RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

naitch

Jul 13, 2003, 7:38 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1080 views)
Shortcut

Does Anyone Use a Bowline On a Bight?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I normally use a 3 biner set up where the interior (middle) biner that's part of the tightening system is attached with a clove hitch. Today we had it so tight that when we took it down I almost wasn't able to loosen it so we could change the length. We are constantly taking it with us when we travel so we need to be able to break it down quickly and easily. Which brings me to my question.

Does anyone ever used a bowline/double bowline on a bight to hold the interior biner in a slack line system? It seems like it is a knot that can easily be untied when the pressure is taken off the system. This would allow quick and easily respositioning of the biner (and thus the overall length of the system.

woods

Jul 15, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1080 views)
Shortcut

Re: Does Anyone Use a Bowline On a Bight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The nice thing about 4 versus 3 biners is being able to spread the two biners apart afterwards to losen the knot from the inside. You could try using two biners in the clove hitch instead of just one, and then just clipping the webbing through both.

If you pull the two ends of a double bowline sharply away from each other (as I presume your 3-biner setup would do), it tends to invert a little and then binds up anyway.

If you just need a way to be able to untie a water knot afterwards (the common way of making a loop in the end of webbing), just clip two biners side-by-side with their spines through the middle of the knot, so that you can use them to work the knot free afterwards. The knot doesn't slip, despite being wrapped around the biners. Cleaner than a double bowline in webbing, and works every time.

--Scott

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook