RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

compclimber

Jul 18, 2001, 10:05 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4137 views)
Shortcut

bad fall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yesterday at the climbing wall that I work at a climber fell at the top of the wall after skiping a couple clips with the rope in his mouth and landed about four inches from the ground and fractured 3 teeth.

Partner russman

Jul 18, 2001, 1:40 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4135 views)
Shortcut

bad fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like there was quite a bit of negligence there, just form teh way you told us....how did it happen...how high wsa he...did someone at teh gym know he was skipping clips, is he "too good" for all teh clips, I am courious as to some of teh heppenings. That sucks though, hope it doesn't affect you guys at the gym much

compclimber

Jul 18, 2001, 2:33 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4135 views)
Shortcut

bad fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Our wall is only about 23 feet high so there isnt a real big margin for error (ie) too much slack. He was cliping the last bolt with the draw at his hand,so by the time he had pulled enough slack from his harness to clip about a foot above his head he had about 6-7 extra feet of slack in the rope. Plus skipping the 2nd to last bolt put aproxamatly 6 more feet of slack in the rope giving him about a 12 foot fall plus the 6/7 feet of slack he had out while trying to clip puts him at about a 19 foot fall plus about 2/3 feet of rope stretch and lifting the belayer a little puts him some where in the range of 22/23 foot fall. And as for liability and screwing us up that is what waivers are for. For your knowledge this is the worst accident to happen there to date and is only the third accident other than minor injury's (ie) scrapes,bruises,flappers,and the like. The other two were sprains.

Partner russman

Jul 18, 2001, 3:28 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4135 views)
Shortcut

bad fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear that that is teh worst thing to happen...but was he supposed to skip clips...did you guys know about it...and jsut for your knowledge...if he really wanted to waiver forms would not stnd up in court...have talked to insurance companies about it...jsut for my personal wall...they said if anyone wanted to they can get around waiver forms...but at least all teh bases are covered.

Wasn't knockn' the gym...jsut was courious of the info about the fall. Thanx for more info

kriso9tails

Jul 18, 2001, 6:28 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4135 views)
Shortcut

bad fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What?! That would be a 30' whipper with that much line out. I'm missing something in your story.

I have heard of that happening before though. People put the rope in their teeth and then bite down when they fall. After a 22' fall that's gonna do some damage. I always hold the rope in my mouth to clip (after a while the rope starts to taste good, perhaps it's an aquired taste you shouldn't develop).

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2001-07-18 11:30 ]

climberchk

Aug 26, 2001, 10:26 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4135 views)
Shortcut

bad fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All I can say is thank God for waivers!

compclimber

Aug 27, 2001, 12:07 AM
Post #7 of 7 (4135 views)
Shortcut

bad fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kriso explain to me how you got 30 feet out of that??

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook