RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

dhoyne

Jan 17, 2002, 5:22 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Gearing up, so to speak.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I always use draws connected to the bolts in the rock. You get the least metal on metal friction that way. Running the rope through webbing is asking for a fall after the friction burns a hole through the webbing.

maculated

Jan 17, 2002, 5:11 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Gearing up, so to speak. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, so . . . I'm just a lowly top roper who's been mooching off friends. it's time to add rope, etc to the picture.

I'm a bargain hound, and in respect to rope, if its got a good UIAA rating, then okay.

But I've seen people set up the top rope with quick draws, slings, webbing, just biners . . . if I want to be efficient about my purchasing, with getting a rack down the line, what do you all recommend in regards to setting up the top anchor?

wigglestick

Jan 17, 2002, 5:58 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alot of stores are having closeout sales right now. I just picked up a 10.5X60 bluewater rope for 75 bucks at the 50% off table at EMS. Check out REI too I know they are having a sale also. For top roping you can get away with a bunch of webbing which sells for about 0.25 per foot. How much webbing you need and what lengths to cut it into depends on where you are climbing and what kind of anchors you are using. Also get a half dozen biners or so and maybe a couple of cheap lockers, like locking enduros for anchors. I am assuming you (and your partner) already have a harness and belay devices w/ lockers. Hope that helps.

maculated

Jan 17, 2002, 6:42 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice, folks. I'm extremely jealous of your access to the EMS sale. I'm in a remote area and there aren't ANY sales to speak of here. $75 is a real steal! (And yes, have the harness and belay equipment.)

dustinap
Deleted

Jan 17, 2002, 7:32 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd suggest 7 or 8 mil cord instead of webbing, once you start leading, you'll like the cord alot more!

QD's are good for setting up trs, fast and efficient.

www.rei-outlet.com has some ropes cheap. New England Ropes, make a rope called, "escalades" it's 10.5x60, it's about $119. Fine rope for the price.

reno

Jan 17, 2002, 8:26 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've noticed some decent package deals from Shoreline Mountian http://www2.mailordercentral.com/shorelinemtn/

Though I've not used them for gear (I go to a local climbing shop,) the prices seem decent.

Many other gear companies have websites....look to the "Gear" section here.

My first purchases were: Harness/belay/chalkbag package from BD, Shoes, Rope, Static line rope, a dozen D biners, a few slings, and a few locking biners. After that, I generally buy a new piece once a week.

JRB

colebatch

Jan 20, 2002, 8:46 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To get good prices find a street with two or three gear shops, they will be used to competition, price matching etc. You will never get particulary great prices off the net case there's no bargaining. Climbing gear tends to have a big markup so that's why 50% sales arn't that uncommon - try getting that on a kayak. Even if there are no sales, work out what you want and go straight to the manager, don't settle for less than 20% but try for better. Lastly who really cares about brands, overpriced yet fashionable equipment seems rampant in the sport.

joemor

Jan 22, 2002, 1:56 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you want to do it cheep ..... what a laugh. i thought i was goin to do it the same sort of way as you, bargain budget ect. but after going in to find the cheepist stuf and the minimum i can get away with, the bug bit and a few weeks later ive got a lead rack for trad........ try all you like, but i know oh too well, once you start, you cant stop.

enjoy the addiction

joe

floof

Jan 22, 2002, 9:21 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In addition to all the tips above, I'd suggest getting some reading material. I read "Toproping" by S. Peter Lewis. It's about toproping....

- John

kman

Jan 22, 2002, 12:25 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Joemor. Crack...er...rock... climbing is an expensive habit to get into if you plan on getting all of your own gear.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook