Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Questions on Climbing in Slovenia
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

kzemach

Jul 12, 2003, 4:38 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Questions on Climbing in Slovenia  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Moab: NE_Lake_Powell: Two_Mile_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning on a trip with a friend in September to climb in Slovenia/Croatia and have some questions; hoping someone can answer (Croatia related questions posted in that area's forum).

1. Other than the downloadable guides at www.coronn.com, how do I find out about climbing in Slovenia? Navigating the routes in this website is just too tedious; is there a place I can buy a guidebook (in English) for Slovenia?

2. Is it all sport, or is there good trad there too?

3. Any recommendations for places to stay, things to see besides the climbing? We've got two weeks.

Thanks!

Ken

thomasribiere

Jul 12, 2003, 4:46 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Re: Questions on Climbing in Slovenia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hello,
you should send a Private Message to overlord who is the only user from Slovenoa on rc.com. Unfortunately, I think he is now in holidays, but try to mail him anyway. Otherwise, I suppose that few climbers from Austria or Germany might have some info on Slovenia...

overlord

Aug 20, 2003, 7:35 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Re: Questions on Climbing in Slovenia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can get the guidebook for slovenia in a bigger bookstore in Slovenia. and it is written in slovenian, english, german and italian, so you shouldnt have any probelm using it.

you can get more info online on http://www.plezanje.info/novice.php, but unfortunately it only in slovenian. you can just click on the link "slovenska" (heres the direct link:http://www.plezanje.info/...ountry=1&sort=izleve) and it will list all of slovenian crags.

I do mostly sport, but you can get some good trad in osp and in the alps. you can also get guides for trad, but theyre region oriented (theres a lot of trad in our mountains).

if you wnt to camp, you have many camps throught the slovenia. if you would like to do trad, i reccomed the camps in bled/bohinj area or in Logarska valley siply because theyre near the mountains. and you can also camp outside (unless its in a nationa park), but ask the locals.

as for things to see. if you like outdoors, i reccomend seeing Pokljuka (a mountain plain above Bled and Bohinj), the Triglav national park (triglav is the highest Slovenian mountain, 2864m, the park is mostly mountains, with some cool valleys and mountain lakes), Kocevsi rog (forest), tha lakes of Bled (it has an island), Bohinj and Cerknica (it is a carsic lake, so its sometimes dry), the valleys of Trenta, Vrata, Kot, Krma and Logarska valley. all of our mountain ranges.

for culture, you can visit Ljubljana (national capital with many galleries and museums), my hometown Celje (museums, some old houses and street, a castle on the hill, and the westernmost temple to Heracles in Europe), Ptuj (an ancient town on the drava river), Vace (a village in the geographical center of Slovenia), Studor in Bohinj, the seatowns of Piran and Koper. and lots more.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook