RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

beanny

Jan 21, 2002, 3:08 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2413 views)
Shortcut

is my harness to big for me?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

is my harness the wrong size for me? it is a little loose even when i strap in all the way... after climbing today, I have slight pain where the leg straps contact my thigh n groin area...

daisuke

Jan 21, 2002, 3:16 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2413 views)
Shortcut

is my harness to big for me? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

besides being great at squashing the family jewelry, which is dangerous, there is another more serious danger in a harness that involves falling out of it, if your waist strap does not fit around you tightly you might fall out of your harness in the not so unlikely event that you end up facing head first at the ground. If this is the case either back up your waist harness with a chest harness, trade your harness in for a smaller size or buy an adjustable one and sell the one you have. squashed genitalia one can live with, squashed head... now that's gotta hurt!

D

Partner sauron

Jan 21, 2002, 3:17 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When putting on the harness, give it a good hard tug downward on the equipment loops - if it comes loose to the point where you can take it off, it's too lose, and it can come off if you should take an upside-down fall.

Also, if you'd stop hang-dogging those climbs so much, your legs wouldn't be so sore...

beanny

Jan 21, 2002, 3:23 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

u must have lots of experience doing just that to know that it hurts that way.. well, there are other ways u can get hurt other than hanging around...

mikedano

Jan 21, 2002, 6:17 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know all about this problem.
When I bought my first harness ($30 cheapie), the stupid bitch at REI told me, "oh, that harness fits fine" without hardly even looking at it. Well, I lost a few pounds and guess what: It was too freakin' big! I could tell because at hanging belays the thing would ride up into my ribs, and falls were not fun. I could pull the thing almost 2 inches out from my side when it was as tight as it could get.
So I finally bit the bullet and went out for a new one. It was $70, but it fits like a dream and I don't get the wind knocked out of me when I fall.
If you think it's too big it probably is, and if you keep climbing you're only going to get skinnier.

clmbngfiend

Jan 21, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Mikedano. It sounds like you bought the Alpine Bod. I'm sorry for you. It's about as comfortable as tying a harness with 6 mil cord. Concerning the actual post about fit, I wouldn't buy or use a harness that was loose in the least bit. As long as you can't pull the harness over your hips it's safe but as you so eloquently put it you "have slight pain where the leg straps contact my thigh n groin area" A properly fit harness won't chafe as much.
Peace

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook