Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
whiped out data base
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

tradmanclimbs

Jun 9, 2003, 10:40 AM
Post #1 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

whiped out data base  (North_America: United_States: Vermont: Central_VT: Deer_Leap)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just clicked on deer leap VT and found that the whole data base of routs was gone!!!!! This sucks. It took me about 8 hours to enter all the rt's . Why should i bother doing it again if it is just going to get hacked or lost or whatever :evil:

maverick696

Jun 9, 2003, 10:46 AM
Post #2 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Re: whiped out data base [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:evil: I hear you there! I to spent a fair amount of time with my limited typing skills and all of my climbs as well as all of the routes that i entered are gone. My question is why did some of the data go missing and not others. And as stated should i bother putting in all of the stuff again? :evil:

tradmanclimbs

Jun 9, 2003, 3:25 PM
Post #3 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess they are trying to fix it and I hope that it works. The summer camps are just starting so a lot of the new staff are checking out the area's near their camps and many areas don't have printed guides as well as many camp counselers being too poor to buy them anyways so it is a bad time to have the data base down.

Partner tim

Jun 9, 2003, 3:40 PM
Post #4 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess they are trying to fix it and I hope that it works. The summer camps are just starting so a lot of the new staff are checking out the area's near their camps and many areas don't have printed guides as well as many camp counselers being too poor to buy them anyways so it is a bad time to have the data base down.

I will be scheduling (and announcing) an outage for tonight around 8PM PST. The routes DB should be 90-95% restored at that point, and I will attempt to merge in any new routes entered since then. If I'm lucky, I may be able to reindex the data file we have in backups and get a full 100% restore.

By tomorrow any camp counselors ought to be able to get what they were looking for.

I appreciate that you are concerned and I don't blame you. This is/was a serious mess.

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 9, 2003, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All my recent stuff added to Malibu Creek, Pirate's Cove, and Suicide is gone also. :(

You are a talanted magician though, so I look forward to it rematerialising. :wink:

renobdarb

Jun 9, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #6 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the same goes for pretty much every route in South Dakota... the areas and sections, however, seem to be intact...

my routes.... ohhhhhh, my beautiful routes.... :cry:

tradmanclimbs

Jun 10, 2003, 4:46 AM
Post #7 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The rt's are still gone so I guess that last nights fix did not work. what a freaking bummer :evil:

Partner tim

Jun 10, 2003, 5:14 AM
Post #8 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The rt's are still gone so I guess that last nights fix did not work. what a freaking bummer :evil:

I rescheduled the outage for this morning. Doesn't anyone here sleep?

We have 34050 routes in the database once again. That's about 29,000 more than MySQL thought was appropriate... *sigh* ...and does not take into account the past two days' merges. The number will likely be more like 35,000 when I'm done, although some routes may have to be re-entered. Which, as we both know, sucks. But at this point I haven't found any more up-to-date of a backup with full integrity.

Partner tim

Jun 10, 2003, 5:53 AM
Post #9 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Routes are back and the recent additions are merged in. If I find a more current backup than the one from late April, I'll merge those routes in too.

If, after restoration, a route that you entered is not in the database; or if a route that a picture is linked to, does not show up; let me know. I'll do what I can to make sure that an updated entry of whatever sort, is re-numbered (its cardinal ID number, used for cross-linking) so that everything works right.

I'm terribly sorry about this, to anyone and everyone that was affected. I did an upgrade over the weekend, with full backups, and was tricked into believing that it had gone smoothly by a subtle little bug in the MySQL server. I really want my subselects back (so that the Routes, Forums, and Gear sections can be represented as trees, from least-specific/most-inclusive down to most-specific/eg. a single problem on a single face of a single boulder at the foot of a single cliff on a single mountain). Needless to say I'm not willing to compromise everyone else's work to get them, so it'll have to wait.

The only good news in all of this is that the First Ascent registry is almost done and will be put in production tomorrow. If you're a first ascensionist, you'll be set up to contact the manager for your area (or, if they don't respond quickly, it will automatically escalate upwards to Doug), and once you're tagged as an FA'ist you will not be bothered again. (I may relax even that restriction, though I don't want total chaos; I'd love to have this be both easy and high-integrity) So if there's any plausible motivation I can offer for re-entering routes that were lost (and believe me, I hate entering data at least as much as ANY user on this site), it is that you may well be helping to document and preserve the history of the route you're describing for a long, long time to come.

And this I can promise you:

We will NEVER lose more than 23 hours' worth of activity in ANY table of the database again. I have instituted full, portable (ASCII-text SQL dumps), table-by-table versioned backups of every single table in the database, revision controlled in CVS, and tested to work correctly for the past 2 days. So this is the last time we will ever lose any significant amount of data as long as I am administering this site.

That is something I will remain publicly accountable to.

Thanks for your support, concern, and vigilance,

--t

Partner coldclimb

Jun 10, 2003, 9:06 AM
Post #10 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And thank you, Tim. :D

tradmanclimbs

Jun 11, 2003, 8:03 PM
Post #11 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THE GUIDE FOR DEER LEAP VT HAS BEEN RESTORED!!!! I noticed a bunch of people clicked on it in the last day or so when it was screwed up so I hope you come back and get the correct data. Nick

ptone

Jun 11, 2003, 8:17 PM
Post #12 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wondering--(it is wed night)

Is this it then? I logged a few sections and routes in Ont and Que after April, some of the sections are there but the routes are still gone, some aren't there at all.

Should I reenter, or is there a chance there will be a more recent backup?

thanks!
-p

PS-Thanks for your efforts Tim--I'm sure you're on overtime already!

psych

Jun 11, 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good question. One of the local areas in Kelowna BC (Lonely Crags) is missing 95% of it's routes still, and my ascents have been reduced dramatically! Some have come back though, but nowhere near all.

Do we now start re-adding whatever routes are missing or will there be a final push for the last dribblings of routes that haven't made it in, from some backup found in between the cushions of Tim's couch? ;-)

Thanks for your efforts in getting most of the routes back though, that was a major major thing to lose, glad it didn't stay like that for long!
Mike...

doughboy

Jun 18, 2003, 6:35 PM
Post #14 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Re: wiped out data base [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

None of mine are back yet either ...

I really can't be stuffed entering them again either ...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook