Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sam's Throne in August
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

burz

May 22, 2003, 1:39 PM
Post #1 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Sam's Throne in August  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Boston_Mountain_Range: Sams_Throne)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was thinking of heading up to the Sam's Throne Area from Houston in July. What is the weather like that time of year? I know the days will be hot but does it cool off at night? I'm not sure what the elevation is up there, is it in the mountains? Also, has any one driven there from Houston? Taking Interstates looks like it would be kind out of the way, but taking the smaller roads its only about 550 miles. Also, where's the best place to camp. Thanks for the help.

dave1970

May 22, 2003, 2:26 PM
Post #2 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sam's Throne in July [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say hot and very humid. However, since you are from houston it will seem arid by comparison. If you go in early july, it won't be so bad. It is over 2000 feet elevation and is measurably much cooler than one might think.

I would take 59 north from houston until you reach I-30. Then head east until you come to state hwy 7. Go north on hwy 7. As for camping, the throne is very nice, but totally primitive. It seems most people like to camp at horseshoe canyon ranch ( well developed and highly concentrated sport climbing) www.climbhcr.com

Also, it is pointless to attempt to go there without a guidebook or a person who is familiar.

If I can be of further assistance, shoot me a pm.

burz

May 22, 2003, 2:32 PM
Post #3 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I have the Guide by Clay Frisbie. I assume it should do the trick.

ckemler

May 22, 2003, 2:34 PM
Post #4 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It'll be hot in the day, and not as hot at night. I don't know the elevation, but it's not a concern. Camp at the throne. Beware of rednecks. Don't leave your stuff out in the open unattended. Plenty of beautiful stuff to climb. You'll spend more time looking for bolts to clip than trad leads, so bring your gear. Some bolt routes take gear too. TR's are easy to come by. Make sure and hit Windy Armbuster. Not too sure about driving from Houstin. You're in for a haul. Just keep that in mind when you head out. Don't get it in your mind that you can average 70 mph. The roads in AR are curvy, hilly and full of people that shouldn't be on the road. There are a lot of fun routes. It should be worth it.

ck

jer

May 22, 2003, 3:09 PM
Post #5 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

btw- no camping at HCR in the summer months, but you can camp at steel creek, etc.

Also- when climbing in arkansas in the hot/humid months, I like to wear the 'oh-so-stylish' sweatbands on my wrists/forearms like a b-ball player.
They are great for helping keep your hands dry and when you're sliming out of that heinous offwidth, you can wipe your brow, face and eyelids dry of the constant outflow of sweat. Another smart move is to bring a head net to keep off the no-see-ums, skeeters and such for your belayer.

And finally, If you're camping solely at Sams, it is a VERY DRY area, with no real opportunity for water, so bring plenty unless you want to drive in to the gas station at 65 and 123.

Have fun,
Jer

boogirl

May 22, 2003, 3:28 PM
Post #6 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jon

In case you're not familiar with rural areas, they're beautiful but the side walks get rolled up around dusk and the streets are pretty deserted on Sunday. So, inaddition to food and water, make sure your gas tank is full. It's pretty intense wondering if you'll be able to coast into Jasper from the Throne on fumes! Have fun and climb safe.

Lora

burz

May 23, 2003, 12:45 PM
Post #7 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll make sure to fill my tank. Thanks.

madflash

Jun 17, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #8 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definitely consider going to Horseshoe Canyon Ranch instead of the Throne. The Throne is a magnificent place to climb, especially for the adventurous trad climber. There isn't quite as much good sport climbing at the Throne as there is at Horseshoe, except for Cave Creek. The real advantage to climbing at Horseshoe is that it is close to Jasper...gas, food...and horseshoe has more amenities like a swimming pool and disc golf. Horseshoe also doesn't have all of the bugs that sam's has. I was up at Sam's for one day last weekend and at Horseshoe the other day. Let me say that the mosquitoes eventually drove us away from Sam's. It was a torturous experience. However, at horseshoe I didn't get one bug bite. Pick your own poison

burz

Jun 17, 2003, 7:41 PM
Post #9 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was planning on checking out both, but thanks for the heads up. I enjoy trad more but clipping bolts has its upside! Do you know if climbers can still use the pool, etc. even though you are not allowed to camp at the Ranch during their tourist season? Where do you recommend camping while climbing at HCR at this time?

EDIT - Never mind, I found another post with HCR info in it.

burz

Jul 10, 2003, 5:26 PM
Post #10 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the responses. The trip is set for August 1-4!!

timstich

Jul 10, 2003, 5:51 PM
Post #11 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for all the responses. The trip is set for August 1-4!!

Have fun, dude. One of our Austin crew just went there and had a great time. I'll have to check it out soon.

-Tim

burz

Aug 5, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #12 of 12 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sam's Throne in August [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got back from a kick as trip! We camped at Sam's Throne Thursday through Sunday. We climbed at Sam's Throne on Friday, Cave Creek on Saturday, and Horseshoe Canyon Ranch on Sunday. All three places are awesome. At Sam's we did Doing the Ritz (5.7), Albino Rino (5.7+), Fat Crack (5.6), Fun Way (5.6), and Poison Ivy (5.7+). At Cave Creek we did Middle-Age Crisis (5.10a), Void of Judgement (5.9), Tying the Knot (5.6), Processed Meat (5.10c), and Chos Man (5.10a). Then at HCR we did The Controversy (5.8), Girth Hitch (5.7), Websters (5.6), Leonid (5.9-), Crimp Scampi (5.10+), Dancing Bears (5.7), Strongman (5.9+), and African Herbman (5.9).

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook