RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

moto

Jul 17, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Cheap Accomodation in Railay beach, Thailand
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,
I'm planing a climbing trip to Krabi, Railay area in Thailand in September. And at the moment, trying to find accomodation in walking distance from Railay beach, because I think this is the most popular climbing spot after some research on the net. (if you have any other suggestion, that's great too)

Anyway, if there are people out there who have been to the area, please give us some information about the accomodation, where you stayed, when, the price range, and so on. If you have phone numbers, that'll be great.

And of course any other info about Krabi is more than welcome too.

Cheers

eric

Jul 18, 2003, 2:28 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cheap Accomodation in Railay beach, Thailand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

See http://www.simonfoley.com/climbing/ for good information.

There are many many options within easy walking distance of the climbing because the climbing is everywhere.
No need to try to book in advance (espec. in September) unless you really want to pay more. Most of the places wouldn't accept a reservation anyway.
My particular recommendation is Dream Valley, Andaman, or Tonsai Bungalows, all on Tonsai beach. This is a cooler place to stay for climbers. In the low season expect to pay between $3 and $10 a night on Tonsai.
Cheers...

texasclimber

Jul 18, 2003, 3:07 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey moto, I will be heading down there in September also with my girlfriend. Should be a good time. We are probably staying at Co Co's or Ya Ya Bungalows. They are on Ton Sai beach, cheap, and a climber's choice (so I hear). Check out simon's site, it is the best site about climbing in Thailand. BTW, how long are you staying?

jcinco

Jul 18, 2003, 5:43 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, Co-co's and Ya-ya's are on East Railai, not Ton Sai (they are seperated by a 30 minute walk). Ya-ya's is a great hang-out and is home of the amazing Ya-ya burger. Personally, I prefered to stay at East Railai... it had a little more of a breeze than Ton Sai and it didn't have quite the scene.

If you want to stay in Ton Sai, check out Dream Valley resort... they had the best food at TonSai and they have a website somewhere. Numerous other places to stay as well.

legless

Jul 24, 2003, 2:29 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...co co and ya ya are east railay...

depending on how long a trip you have id recommend staying for a little while on east railay and then switch over to ton sai...its the most practical way to divide and conquer the 40 or so climbing areas...

i really liked view point hotel on east railay (stayed there for two weeks)...its farther from the east railay walls by a few minutes but far and away nicer than ya yas and cocos...at 400 baht a night (12 bucks) u cant lose...

on ton sai we stayed in the ton sai bungalows which were alright as well...though everything on ton sai is a little rougher...

and if you are thinking about reservations...u definitely havent been to thailand before!

desertclimber

Aug 5, 2003, 12:35 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's lots of choices, just show up and wander around... That's how we found our place to stay. Most places on Tonsai will be cheaper, if that is your concern.

legless

Aug 5, 2003, 7:36 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my previous post still stands...just wanted to add that if you decide to divide your bungalow stays (half time tonsai half east railay) where u should go first is a point worth considering.

ton sai has stiffer climbing and rougher accomadations.

east railay has beautiful walls with a wider variety of 5.9-11 routes and the resorts are a few notches better.

thus the dilemma: naturally you should start with the easier walls of east railay---get acclimated and then move to ton sai half way through once your confidence has been bolstered by some 6b ticks (after you climb muay thai on the muay thai wall youll start feeling ready for action). but, when you move to ton sai you may be slightly let down by the drop in quality of restaurants, internet service and accomodations.

for if you place a high value on those factors, u may be better off starting in ton sai and then upgrading (accomodations-wise) to east railay half way through.

i know my girlfriend was a little disappointed when we moved from east r. to ton sai (even though the climbing was awesome).

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook