RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

givemeshorebreak

Jul 28, 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Longer lines
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So this weekend I was able to successfully walk a 30' line 3 times. I was wondering how much the line characteristics change on a longer line, say 75 feet? If I can get it tight enough, will the sway in the middle be a very dramatic change? I know that there is a very big difference in a 17 foot and a 30 foot line, is the differnce just as big the farther you go?
I'm wondering because being able to walk the 30 footer this weekend boosted my confidence that I could probably do a lot longer line without too much hassle. Any input from the veterans that have been on long lines here would be greatly appreciated.
Peace

minnesotatrad

Aug 3, 2003, 7:44 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Re: Longer lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I just set my line up today. Its 9 ft off the ground and 80 ft long. I got it pretty tight and it only sagged about 3 ft at the lowest point. I didn't think that was to bad. It swayed alot more once you were in the middle though.

Keith

pbjosh

Aug 5, 2003, 5:28 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

90' w/ 3' of sag is very tight. nut-snapping tightness if you're 9' up and come off ungracefully!

The short answer regarding how much harder it gets, though, is a lot. I would suggest working on walking a 30-footish line first, then like 40-50, then like 60, then like 75. Also for the various lengths try varying degrees of taughtness.

I recently set up a line about 50 feet, about 8' off the ground, and we sagged to within 4" of the ground in the middle. Very different, gives it a definite up and down hill, makes turning quite a bit harder because you're either in the middle where it's hella-loose or you're on an uphill when you're turning...

sheldonjr

Aug 22, 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm kind of in the same situation. I just walked a thirty five footer a few times, and bumped up to ninety feet. I can get about thirty five feet across the longer line, so... I dunno. The sway is a lot worse, but if you use your arms instead of your legs for balance, it's definately doable. I think it's just being able to concentrate for the whole ninety feet. Or maybe it's a mental block.

By the way, three feet of sag in the middle is SUPER TIGHT! Mine sags probably six or seven. (If I actually got to the middle, of course.) I set mine in a park that kinda bowls, so I don't have to put it up really high.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook