RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

madriver

Jan 28, 2002, 12:47 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2718 views)
Shortcut

General Help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for books, video's, anything really, to help my son and daughter with both bouldering and climbing? They are (9 and 10) and practice at least (2) if not (3) times a week. They love to compete and enjoy climbing. I'm a beginner and they are both much better than I, so I'm not much help.

Looking fo some education,
Helpful Dad

Partner pianomahnn

Jan 28, 2002, 12:55 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2718 views)
Shortcut

General Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some books that can help.

Better Bouldering, but you would have to read it and bring things down to their level. Most Climbing gyms will carry this book.

If there are gyms in your area, they may have a youth team, and it could be a good idea to get them involved with that. I just quit (due to relocation) coaching the youth climbing team for a gym, and the kids loved it, and learned a whole lot.

I'm sorry I can't think of the names off hand, but I know books exist on better footwork, and conserving energy, body movement, etc. Falcon Press does a lot of these books.

eshi-1
Deleted

Jan 29, 2002, 8:17 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there,
Getting the kids on a team will be the best for them. I used to coach 5 groups for 2 years in Israel. Ages 4-18 and they all LOVED it so much and the parents thought that's the best thing for their child etc.

You can get them on Private Instruction too if you want them to get more attention.
Check: www.shalomadventurecenter.org/id39.htm

I'm not sure that books will be the greatest for kids since most books (without underestimating and autors) have a relatively low precentage of real usefull info between all of the text pages.

Instructional videos will probably be better, so they can hear and see the demonstrations.

MOST IMPORTANT - Make sure they enjoy and have fun. Don't let them feel pushed to be the best at any moment. That's what make many kids quit (not only in climbing).

Partner phylp

Jan 31, 2002, 12:59 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chessler Books has one of the very best collections of climbing, hiking, mountaineering books, videos, maps etc. I think at least part of their catalogue is online, but they will also send you a catalogue. The staff is very knowledable and friendly and will probably be able to guide you to with some specific recommendations. One of the better technique related videos is "Moving over Stone" - it's a pretty old one, don't know if it's still available.

beta

Jan 31, 2002, 1:11 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The "Basic Rock Climbing" video with John Long is a good if somewhat "cheesy " introduction to technical rock climbing.

Good information, with safety as a primary feature. I think the young 'uns could relate.

beta

jt512

Jan 31, 2002, 1:44 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Books, footwork? These kids are 9 and 10. They don't need books, and they probably already have better footwork than any of us.

These kids just need to climb. See if you can find mentors for them at your local gym. If they like to compete, get them into kids' comps.

As to videos, for heaven's sake, Moving Over Stone? Yeah, it's still available (so are Boreal Fire's), and it'll put them to sleep. This is the 21st century, remember? Get them one of the recent bouldering videos, like Rampage or West Coast Pimp.

-Jay

beyond_gravity

Jan 31, 2002, 2:33 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My only advice to you, is dont let your kids get cocky and stupid. Teach them some ethics, and teach them how to be a good winner. as a young climber myself, i'd like young climbers (like myself) not to be knowen as selfish, cocky idiot.

uhighfreak

Jan 31, 2002, 10:22 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kids are instictively better climbers than many of us. I would recommend taking them to a gym and keep them involved with classes and climbing. I know the Falcon Guides have come out with a series of books, including "Better Rock Climbing" and "Better Bouldering", that you might check out. Also, http://www.amazon.com and http://www.mgear.com will have some great books to look at. But I, personally, think that experience is the best tool for teaching. So, keep them climbing and get out with them.

miagi

Feb 3, 2002, 4:46 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If its your kids, dont just go by books. Make sure you have an instructor so no one gets hurt. If you want to be prepared and know a little about climbing and bouldering for your first outting buy Rock Climbing by Trailside. The best overall book ive seen yet. Its about 20$, in color, and amazing instructions. It covers gear to big wall climbing. Its the best

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook