RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

phishphan

Jul 18, 2001, 5:57 AM
Post #1 of 8 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Starting Out
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have always wanted to go ice climbing. Unfortunatly I live in the south. I don't personally know anyone who has been. So yall are my only link (besides books and research). I am not ready right now to do it. But are there any preparations I should know about? My ice climbing IQ is pretty low. So any info would be great.
Thanks A Bunch,
Lauren

kriso9tails

Jul 18, 2001, 6:09 AM
Post #2 of 8 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Starting Out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just went for the first time this winter and had alot of fun. Gear is expensive so maybe if you can find somebody to try it with it would be alot easier. I don't really know that much aout it either.

Oh yeah, live in the south. Take a trip up north and find somebody on this sight who's willing to take you (that would probably be really easy). Hey, If you're ever planning to to come up to southern Ontario in the winter I'll see what I can do.

(Sorry if that wasn't much help.)

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2001-07-17 23:14 ]

kagunkie

Jul 18, 2001, 6:10 AM
Post #3 of 8 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What you should do is come up north during the summer and get to know the climbers there, and when the snow falls youll be in the right place for ice. New Hampshire is the place!!! Go to north Conway and youll see enough climbing to keep you buisey for a loooooonnnggg time.

kagunkie

Aug 22, 2001, 3:20 AM
Post #4 of 8 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kylewa..... That is excellent advise!
Im not usually for the guide thing but you make some excellent points. Climbing with a guide can provide some valuble experience, especially where ice is concerned.

talons05

Aug 31, 2001, 8:48 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So what makes Ice so challenging? Is it hard to hold on? I have always wondered about this, but I've never tried it. Do you just hammer your axes and crampons into the ice and go? I know there's more to it than that...

graniteboy

Dec 3, 2001, 2:55 AM
Post #6 of 8 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phish: the prep work consists of getting used to the cold and getting good at not fumbling gear while bundled up in lotsa clothes. Get a job working in an icehouse in Tulsa for starters, then work up to the DRY ice house over time.. And getting your but moved to the northlands.

fireclimber

Dec 3, 2001, 3:47 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be making my first ice climbing trip this february also. I will be going to ouray ice park in Colorado. My partner went last year and he highly recommended it. Get a guide and rent all the gear and climb on.

darkside

Dec 4, 2001, 7:25 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phish: I love ice so if you get up to Canada, I can show you some of the places in Ontario. I can also recommend the Adirondacks from experience. By next month I will be able to tell you a little about NH as I will be making a trip there after Christmas.
I won't turn you into an ice guru but if you want to give me a belay, I would be happy to show you how ice climbers stop from freezing their sweet butts. Canadians are good at that
Even if I am originally a Brit.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook