RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

boretribe

Jan 20, 2002, 12:39 AM
Post #1 of 1 (363 views)
Shortcut

If you brought a crash pad use it!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few months ago I was working on a 40' crimpy traverse problem that was kicking my butt. After about an hour my finger tips were screaming but I still wanted to climb. I walked to the downhill side of the boulder and saw a nice line that was, although rather high, doable. The landing looked pretty soft ( a lot of leaves on the ground) so I just threw my pad down and jumped on the problem. About 18' up my finger pops out of a pocket and I go flying 10' back and all the way down. I hit the ground 8' from my pad and land on a nicely conceled rock with my right heel. I spend the next 10 minutes rolling around in the leaves cursing my own stupidity. Figuring that I have just badly bruised my heel and pissed of that my own laziness was getting the best of me I get back on the rock and send the problem (after repositioning my pad). The process of getting out of my Miuras and hiking back to the car was an adventure that I never want to repeat. The next day I figured that I should have it x-rayed 'just incase' and lo and behold I had a fracture. All the following month that I spent on crutches I couldn't stop thinking 'you paid $120 for a good crash pad, you drag it out with you whenever you climb but you won't spend a couple of minutes figuring out where you might need it most.' I figure I got lucky, it was only a hairline fracture and I was back on the rock (much more carefully and with a great spotter) before I retired the crutches.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$1.58 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook