to let her climb in the gym until she's a little older and to just do bouldering when we're outside. Here are some more questions for any of you:
1)what are some good harnesses for children?
2)is it a good idea to let her climb in bare feet on the wall?
Thank you in advance.

graniteboy

Jan 10, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #2 of 3 (612 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the replies!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petzl makes a kids harness that my friend's kid uses. It looks OK.
The shoe issue; take her old tennies, grind the bases flat, and glue some sticky rubber on there. It's quik, cheap, and U can get like, 4 resoles out of a single sheet of rubber when their feet are small. It also means they always have nice, snug climbing shoes, because they just grew out of the "walking around" comfort of the old ones, and U put sticky rubber on them. Pefect climbing fit.

socialclimber

Jan 11, 2002, 1:02 AM
Post #3 of 3 (612 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the replies!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Singing Rock make a 'universal size' harness called the "Brio" it adjusts small enough to fit my 3yo and will adjust up enough to fit an adult. so it will be the only harness he's gonna need til peer pressure dictates that it's not cool enough anymore. I made a chest harness from a length of tape. It all works fine. He got a Thomas the Tank Engine back pack for Xmas. Boy,is he proud to strut into the gym with his own harness in his own back pack!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook