Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Any climbing in cape cod, Ma?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gblauer

Jun 17, 2003, 9:03 PM
Post #1 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Any climbing in cape cod, Ma?  (North_America: United_States: Idaho: Twin_Falls: City_of_Rocks_National_Reserve: Morning_Glory_Spire)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rescue me from having to play golf! I am headed to CC in early July and wondering if there is any climbing anywhere on cape cod. Bouldering? Any beta would be highly appreciated! Thanks, Gail

rondij

Jun 19, 2003, 3:35 PM
Post #2 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any climbing in cape cod, Ma? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Gail

I'm heading to Cape Cod next week and after extensive research the only place i came up with is Willy's Rock Gym in Eastham. Doesn't look like they have anything really hard but it's something. I am planning on going the two days i am on the island and then i am heading to Maine. I will tell you how it is when i return on the following sunday.

Here is the link:
http://www.willysgym.com/pages/rock_facil.html

robbovius

Jun 19, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #3 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unfortunately, Cape Cod is all sand that was pushed up/deposited by the glaciers back in the last ice age. In 40 years of vacationing there, I can't ever recall seeing any rocks there bigger than the about 10 inches across.

tcollins

Jun 19, 2003, 3:47 PM
Post #4 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once heard they had a boulder. that's about it though and even that went unconfirmed.

gblauer

Jun 19, 2003, 4:35 PM
Post #5 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe, have a great trip. Write when you get back! Gail

robbovius

Jun 19, 2003, 5:29 PM
Post #6 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

y'know, now that I think about it, I was wrong...there are all these stone breakwaters up and down the forest beach, red river beach area in between chatham and harwich, which I've dived off of (much to the consternation of the lifeguards) and I've always wondered where THOSE rocks came from. and thinking a little harder I can remember seeing one boulder about 5 feet high on forest beach, but it wasn't anything you could call climbable...too small. I've sat on it and watched my kids swim.

I've scrambled on the sides of the jetties/breakwaters, getting out of the water from diving. it's not really fun climbing though, since the water makes the rocks all slippery and if you lose you footing there's barnacles down in between the rock that'll give you bunch of nasty gouges.. ask me how i know. ;-/

that's all on the atlantic side.

I canremember ROck Harbor, on the bay side, having a tall breakwter on the entrance to the harbor, all piled boulders. that's it for rocks that I can remember.

gblauer

Jun 24, 2003, 11:15 PM
Post #7 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all! I guess it will be golf for me...

paulthenurse

Nov 30, 2003, 2:36 AM
Post #8 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the theory of better late than never...
My daughter tells me that there is a small crag at the Falmout technology park, behind one of the buildings there. I should wander over there and check it out, but at best it will be a boulder problem.
Let me know when you come this way again and I'll give you the beta on the Cape.
PTN

dirtbagginit

Nov 30, 2003, 4:17 AM
Post #9 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow thats funny you bring it up. I used to live in Chatham for a couple of years which is kind of the halfway point. One day someone told me of a big boulder people would climb, it was in a park within close range, damned if I remember then name of the park, wish I could. Anyway, it was next to the parking and it was big wide twenty footer. I climbed three or four routes that I just kind of made up and didnt submit because I thought it was all done before. Nothing serious--- Id call it V3 ish but a nice break from the great great mountain biking there in Sandwich :wink: If the location comes back to me Ill let you know (Big boulder in sand land- they makd a monument out of it ;)_

capeclimber

Dec 3, 2003, 7:39 PM
Post #10 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I have climbed the rock in the Falmouth Tech park, and it is decent for practice. Tall enough to climb, but not so tall to need TR. Anyway, I've got directions if anyone wants them... and pics... It's about 11' or 12' in some places and SHARP stuff in others. One of my friends tore a nice gash in his pinky once but as long as you are careful, it's actually quite nice.

There is another one in BB Woods that is pretty small but also has some good practice stuff - good sized crack, a ledge that wraps around the rock.

Deryk

gblauer

Jul 8, 2004, 2:05 PM
Post #11 of 13 (7173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's that time of year again and I will be in Chatham from the 10th to the 17th. Anyone want to climb somewhere?????

gblauer

Jul 1, 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #12 of 13 (5060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Any climbing in cape cod, Ma? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's that time of year AGAIN.

Anyone feel like climbing at Carabiners?

RudyB

Nov 9, 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #13 of 13 (4923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [capeclimber] Any climbing in cape cod, Ma? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two boulders that I have climbed in BB Woods, if you selectively choose only the harder hand and foot holds they can make some nice puzzles. I know of a couple of other large boulders in the area that I haven't climbed. You have to bushwack your way to some of them, they aren't visible from the trails or the road. There is a really big one on the other side of Ter Heun, on private property I think but sheltered in the woods. I'm going to go check it out, now that I remember it. I've never heard of the climbing behind Technology park but I'm also going to make my way there when I go home next week.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook