Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

rendog

Aug 15, 2003, 3:35 PM
Post #51 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Re: dumb things non climbers say [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
i called my airline that i am flying with tomorrow. here's the conversation.

Me: uh high, i hear you have some allowances for overweight luggage if the items are sporting goods.
Airline Rep: Well that depends. What are you bringing?
Me: Climbing equipment, like a rope and other climbing gear.
AR: Is it flammable?

Make-up your own dumb answers!

Me: Uh...well that depends. Will you be lighting it on fire or smelting my aluminum?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

shirokaze9

Aug 15, 2003, 4:47 PM
Post #52 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always get (usually from a 12yr little girl at a birthday party at the gym) 'excuse me sir but can you 'do me'.

I tell them correct term is belay.

longalong

Aug 15, 2003, 5:23 PM
Post #53 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder why a lot of you think what non-climbers have said is dumb. I could see it being funny, but dumb seems a little much. Just because a majority of us have climbed for a while, know how things work and why we do it doesn't give any justification to say that what non-climbers say is dumb. For non-climbers, climbing is like Latin to them. Meaning they have know idea what it's about or how it works. Just think of any job, sport, hobby, etc. that you know very little or nothing about, do you think you've said someting dumb like the Everst thing? I'd say more then likely a majority of us have. With some of the jobs I've had throughout life I can tell you I've heard funny things, but not dumb.

cricket

Aug 15, 2003, 5:26 PM
Post #54 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heck, when I started to climb I asked dumb questions. That's just how you learn - trial and error. Hopefully, not too much error though.

ericfrommichigan

Aug 15, 2003, 5:30 PM
Post #55 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Longalong,

I think almost everyone here would agree with you, I just think the original title for the original post was maybe done in haste or without as much thought put into it as has been by now. I think, not speaking for the creator of this thread, but I think that there context of "Dumb" probably would have been inter-changable with "Funny", and not meant in a truly derogative manner. Again just my $0.02.

climbing_chick

Aug 15, 2003, 5:37 PM
Post #56 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The stupidest question I have ever been asked is "are those ballet shoes?"

reborne

Aug 15, 2003, 5:37 PM
Post #57 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ok. im an engineer. let's do it. i'll go first (forgive the foxworthy impression) you might be a non-engineer if....you ask "why are frank codes more sensitive to doppler frequencies than barker codes?"
i mean, duh

um you should put that one in the stupid things "comms" people say about propagation that dont even make sense, unless it was your point that to put the words "doppler frequencies" together like that is all together sensless

climber49er

Aug 15, 2003, 7:52 PM
Post #58 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
um you should put that one in the stupid things "comms" people say about propagation that dont even make sense, unless it was your point that to put the words "doppler frequencies" together like that is all together sensless

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Talkin' about senseless...

I just love the stares I get when I ride my bike to my local boulders with a crashpad on my back. People have noooo idea what they are for.

robmcc

Aug 15, 2003, 11:40 PM
Post #59 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I always get (usually from a 12yr little girl at a birthday party at the gym) 'excuse me sir but can you 'do me'.

I tell them correct term is belay.

:shock:

Maybe you live in a more innocent area than I grew up in, but as a 12 year old I would have darned well knew how bad that sounded. I mean 12 years old. 7th grade. Middle school There were times we woulda made sailors blush. Maybe it's a boy/girl thing. Maybe girls wash their minds out more than boys do.

Then again, maybe she thinks "belay" sounds even worse. Even climbers pull a joke out of that one from time to time. :lol:

robmcc

Aug 15, 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #60 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"It's too nice a day to climb."

Uttered by a pseudoclimber friend of mine way back when, spawning merciless teasing there for a while.

I think it was actually code for "Hooooly crap! Little 30-40' climbs at Great Falls was one thing. Now you want me to climb THAT!?!"

"That" was Seneca Rocks. I might have been a little less merciless had I decoded the meaning way back when. :oops:

mr_phelps

Aug 19, 2003, 5:38 AM
Post #61 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was pulling through the drive-thru at Taco Bell and the stupid drive-thru person is like , "what kind of soda do you want with your combo?" I was like, what a dumb question, everyone knows that I drink mountain dew all the time at Taco Bell with my combos.

I swear, non-climbers are the dumbest people on the planet.

ptone

Aug 19, 2003, 6:06 AM
Post #62 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can see some of us need to check the South Park episode with Timmy and Phil Collins...!

I heard one I saw here earlier...

Some guy said to me "hey dude--it's way easier to get up over here!" trying to help out. I laughed, then thought--for him, I probably look pretty dumb trying to find the hardest spot to get to the top, then falling off over and over trying to get up there!

I'l be back there soon too!
:roll:
-p

overlord

Aug 19, 2003, 6:17 AM
Post #63 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Last time I traveled via air, I filled one of those giant gear bags with all my climbing stuff. It must have weighed 70 lbs, so I just casually lay it down for the ticket agent (woman, maybe 100 lbs) to pick up and put on the belt.

When she tried to lift it, and failed, she asked what was in it? I said "climbing gear", she asks "Oh, you take your window cleaning stuff with you?" I said "Yeah, the hardest part is folding the scaffold and getting it in the bag!" :lol:

wow, tahts gr8 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

timmah

Aug 19, 2003, 7:49 AM
Post #64 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

lighten up, dude! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do we really care what non-climbers say about our sport? Heck, I oughta start a thread "Dumb things non-engineers say." We could populate it with all the misinformed comments from people who try to explain how a kilonewton "weighs about 225 lbs." Have you never said something dumb about a topic with which you are not familiar? Give the hikers and tourists a break. They find what you do both interesting and dangerous and that suits me fine. The more dangerous they find it, the less likely they'll be hogging my favorite route anytime soon.

You should hear some of the dumb things engineers say about physics! :) Come on, this thread was fun. Poking fun at non-climbers is a fulfilling bonding experience. Enjoy it!

vertical_planar

Aug 19, 2003, 10:26 AM
Post #65 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing? ah the one where you throw these ninja grappling hooks!

(Btw i got the everest question during an interview...)

dkclimb

Aug 19, 2003, 10:34 AM
Post #66 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where I am from in Missouri it usually goes something like this.

Look (insert family members name here) they're propelling.

For the smart ones
Look (insert family members name here) they're rappelling.

Climb On!!!
D

pudding

Aug 19, 2003, 11:03 AM
Post #67 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When working at the local gym over the holidays I often get from mainly young kids, "can you 'do me' on this one", with like the YMCA groups and scouts and stuff. I don't correct them, i just say i'm not wearing a harness so I can't and I have to make sure nobody is doing anything wrong so, "no I can't go put one on".
The hard part is fighting back the urge to say somethign dodgey when attractive 17 year old girls say the same thing to me, (me being 17 myself).
I also see the parents that expect their kdis to get up the 26 (australian/n.z. system) that I've just demo climbed for them, and won't let them down until they have done it, until I go over and tell the parents that their child isn't 'tall' enough to make it (even though it's not true).
And I get the guys that say "are those ballet slippers", and when they see me climbing a roof section, I get "are there magnets in those shoes". And i'm thinking "yea, and the holds are made with iron fragments".
When I'm outdoors climbing on the mountain I get "oh look he's taking the shortcut", or, "you know there is an easier way up, right?"

Cheers, from pudding

turockgirl

Aug 19, 2003, 3:00 PM
Post #68 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While looking at an ad for shoes in a copy of Rock and Ice at the beach while on vacation, people ask "are those the shoes you see people walking around in all the time?"
Do they really think that water shoes and rock shoes are the same?

sticky_fingers

Aug 19, 2003, 3:10 PM
Post #69 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

dumb things non climbers say [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
ok. im an engineer. let's do it. i'll go first (forgive the foxworthy impression) you might be a non-engineer if....you ask "why are frank codes more sensitive to doppler frequencies than barker codes?"
i mean, duh

^e

my bad, i misquoted the text

lastly, im surprised no one's mentioned this as I get this all the time "you might be a climber if....people always ask you 'why are you on that same dumb website'?"
then i kick them square in a balls and say, that's why

cbeltrano

Aug 19, 2003, 3:31 PM
Post #70 of 246 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"you might be a climber if....people always ask you 'why are you on that same dumb website'?"
then i kick them square in a balls and say, that's why

LOL......... absolute gold

sticky_fingers

Aug 19, 2003, 3:32 PM
Post #71 of 246 (16198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just realized i'm mixing threads (and misquoting)

damn....

cbeltrano

Aug 19, 2003, 3:39 PM
Post #72 of 246 (16198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i just realized i'm mixing threads (and misquoting)

damn....

WOW i totally thought i was in the other thread too........ now i feel stupid quoting someone who misquoted

flynnypek

Aug 19, 2003, 4:09 PM
Post #73 of 246 (16198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is this hill where you can climb one side or just go through a path on the other side.
I was climbing with my girlfriend and when I got to the end of the route I set the anchors and started belaying her.
An old lady stared at me for a little while kind of funny, when she finally saw my girlfriend she was shocked...
She got close to me and told me: "There is a path if you come this way, you know?" and she left saying we were fools that we didn't even know there was an easy way way to get to the top... :lol:

cliffhunger

Aug 19, 2003, 5:07 PM
Post #74 of 246 (16198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, some of the non climber's stupid comments aren't really cool.
The people "gently" telling you there is a trail around the back are often doing it thinking that it will show how much of an idiot YOU are.
That's how life is... so laughing about them gives me some comfort.

Kids on the other hand just don't know what's up, most of the time.
After a month of belaying summer camp kids in an indoor gym, I got pretty fed up with "did ANYONE ever get to the top of THAT ONE???!!!" pointing to the taller lead wall (51', 20deg overhung for 30 feet).

Its kind of a disillusion when I ask them how they think we put the hold on it, or that I can't even warm up on it (5.8ish with all the jugs) because it's too easy.

There are moments of pure gold however while belaying kids, the best of them always being some little girl beating the asses of all the toughie little boys by climbing the wall in record time while they can't even top out.

hellclimber

Aug 19, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #75 of 246 (16198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
blablabla... the taller lead wall (51', 20deg overhung for 30 feet).

Its kind of a disillusion when I ask them how they think we put the hold on it, or that I can't even warm up on it (5.8ish with all the jugs) because it's too easy.

Should this be under the category "dumb things climbers say"? How come you're not able to warm up on something that is easy? I don't get it. :? Sounds a bit like spraying... but maybe it's just me.

hellclimber

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook