Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Slacklining:
Using slacklining webbing for climbing...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

trialsnclimbing

Jul 24, 2003, 8:50 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Using slacklining webbing for climbing...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Would it be a bad idea to use the same webbing and biners that you have used for slacklining also for climbing... or would there have been too much stress on the system?

beyond_gravity

Aug 2, 2003, 2:39 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Re: Using slacklining webbing for climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

probably not. I'm a cheapass and use the biners. However, these are just my quickdraw biners, where if one were to break 99.9% of the time it would not be deadly. I'd never put a belay biner into a slackline set up.

Webbing is cheap. Buy a new sling and mark the one(s) you have allready used and use them for nothing but slacklining and tieing up your dog.

If you are talking about using your actual slackline, no. You will probably be fine if you do use it, but spend another $12 and be positive.

far_east_climber

Sep 30, 2003, 11:09 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no i wouldn't, i heard from someone to have a set of slacklining biners and make sure you never use them for anything else because they put on 'existential' force on 'em (or something... ?) that's what i was told... so basically it's weaker and weaker means more likely to break and more likely to break means more likely to die and more likely to die means you wont live as long

therealbovine

Sep 30, 2003, 7:26 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So many what if in climbing. ..

In my fifteen + years of climbing, I've heard so many different opinions on the subject of gear usage such as your question. The reality seems to be a choice for you. You are the only one who knows how your gear has been used, what forces might have been exerted on it, and its age. As long as you feel comfortable and have not exceeded the manufacturers recomendation for retiring your gear, then use your best judgement.

Slacklining put a un-godly amount of force on webbing and carabiners. At the anchor points of a slackline, most people end up tri-loading the carabiner, thus possibly weakening it over time, maybe? Extending the anchor slings to less than a 45 degree angle helps this issue. Does it weaken the biners? I'd email black Diamond, Petzl and a few other companies and see what they have to say.

As far as the webbing goes, Continued tying of knots, exposure to UV light and most of all YOU ARE WALKING ON THE WEBBING. When you walk the line you are constantly pushing abrasive materials into the webbing, like dirt, sand, toe cheese etc. Then these cause the fibers of the webbing to abrade, break and weaken with extended use. This is why you don't step on your climbing rope. With this in mind...maybe spend a few bucks and keep your webbing(s) seperated for the two different activities.

Just like climbing..slacklining is dangerous. Take only the risks you are willing to take.

Have fun and best of luck!

Sean

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook