RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

justindonnell

Jun 20, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Tennessee
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm living in Lafayette this summer and am having major climbing withdrawls. I figured somewhere in the Tennesse area might have some climbing. I don't know though seeing as how I've never been in that part of the country. It'd be awesome if someone could give me some tips on places to go within a days drive of here. Thanks.

nopro

Jun 20, 2003, 5:49 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Tennessee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know where Lafayette is (or which one it is) but if you are in eastern Tennessee--aka the Sandstone Belt-- you are in luck. I'm sure you'll get bombarded with 50 more replies saying the same thing, but here are some of my favorite spots to climb, all in eastern Tennessee, within an hour driving of Chattanooga: T-Wall and Sunset Rock (mostly Trad) and Foster Falls (mostly sport) are the three areas I miss the most. These areas are, in my humble opinion, world-class in quality and each offers hundreds of excellent routes to choose from. If you're near North Carolina (which you are, if you are near Chattanooga) there are also some great climbing areas with longer routes. One really cool thing about climbing in eastern Tennessee is that there are so many climbers living there, you'll always have a partner. Check out Rock Creek Outfitters (the local shop in Chattanooga) to find partners and to buy the local guide.
Have fun climbing in Tennessee. I am jealous! (I live in California now and get to visit Tahoe and Yosemite often, but I still miss Tennessee!)

dingus

Jun 20, 2003, 5:57 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, Lafayette (in Tennessee that's pronounced La FAY et)... is in the southern part of middle Tn. You're less than 2 hours from some of the best sandstone climbing on the planet dude! There are guidebooks and web sites galore that speak to the wealth of climbing in the area.

Lafayette itself is not in a climbing area however. Nice town, as far as small towns go. McMinnville would have been better though!

Raised in the Volunteer State...

DMT

anchor_shark

Jul 21, 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your only a few minutes away from what is known as the Devil's Racetrack. There's a few good climbs there depending on your skill level. If you like me and several of my friends go to the Obed if you wanna drop an email to me at therealpaintballjoe@hotmail.com I'm sure we could make room on our trips.

"Often cloned but never fully replicated...Paintball Joe!"

tenn_dawg

Jul 21, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM me dude. I meet up with new climbers almost every weekend and have climbed nearly every crag in this part of the world. I won't start with typing a list, but I may be in your neck of the woods next weekend with a friend. You are welcome to join us.

Travis

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook