RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

doughboy

Jun 12, 2003, 4:10 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1200 views)
Shortcut

Paraplegia / Quadruplegia & Wheelchairs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sadly, the relative of a good friend of mine on the weekend had a tragic accident and was left (at this stage, anyway) a quadruplegic. Now, his accident was actually riding a motorbike and not climbing, howver I imagine it's not dissimilar to the results of climbing accidents over time. He broke his spine near his neck (the motorbike landed on him) and now has movement only to his upper arms and head. This may improve over time, however at this stage it looks like there will only be limited movement to the upper arms.

He runs his own building business, and as an effort to keep him focused on the future, his family and their friends (hence me) are trying to come up with a type of wheelchair that will enable him to be somewhat independant and also be able to contribute meaningfully, both to his family (he's married) and his business. The wheelchairs that we've seen are limiting to say the least. They're normally so bulky that any type of access is impossible unless specially constructed ramps etc. are built.

My question to you all is: do you know of any apparatus that exists that is a little more modern / functional that will allow Mick (the guy in question) to continue to run his building business ? And while you're at it, what are the issues that will be faced that we might not have thought of and what are the limitations etc ?. This is all new to all of us.

Any meaningful and valuable input will be appreciated, either by reply to this post, or by PM to me.

Cheers,
Andrew

overlord

Jun 12, 2003, 5:10 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1200 views)
Shortcut

Re: Paraplegia / Quadruplegia & Wheelchairs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i once saw an article about someone that has invented a wheelchair capable of serious "offroad" use. i mean like goind up/down stairs. im gonna see if i can find it somewhere.

otherwise, try do develop something like a rig tahtll hepl him move vertically when building.

overlord

Jun 12, 2003, 5:17 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, i found the company. i dont know if this is what youre looking for or even the thing i had in mind, but here goes:

http://www.mycycle.si/

they make driving systems for wheelchairs, thus improving mobility.

the rig i mentioned for driving up stair had 6 wheels instead of one, something like this:

regular: 3 wheel:
_ O
/ . \ O˙O
\ _/

so, when you got to a staircase, the 3 wheels rolled and climbed up the stairs, one wheel on each stair. there was also a transmission that allowed the two lower wheels to turn on even ground and the whole set to turn on stairs. i will keep looking for this particular design.

hope i was helpfull.

climbalon

Jul 3, 2003, 11:55 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An inventor named Dean Kamen invented something called Ibot. It has four wheels and gyros so it can stand up to human height by stacking the wheels and it can raise and balance them to climb stairs. Very cool. This is the same guy that invented that new Segway transporter. Very expensive but a persons life is worth some money, seems revolutionary. Anyway here is the link to his company:
http://www.dekaresearch.com/ibot.html
and here is the link to a supplier:
http://www.independencenow.com/ibot/index.html

It may not be available soon but i read somewhere thant the FDA is finishing tests with it. Seems like a great thing so if he wants to wait. Maybe you can contact them.

bigdan

Jul 5, 2003, 9:57 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have any wheelchair beta, sorry. But I can give you a little encouragement. Six months ago I was driving home from a day of climbing in Zion when my buddy fell asleep and rolled the truck. I broke my neck and was paralyzed from the neck down. My left side started moving after a week or two, my right leg a little later. After two months I could walk with a cane, albeit very slowly. Now six months later, I'm driving, hiking, and looking t begin climbing in the fall, thouigh on a far more limited scale than I'm used to (no more walls in a day, least for a couple years!). Now I realize I'm very lucky, most spinal patients don't recover that well. But keep up hope. Any little recovered movement can go a long way towards independence.

alpinestylist

Jul 5, 2003, 10:38 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm so sorry to hear of your tragedy.

I was an adaptive sport majori in college, but can really offer little beta until your friends functional range is established

If overlords site doesn't help, try looking at basketball wheelchairs, they are beefy, but mobile and functional.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook