RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

jeffers_mz

Aug 6, 2003, 5:51 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1095 views)
Shortcut

Cow Creek, very short
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

West of Wetterhorn the maps show a very deep valley near the intersections of Cow Creek, Wildhorse Creek, Difficulty Creek and Wetterhorn Creek. At least 8 of the various faces are over a thousand feet tall, with the tallest, the NE face of Dexter Ridge being around 4500. It's probably the deepest hole in the continental US, including Yosemite.

With the possible exception of the north face of Blackwall, they are all rotten rock. Bighorn Ridge, 2600', rotten. South face of point 12,148, 2600, crumbling dried toothpaste. West Ridge of Wetterhorn, 1600', an interesting stack of loose boulders and sand. NE face of Dexter Ridge, rotten.

The rock's so crumbly in there that I bailed after hiking out to the end of the first ridge, not even bothering to look from the other four I had planned. I didn't have an angle on the north face of Blackwall, but the west and NW faces had talus slopes taller than the vertical rock that spawned them, and "Terry" the SAR guy said the NW face rained rocks all over him and Jeff Lowe back in the 60's.

If anybody here knows Jeff I'd like to hear from him what all he found down in there, and where he went as "Terry" was kinda lit when I talked with him, but barring miracles, I'm done with the place.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook