RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

scottcody

Jul 15, 2003, 3:34 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Between Denver and Breckenridge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is the best crag between Denver and Breckenridge?

Sport, Trad, Bouldering, hell even Aid, its all good

My brother is picking me up from Denver airport Saturday morning and I would like to get a day of cragging in before we get back to his place in Breckenridge.
I'm looking for some kind of on the way, we will be heading to RNMP later in the week.

Let me know if you want to meet us at the crag or get in a little "phat tire" on sunday.

Thanks a bunch

killclimbz

Jul 15, 2003, 3:39 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Re: Between Denver and Breckenridge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about being the best crag but North Table Mountain is just off of I70 and would be on the way. Your other most convenient option (and probably better) would be Clear Creek Canyon. Not only do you have lots of little cragging areas but you can just drive up the canyon and get back on I70 a few miles before Idaho Springs. Short approaches mostly sport climbing. Mark Rolofson has a guide for Clear Creek and Falcon (or whoever it is now) publishes one for Table Mountain. Enjoy!

petsfed

Jul 15, 2003, 3:43 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hit Eldo if you can. Its the place to go for trad. Clear Creek Canyon is pretty good too. Don't waste your time with North Table though. There's better sport in Clear Creek and Boulder Canyon.

killclimbz

Jul 15, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually forget the Table Mountain comment. Climb in Clear Creek, lots of shade to be had. Anarchy Wall, Wall of the 90's, Cat Slab, and others should all have morning shade for your climbing pleasure.

atg200

Jul 15, 2003, 3:52 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

even better would be to go to breckenridge via US 285 and then up 9, and hit the south platte. bucksnort slab, sphinx rock, squat rock, and a few others are very roadside and only 15 minutes or so off 285. mostly trad routes and somewhat runout slab routes, and the occasional clipup. the classic dihedral on bucksnort slab is perhaps the best single pitch of 5.7 crack in the state of colorado, and the bucksnort saloon just down the road is a good place to get a beer.

ambler

Jul 15, 2003, 3:54 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Clear Creek is the most convenient sport climbing between Denver and Breckinridge. The cliffs look ugly and the traffic is worse, but the rock is surprisingly good. Take 6 instead of I-70 to start out.

There are other crags up past Idaho Springs, but they require more energy to locate & approach; for a stop along the drive it's hard to beat Clear Creek.

Choose a face in the shade, and don't leave valuables in your car.

alpnclmbr1

Jul 15, 2003, 4:58 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the drive to RMNP from breck be sure to check out castle rock for some of the best cracks in the area. Zero approach, nice stream, Gill and Robbins routes. Athletes feat, engishmans home, country club crack.

For cracks in the park check out "Day's of Heaven."

For boulder's check the frisco boulder, sweet rock, right off the freeway near breck.

scottcody

Jul 15, 2003, 9:04 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the great info... I am getting totaly fired up.

What is this I hear about a "Heat wave", What should the weather be like this weekend?

Afternoon T-storms are assumed.

Thanks a bunch

killclimbz

Jul 15, 2003, 9:08 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah it's been freak'in hot. If you are climbing Clear Creek in the morning you should be alright. Lots of shady crags abound in the canyon. We haven't had much in the way of precip just hot weather. That might change this weekend...

jcinco

Jul 15, 2003, 9:30 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clear Creek is definitely the most convenient and there is plenty of shade to be had. You could hit Wall of the 90s or Anarchy Wall in the morning, then head over to High Wire/Wall of Justice or Little Eiger in the afternoon.

Another option is bouldering at Morrison if you get there early enough in the morning. If its midday or later, then forget about it.

There is some climbing in Empire about 5 miles off I-70. I also hear that there are some sport climbs at Keystone. Check out climbingboulder for beta.

Its been friggin' hot!!

tradkelly

Jul 16, 2003, 3:19 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ATG's rght on. Hit 285 and the north SPlatte.

If you're staying in the Breck area and want to climb some stuff while you're there (temps should be more moderate than the mid 90s we've had the last 3 weeks on the Front Range and SPlatte, even up on Lumpy (90* in Estes at 6pm on Sunday), try some moderate alpine stuff in 10mile and around A-basin. http://www.geocities.com/summitcorock/

bolder

Jul 16, 2003, 3:01 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My $.02. Clear Creek would be the most convenient since it is on the way and is sport climbing. Empire has some sport climbing that I haven't been on yet, but it looks good. It is right off of I-70 and not too far out of the way.
http://www.climbingboulder.com/rock/db/empire/

Driving via 285 to hit the South Platte, like ATG suggested is another good idea. It will be a bit out of your way, but definetly worth it if you like slabby granite.

While you are in Breckenridge check out the bouldering on Swan Mountain Road, in between Breck and Keystone. Montezuma, near Keystone, is a nice alpine sport climbing area worth checking out as well.

Have fun!

scottcody

Jul 16, 2003, 7:19 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Empire sounds good, but I'm not finding a lot of info and I don't feel like starting out my trip trying find crags in an area I know nothing about.
Sooo... I think we are off to Bucksnort, unless someone wants to show us around.

Any other route suggestions for the area surronding Bucksnort slab?

atg200

Jul 16, 2003, 7:26 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Classic Dihedral is the must hit for sure. Check out climbingboulder for the South Platte Pine area.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook