Forums: Climbing Information: Trip Reports:
Leadville, Colorado blowout trip report...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kcrag

Jul 28, 2003, 12:42 AM
Post #1 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Leadville, Colorado blowout trip report...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A great turnout with a fantastic group of people.

Attendees included: mtngeo, skibabeage, neph, shorty, sharpie, tracyroach, wigglestick, uncle_big_green, sharpie, jasona, cologman, rockclimbergirl, just_me, mikedano, cathydano (or kathy?), bobd1983 (hehe) and friends, freeballn, kcrag, felis, rick, scott, flamer, sean h., tradkelly, miller, jenny, flake, torry (the resident sheep), gert and al... the designated ADULT SUPERVISOR.

My apologies to anyone I've forgotten. Please add (or correct spelling)... I'm still recovering from the physical and mental exhaustion.

Not a single dud in the entire party, which leads me to believe that Colorado climbers are a good group of peeps to hang out with. Cheers to Martha and Geo for the great meals, Bob for the stellar slide show, EVERYONE for the bawdy humor and barley pop, and geo & his family for the generous hospitality.

QUOTES OF THE GATHERING (please contribute... )

"5.10, no problem... ", bobd's indonesian pal.
"I just need 2 more inches... ", tradkelly, while leading 'grave line', .10a, monitor rock.
"No, really, this is dog food, right?... ", everyone's response to tasting flamer's soy jerky.
"I did two FA's today, what did y'all do?... ", just_me upon return from climbing with bobd at Independence pass.
"Hey, I just peed on shorty's front tire... ", mtngeo upon return from a 2 minute absence.
"Um, do you have a projector?... ", bobd's question to kcrag before the slide show (I'm hearing impaired and misunderstood him... believe me, you don't want to know my response!).
"Is that a mullet?... (re: a pic of bobd climbing)", a serious question from an audience member (who?) during the slide show.

flamer

Jul 28, 2003, 1:42 AM
Post #2 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Re: Leadville, Colorado blowout trip report... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW, Kelly you sure fired off this thread fast!
Well I have to jump in a take credit for the " Is that a mullet" question.
I really thought it was!
I had a really good time! I'm already thinking forward to the next get together!
Thanks to George for being such a great host.
A special thanks to Jeff(cologman) and Hallie for keeping Matt(wigglestick) and myself from getting our gooses cooked!
josh

kcrag

Jul 28, 2003, 1:53 AM
Post #3 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer,

I don't think AL has internet access, so somebody has to report asap...

a few more quotes from me--

"ouch... ", an innocent victim being hit with a pillow by tracyroach at 1:30am on friday night (tracy's slumber party version of 'whack-a-mole', induced by unsolicited comments about her pooch).

"die, bald man... " (I think that was you, flamer!), comment to mtngeo when he was grinding coffee at 6am (while 15 peeps were sleeping on the living/kitchen room floor).

"hey flamer, you're a firefighter, man, can't you put out that flame?... ", comment from an onlooker while flamer is buring the garlic bread (with the fire alarm screaming pre-dinner saturday night).

"someone grab the fan... ", mtngeo's comment to the person nearest to the cookie sheet during the fire.

tradkelly

Jul 28, 2003, 2:08 AM
Post #4 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Special thanks from me to Jeff, Geo, and Kelly - thank you for catching all the falls and not just summarily lowering me off Slip Not. I really appreciate all of your pushing me to do it and letting me stay up there on-route for an hour and a half. Jeff, thank you for your pushing me to get on it and stay on it!!! Kelly, thank you for taking all of those pictures - I'll try to get a few set up here shortly, inc. some of you that I got from the Baby Doe rap. Geo, thank you from all of us for the hospitality and good times.

It was great to seem some old and new faces out there. Anyone's ever in CoSpgs, just give me a buzz and you've got a place to stay, anytime, and a partner (belay slave, anyway). Thank you to everyone that showed up to play! Cheers!

kcrag

Jul 28, 2003, 2:13 AM
Post #5 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradkelly--

you kick-as$ for working that route (for all you east coast climbers, that's pronounced ROUTE... not ROOT!).

flamer

Jul 28, 2003, 2:15 AM
Post #6 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"hey flamer, you're a firefighter, man, can't you put out that flame?... ", comment from an onlooker while flamer is buring the garlic bread (with the fire alarm screaming pre-dinner saturday night).
Hey just because I fight'm it doesn't mean I don't like to light'm!!
Damn touchy ovens....grumble grumble....

My favorite exchange....me to somebody-" that's it we're gonna wrestle"(I think it was Tracy)- Wigglestick says-" Dude! take off your pants! Nobody wants to fight naked guy!"
HMM...maybe you had to be there?
josh

kcrag

Jul 28, 2003, 2:18 AM
Post #7 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's say it all together phonetically...

ra-ahhh-aaa-hhhh-aooouuugggg-hhtttttt.

thank you, thank you very much!

kcrag

Jul 28, 2003, 2:20 AM
Post #8 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hummmm... sorry to have missed the naked wresting, flamer. Next time...

(I'll put my dollar down on tracyroach, though! She's one tough cookie).

deleted
Deleted

Jul 28, 2003, 3:29 AM
Post #9 of 45 (5671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kcrag -- the "die, bald man" comment came from one of the many bodies strewn about my dining- and living room floor as i was grinding coffee at [b:354fcaabcc]5 am[/b:354fcaabcc] on saturday. jeesus ... there were so many people laid out on my floor it looked like jonestown all over again!

the awards are as follows:

[b:354fcaabcc]the hat-trick puking award[/b:354fcaabcc] -- for thrice chucking on my neighbor's lawn in the wee hours of the night; [b:354fcaabcc]tracyroach[/b:354fcaabcc].

[b:354fcaabcc]the burning loaf award[/b:354fcaabcc] -- for torching the garlic bread saturday evening despite being a denver firefighter; [b:354fcaabcc]flamer[/b:354fcaabcc] (note to self: never play poker with a guy named "doc"; never date a woman named "madam"; and never hire a cook named flamer).

[b:354fcaabcc]the "i say, carson, i've just shat myself" award[/b:354fcaabcc] -- for making two double-rope rappels during an electrical storm; [b:354fcaabcc]freeball'n and sharpie[/b:354fcaabcc]. honorable mention goes to [b:354fcaabcc]cologman[/b:354fcaabcc] and his daughter, [b:354fcaabcc]hallie[/b:354fcaabcc] ... along with [b:354fcaabcc]wigglestick[/b:354fcaabcc] and [b:354fcaabcc]flamer[/b:354fcaabcc], who -- in a moment of supremely good judgement -- made two tandem rappels off the top of "trooper traverse" during the same electrical storm, thereby cutting their retreat time in half.

[b:354fcaabcc]the ugly dog award[/b:354fcaabcc] -- for looking like a gene-splicing experiment gone horribly wrong; [b:354fcaabcc]torrey[/b:354fcaabcc] (tracyroach's, um ... "dog" thing)

[b:354fcaabcc]the mama mia, at'sa good meal award[/b:354fcaabcc] -- for killer chili, fish tacos, etc. on friday night; [b:354fcaabcc]skibabeage[/b:354fcaabcc]. (note: this award supercedes and voids all previous "bail queen" awards)

[b:354fcaabcc]the order pizza and line up some belayers award[/b:354fcaabcc] -- for hanging in there for an hour and a half and finally reaching the chains on "slip not" (5.10d);[b:354fcaabcc] tradkelly[/b:354fcaabcc].

[b:354fcaabcc]the zen belay-master award[/b:354fcaabcc] -- for casually floating "slip not", then belaying my fat ass while i take multiple whippers off the first bolt for half an hour; [b:354fcaabcc]cologman[/b:354fcaabcc].

[b:354fcaabcc]the dances with rock award[/b:354fcaabcc] -- for pulling hard without breaking a sweat and making hard lines look like a vertical ballet; ladies and gentlemen, my kick@ss partner ... the prototypical dirtbarbie ... [b:354fcaabcc]kcrag[/b:354fcaabcc].

[b:354fcaabcc]the golden oven mitt award [/b:354fcaabcc]-- for supplying us with some very tasty (and made from scratch to boot!) pies; [b:354fcaabcc]cathy dano[/b:354fcaabcc]

more to come as memory serves ...

cologman

Jul 28, 2003, 3:51 AM
Post #10 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me the most memorable quote was when in the midst of a wailing smoke alarm Geo grabbed the fan/cookie sheet and proceeded to fan the offending appliance. Upon truning around and seeing Martha in easy striking distance whacked her on the butt with the "fan". She shrieked ouch and he exclaimed "but it was so big". You figure it out..!!!??? further comments only served to deepen his predicament. I had a great weekend with all and made many new friends.

Flamer we'll hit the black in about 3-4 wks.
Kelly (KCrag) lets do some aid climbing and see what we can organize after that.
Kelly (tradkelly) if you want to meet half way sometime 11 mile or even turkey rock let me know. I have never climbed on Cynical Pinnacle would like to.
Geo, lets get out and do some peak stuff and maybe you can talk me into sharpening the front points again. And I particularly want to thank you for your hospitality.
Martha, good luck in the new position at winter park.
Bob D if you you still want to go do the Flakes I'd love to.

:lol:

taorock

Jul 28, 2003, 3:58 AM
Post #11 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a former Leadvillian, I think you all deserve awards for creating so much positive energy and vibes plus thanks for providing much entertainment to the reading masses.

You all make the world a better place and me a little homesick for the high country!

Brent

deleted
Deleted

Jul 28, 2003, 4:07 AM
Post #12 of 45 (5671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks, brent! the highcountry -- and especially leadville -- gets in your blood, doesn't it? come visit sometime.

sharpie

Jul 28, 2003, 1:33 PM
Post #13 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mtngeo for Mayor!

Quote:
"How'd that sheep get in here?" -everybody but tracyroach

wigglestick

Jul 28, 2003, 2:04 PM
Post #14 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
along with wigglestick and flamer, who -- in a moment of supremely good judgement -- made two tandem rappels off the top of "trooper traverse" during the same electrical storm, thereby cutting their retreat time in half.

Funny you should use the term "good judgement" because just an hour earlier flamer and I had a discussion that went something like this:
"It says we need 2 ropes to rap off"
"We only have one"
"I know"
"Do you care?"
"No"
"We'll figure something out and if worst comes to worst we can just yell until mtngeo comes and saves us."
"Sounds good, put me on belay"

Thankfully Cologman and Hallie were better prepared and were nice enough to wait for us at the top while Flamer did some mad prussiking as lightening was crashing all around us, so we could borrow their rope.

I had a great time this weekend. Thanks to Geo for being a gracious host and cook and for Martha for cooking that awesome chili. It was great to meet some new people and I hope to share a rope with any/all of you soon.

mother_sheep

Jul 28, 2003, 2:40 PM
Post #15 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Geo. . you are one hella good host! What a fun gathering! I've only been to 2 thus far but if the others are anything like this one. . . look out rc.commers. . .trachroach is bringing her sheep.

I enjoyed climbing w/you guys, beating you guys up at midnight, drinking 5 too many of Kelly's FANTASTIC margs and just being in the company of some really great people.

If anyone got a pillow upside the head who didn't deserve it, sorry. :-( Maybe Oleg was the only one. The rest of you boys had it coming (esp you shorty).

Gotta get back out to the Pass to do some more climbing. That rock out there was stellar!!

Martha. . .you're a great cook!

jasona

Jul 28, 2003, 2:55 PM
Post #16 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I gotta say Geo was definitely one hell of a host. Can't recall the last time I had so much fun and didn't wake up behind bars. Now if only Aurora would sprout some mountains I would host my own get together, complete with sheep and all.

uncle_big_green

Jul 28, 2003, 3:01 PM
Post #17 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:?:

deleted
Deleted

Jul 28, 2003, 3:03 PM
Post #18 of 45 (5671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's okay, ben, it's not even a [b:23043ac301]good looking[/b:23043ac301] sheep!

mother_sheep

Jul 28, 2003, 3:12 PM
Post #19 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Poor Torrey. You know you guys loved her. So much in fact that she was missing somewhere in the boys room for a good portion of the night.

uncle_big_green

Jul 28, 2003, 3:20 PM
Post #20 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:?:

sharpie

Jul 28, 2003, 3:25 PM
Post #21 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, no more sheep jokes...on to Wolfgang Gulich...

mother_sheep

Jul 28, 2003, 3:28 PM
Post #22 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, no more sheep jokes...on to Wolfgang Gulich...

:lol: :lol: :lol: Haaaa Haaaaaa!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sharpie

Jul 28, 2003, 3:47 PM
Post #23 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...that chick's got a sweet ass....

bobd1953

Jul 28, 2003, 3:51 PM
Post #24 of 45 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Geo, thanks for a being a great host. This was a great happening with good folks, wonderful food (thanks Martha and Geo) and excellent rock.

deleted
Deleted

Jul 28, 2003, 4:32 PM
Post #25 of 45 (5671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:29be09e765="sharpie"]Yeah, no more sheep jokes...on to Wolfgang Gulich...[/quote:29be09e765]

sharpie, DUDE --- you SUCK! :lol:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook