Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
bouldering at American Fork
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

alpinerock

Jun 16, 2003, 8:45 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1984 views)
Shortcut

bouldering at American Fork  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: American_Fork_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey i just took up bouldering(i've been sport climbing for while now)and was wondering if any one knew of any good bouldering in AF canyon or around it i don't care about the difficulty just tell me where it is thax!

screamer

Jun 17, 2003, 7:29 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1984 views)
Shortcut

Re: bouldering at American Fork [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is some bouldering up AF. The new Bouldering Guide of Utah by Baldwin, Beck and Russo has a section on American Fork. I personally have only bouldered on the House boulder just above the Cave parking.

slcathena

Jun 17, 2003, 7:34 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are that close to Little Cottonwood--I would ditch AF and go boulder Little. Seriously, Little is some of the best bouldering around, totally challenging and about a 35 minute drive from AF.

Pick up the new bouldering guide (the black one!!! It was written by locals as opposed to the other one) as screamer said.

Have fun, Little rules!

bdawg

Jun 17, 2003, 7:34 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Little Cottonwood Canyon isn't to far away and it has some awesome boulders. I would just go there instead if I were you.

chimneysweeper

Jun 17, 2003, 8:15 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to head up there today on my lunch break to get a little bouldering in, but I forgot my AF annual pass. I may end up going Thursday though. I haven't been bouldering up there yet, and thought I might try it out because it is so close for me. If you want to, I could meet you up there. I have the new bouldering book everyone has been talking about, and it has listed about 4-5 boulders up there. Definitely, LCC is going to be much better, but for a lunch break, AF or Rock Canyon is my only option. I would sport climb up there, but I dont have the time for a lunch break...I can get a lot more climbing in when bouldering.

sidepull

Jun 17, 2003, 10:19 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The House Boulder has enough problems to put together a challenging and classic circuit for a lunch break. However, most of the problems are really thin so be careful that you don't over exert your fingers crimping.

If you've climbed Rock Canyon you know about the bouldering wall near the Kitchen. Not that great, but it should be shaded. There are also some boulders further up canyon, but not enough to spend much time on. To build a really effective circuit here you're going to have to do more hiking, which is good for cardiovascular training.

I'd recommend hitting the house boulder.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook