RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

beyond_gravity

Jan 15, 2002, 8:07 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut

How do I Stick bigger dynos?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Theres this one Dyno that i'm almost got, but I need to get like 1 cm higher. I just got back from bouldering with biff for a bit, and he was tossing some huge dyno's. How do I get my legs to shoot me that fast and far?

paintinhaler

Jan 15, 2002, 8:20 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut

How do I Stick bigger dynos? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bend your legs and get them up as high as you can with falling over or you can go to http://www.climbxmedia.com then go to "Pro Tips" and then tip 4. He will help alot with your dynos. peace

ratstar

Jan 16, 2002, 7:24 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep at it. We have a dyno at rockreation set at 8 feet from your hand holds it so tough and I get closer all the time. Just pull up your feet like he said and you'll stick it sooner or later. BTW dynos are awesome.

Partner pianomahnn

Jan 16, 2002, 8:09 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if you posted this before or after we talked in the chat room, but I'll reiterate what I said for anyone else who may be wondering the same thing.

When doing a dyno, your motion is created from fast twitch muscles. The faster you go from a crouched, to extended position, the farther your body will go. It is all about the concepts of physics, a positive velocity against a negative acceleration. The greater the initial velocity, the farther you will move with that constant negative acceleration (gravity) acting against you.

Fast twitch muscles can be developed, but with any physical activity, a certain bit of natural ability is involved in this. Sprinters have very developed fast twitch muscles, where as distance runners do not. People who are able to dyno great distances have better developed fast twitch muscles than those who cannot.

Most of the spring will come from the legs, with the use of your arms as guidance towards the next hold. This is why the development of the fast twitch muscles in your legs is so vital to increasing dynoing distance.

I had mentioned to Beyond_Gravity last night in chat one method of increasing the strength of the fast twitch muscles. There is a machine located in every health club/gym I've ever been to. Due to a lapse of recall, I cannot think of the name. Its used for working the quadracepts and calf muscles, primarily. This is a wonderful machine to give your jumping muscles a good workout. It's the one where you lay down on your back, and you have a sheet of metal you push against, and you slide backwords on the machine.

The workout can proceed a few different ways. The idea is to launch yourself so that your feet come off the metal sheet, simulating a jumping motion. When I did this, I did it in the following manner:

• 50 @ 10 lbs
  • 40 @ 15 lbs
  • 30 @ 20 lbs
  • 20 @ 25 lbs
  • 10 @ 30 lbs
  • 20 @ 25 lbs
  • 30 @ 20 lbs
  • 40 @ 15 lbs
  • 100 @ 10 lbs

I did these all together, in one set. Now, you can always adapt my suggestion to fit your own fitness level. Its always best with any new workout system to start off slow, because the worst thing to do is try and rush results, it will only kick you in the long run. Add or subtract more weight, increase or decrease or your reps, but make sure you're launching yourself just like you would when you jump, that way you get the full effect.

I had also made reference to these shoes that were marketed primarily to basketball players. They had a very elevated sole at the ball (front half) of your foot so your heel would no touch the ground. This would develop the calves, and the quads to a lesser extent.

One thing that probably won't do a whole lot for increasing jumping are squats. Granted they will have some effect because your legs will get stronger, you wont develop the muscles in a manner related to dynoing. A dyno is a very fast movement, explosive. Squats are a controlled, smooth, relatively slow movement. Recall, the slower the velocity, the lesser the distance traveled against gravity.

Please keep in mind, what I've said are things that worked for me. I'm not a professional in any way, just offering my experiences.

[ This Message was edited by: pianomahnn on 2002-01-16 08:10 ]

Partner pianomahnn

Jan 16, 2002, 11:07 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I focused on the physical aspects of the dyno, mono pointed out another very important aspect of dynoing; focus. Number one way to lose your focus, bouncing up and down to "build momentum." That's when you fail your dyno. It psyches out 999,999 our of a 1,000,000 dynoers.

I've noticed from my experiences that if I "bounce" I miss, if I just set up and go, I make it. Focus on the finishing point, and if you don't touch it (just too damn far away), at least you'll be on the right path.

Dyno on, peeps!!

colin

Jan 16, 2002, 2:38 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plyometrics will help you much more than weightlifting...they're fast twitch specific excercises that I do for track (I'm a sprinter/jumper).

You can learn about these excercises here

I hope that helps

Stupid HTML...

[ This Message was edited by: colin on 2002-01-16 14:39 ]

Partner pianomahnn

Jan 16, 2002, 2:42 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boom, I didn't say they did nothing, I said they won't be the most effective. I've done plenty of squats in my day, and as far as building muscle, they're wonderful, it gives you some serious strength for pushing off, but it doesn't work those fast twitch muscles the way my little technique does.

A combination of both wouldn't hurt at all.

beyond_gravity

Jan 16, 2002, 7:33 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

both thoughs workouts were killer! too bad i'm sore now, and i'm going skiiing tomorrow! arg

dontneedfeet

Jan 16, 2002, 9:02 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do a lot of cycling...that seems to help a lot with height. I always seem to get dynos before my friends. Great way to build up anaeroblic tolerances too. Point is, strong leg muscles, and absolutely no hesitation before you go. One last thing - I always seems to stick more dynos when I aim for a point slightly behind the hold I'm going for. Personally, I find staring at the hold I'm going for causes me to just slightly out too far, and makes it hard to stick. Hope this helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook