Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Attn: Boise Boulderers
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

elvislegs

Jun 30, 2003, 8:16 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Attn: Boise Boulderers  (North_America: United_States: Idaho: Boise: Table_rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Fortess at Table Rock is being chipped. I had heard rumors, but finally got over to see it the other day. Just to the left of the regular route several gouges were made in the rock down low and to the right of this route. l
V
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mp.cgi?Detailed=1388

They have subsequently been filled by locals who care.

However, if you see this happening, confront these weakmos and show them which hole to put their drill in. They are ruining established problems.

dr.atomic
Deleted

Jun 30, 2003, 8:44 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Re: Attn: Boise Boulderers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was leading up superman rock a few weeks ago, when i heard the sound of someone banging on rock. I was confused as to what the noise was, and told my belayer to lower me to the deck. We both walked towards the sound, and peeked over a boulder only two see 2 men and a women(on the fortress), the women was fairley obese ( not having the image of a climber i figured she must have been one of the sorry spectators) probably in their early 20's, banging away at the previously filled lower portion of the rock with another rock. I found it mindless and selfish to do such a thing.
Im 16 years old, and as people would most likley target a teen to do such a thing, i myself would never think of performing such a irritable and betraying stint.
These people performing this scutwork need to be taught a lesson...

kalcario

Jun 30, 2003, 8:52 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh...pardon me for noticing but surely this thing has already been quarried, yes?

elvislegs

Jun 30, 2003, 9:04 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

20years ago. What's your point?

The problems in question have been out of the currently quaried area for a long time. Many problems have been established, guidebooks written. This is no longer the quarry area, it is a climbing area, and fat asses with chizzzzles are not welcome. I think I can speak for the local climbing communitywithout much danger of misrepresentation whe I say that this is bad form where it is happening. It's not really an issue.

kalcario

Jun 30, 2003, 10:09 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, I just can't see getting all worked up over quarried bouldering, I mean, all the problems are pretty much man-made anyway, right? Somebody said the fat lady with the chisel was "banging away at the previously filled lower portion of the rock with another rock." Sounds to me like she was striking a blow for purer quarry bouldering ethics. Out here when we beat on filled quarry drill scars we use a chisel and hammer-I like her ethics in using a rock-sounds more natural!

elvislegs

Jun 30, 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just because it was chipped when it was made means it is cool to do so later?
The problems in question are some of the last UN-CHIPPED problems in the area, and I'd like to keep it that way,as would many other localz.

BTW, These people chipped with a tool of some sort first. The holes were filled. Then they re-chipped with a rock (fat lady crew) when they evidently came back, but forgot their chizz.

Degrading problems that other climbers love and might even be projecting SUKZ, end of story.
I don't care if it was originally dynomited to dust, reconstituted, and dyn-o-myted again by some "WE MAKE ROKZ FOR YOUR YARDZ" company.
I think CLIMBERS should leave the rock as they find it. I don't think CLIMBERS should chip ever. Especially when it downgrades established problems to make them easier for their weak asses to climb.

I live in the area and I KNOW a ton of climbers here. NOBODY I KNOW THINKS THIS IS COOL. Our local climbers alliance is a very environmentally minded group, and this is pissing them off. BCA works with fish and game people to ensure we don't chase off raptors, cleans up trash at local areas, maintains trails, etc. SHITE like THIS CHIPPING takes away from the work that the good climbing peeps have done around here. So I'm gonna go ahead and get worked up K???

kalcario

Jun 30, 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*Our local climbers alliance is a very environmentally minded group, and this is pissing them off.*

Last time I climbed at the Black Cliffs the locals were totin' .22's to plug the rattlers with. Say hi to my old YoValley homey Cade Lloyd fer me willya?

elvislegs

Jun 30, 2003, 10:56 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When were you at the black cliffs?
There are TARDS at every crag.

I don't own a gun, I don't own a pea shooter. I almost got hit Wed by a 3ft rattler on my way to the spot where the chipping happened. I backed off and went a different route, because he was there first, and he warned me.

...And I still think the chipping sucks. Don't think you will convince me differently.

You should come back this way to climb some more. We will climb, you can visit your friend, and I will buy the beer while we discuss why I don't like chipping.

dr.atomic
Deleted

Jul 2, 2003, 12:12 AM
Post #9 of 9 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I deem "Elvislegs" diplomatic, impeccable and precise in his hoedown against chipping.
And i, being a boise local, comprehensively agree without further question...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook