Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Any more bouldering other the main rock?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rwaltermyer

Jan 25, 2002, 11:51 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Any more bouldering other the main rock?  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Boxcar_Rocks__aka_Chinese_Wall_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering if anyone has ever bouldered at any other rock around Boxcar other than the main area...

I haven't wandered too far from the normal climbs mostly because of the priars and poison.

rwaltermyer

Mar 26, 2002, 12:59 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Any more bouldering other the main rock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To answer my own question for anyone interested, if you follow the road, that takes you up to the path, past the rock. That outcropping of stony conglomerate continues for almost 3 miles along a the same ridge line.

Beware that if you follow that ridge you'll also run into some treacherous and steep strip mines.

chalker7

Feb 8, 2004, 8:59 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2274 views)
Shortcut

bouldering at boxcar [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rwaltermyer-

i have climbed at boxcar, it is very near ny home. about 30 minutes. it was actually the first place my hands ever touched real rock. near the knife there is a boulder that follosw the drop off of groud to its left ( bad description) with a small over hang. i haven't worked any extensive problems on it but i am going to this year. (my level of skill finally allows it) i intend to produce a right to left traverse allong the overhang. (looking at the boulder from the low side. i have been looking for people who climb there or who would want to. please pm me and maybe u can meet up with myself and some of my friends when the weather breaks. i am also interested in this area you talked about following the road to get to it. i think i may have seen it, there are soem big boulders there to that can be worked. have a good one.

-challenger

roclimb

Feb 9, 2004, 7:06 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Re: bouldering at boxcar [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Randy,

How are you doing?

If you follow the main cliff where it peters out there are two nice semi high boulders that have some easy, problems that are nice. After that there is a wall hidden off to the right that has about a dozen real nice problems up to V5. Then there are good problems about 15 min from there on very interesting rock that veries in texture and hight. There are easily over a hundred problems from there to the Dam overlook where the boulders peter out again.

Going the opposite way from Moby Neil, (twards Gold Mine Rd) there are a good bit of problems also that are worth climbing.

The high stuff on the backside of the main cliff formations is real nice also, The Trench has nice problems in it as well.

Have Fun
:D ~Rob

rwaltermyer

Feb 9, 2004, 7:22 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rob...i'm doning well.

since this post...ages ago... I've explored boxcar much more.

And like you said...there are tons upon tons of lines on either side of the main area. I particularly like the bouldering that is btwn the main area and the road: nice-sized hillballs avging ~ 20 ft.

However, the problem is usually that the lines tend to be repeative: cobble after cooble. So finding an unusual problem is the challenge-- a rare challenge!

And so much more, like you said, towards the Dam... (which was named after a relative of mine)

roclimb

Feb 10, 2004, 9:12 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should have read the date of the origional post. I didn't realize it was from so long ago.

That is cool they named the dam after a relitive of yours. Did he build it or something like that?
~Rob

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook