RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

hammer_

Jul 7, 2003, 8:21 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

drytooling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What do you think of people drytooling on sport routes (only tools, no crampons). I've seen some top notch published mixed climbers at popular crags around Canmore doing it lately.

tenn_dawg

Jul 9, 2003, 12:23 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Re: drytooling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I kind of wish they wouldn't. I have a feeling that if this gets popular the tools will have a good chance of breaking off small holds, or crumbling them. If they want to Dry Tool Obscure sport routes for training, fine, but I think ice tools would cause damage to any line they are on, and I would prefer they not put them on classic routes.

Travis

bsperes

Jul 9, 2003, 2:08 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

same, tools have a good chance of blowing small stuff

cass

Jul 9, 2003, 2:13 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't be such a tool

overlord

Jul 29, 2003, 2:48 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if i ever see one i will put hes crampons up hes a$$!!!!

why cat these morons just climb the rock how its supposed to be climbed and wait for the ice to form. or at least they can find an undeveloped crag with NO existing sport/trad routes. they have done the latter in SLO and everybody gets along just fine now. they stick to their crags and dond destroy ours.

and dont think that drytooling on established routes damages them. oh, no, it destroys them.

jpb

Jul 29, 2003, 7:01 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the few ethical point I believe :
No drytooling on sports route ......

Kick them out of the cliff !
All they have to do is add a few more bolts to their drytooling routes and do them in summer .

Come on ... tools damage holds ... you have to be blind not to realize it !

vertical_reality

Jul 29, 2003, 7:39 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What do you think of people drytooling on sport routes (only tools, no crampons). I've seen some top notch published mixed climbers at popular crags around Canmore doing it lately.

If they were really top notch mixed climbers they'd know better.

dsafanda

Jul 29, 2003, 8:07 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I know of Canmore, there are more world class ice and mixed climbers that live there than world class sport climbers. That doesn't necessarily make it right but for better or worse they've made the area their playground. I think it comes down to a case of what's accepted according to local consensus. If mixed climbing is more important to the majority of climbers in Canmore than pure sport climbing, so be it. If there really was any local consensus that dry tooling was frowned upon I don't imagine you would see people doing it. Surely, the community of climbers there has decided that this is acceptable.

I'm not worried about seeing anyone drytooling in Yosemite or Joshua Tree any time soon. Perhaps I'd have a different opinion if I lived in Canmore and dealt with it more often.

dead_milkman

Jul 29, 2003, 9:09 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Which crags? Which routes? Perhaps this is a discussion that should be taken up at www.live-the-vision.com? We could always use another controversy, what with the Mt. Louis bolt flame war dying down and all...

DM

stevematthys

Jul 31, 2003, 1:54 AM
Post #10 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trad climbers dont like sport climbers who bolt cracks.

sport climbers dont like drytoolers who break their holds.

who do the drytoolers have to pick on?????

pbjosh

Jul 31, 2003, 2:00 AM
Post #11 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HEY STEVE WHAT'S THAT URL AGAIN? WE'RE ALL TARDS HERE AND CAN'T READ NORMAL SIZE TEXT?

stevematthys

Jul 31, 2003, 2:01 AM
Post #12 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nope, its shameless self promotion!!!!!!! :wink: :D

dead_milkman

Aug 1, 2003, 7:14 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come on... name some names. Which crags and which routes (I don't give a sh1t who, just where)? I need to know if I should be upset over drytooling on actual sport routes, or whether you've seen people drytool mixed routes... Please ;)

Oh, by the way, sorry for not calling re. climbing this (last?) weekend... I'm actually at an Ulti tournament until Monday...

Cheers,

DM

rockprodigy

Aug 5, 2003, 12:05 AM
Post #14 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was climbing at Grassi Lakes last Thursday and noticed scratch marks all over the place. I don't know if the routes were done as sport routes first or not, but I think that makes a big difference...just like if it were done as a trad route first. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if people in Canmore have decided that mixed climbing takes precedence...but if it were my sport routes, I would be pissed!

dead_milkman

Aug 5, 2003, 2:57 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a number of mixed routes in Grassi that would, IMO, be unsuitable for sport climbs anyhow. These all are in the general area near the swamp buttress, where ice climbs typically form in the winter. Check the mixed guidebook for confirmation of route identitiy if you like...

hammer_

Aug 5, 2003, 5:18 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Which crags? Which routes? Perhaps this is a discussion that should be taken up at www.live-the-vision.com? We could always use another controversy, what with the Mt. Louis bolt flame war dying down and all...

DM

Good old harlen eh!!
There's nothing like a good flame war :twisted: but I don't want to be the one to start it, therefore I will not name routes or people. I just wanted to get some feedback on this issue in gereral. Personally I hope that no one will see these unnamed persons and give it a try. There is a big difference between the climbers I've seen and some dude blindly scrapping at the rock trying it out for the first time.

dead_milkman

Aug 6, 2003, 2:47 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason I asked was mostly for clarity, really, as a number of popular crags - Grassi, Grotto, and so on - contain both sport and mixed routes. I've seen some people drytool some of the mixed routes at Grassi, for example, and seen people upset at this - for no good reason. I was just trying to determine if the routes in question were, in fact "sport" routes. Anyway, I've no interest in becomming the next Harlan! My personal opinion - and I'm not much of a sport climber, I'll admit - is that tools should be reserved for those times when climbing with one's fingers is not appropriate (i.e. winter mixed and ice climbing). Tools certainly damage rock. On choss like you might find at the back of Grotto this is not such a big deal, IMO... on some "classic" sport route with good rock... well, that's another issue ;)

Cheers, eh.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook