RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

vaness

Jan 31, 2002, 8:21 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Why do climbers give it up?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

maybe she just wasnt into it anymore
or maybe she had an injury that was preventing her from climbing...
some people just lose intrest in things

vaness

maculated

Jan 31, 2002, 8:02 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Why do climbers give it up? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I was out bouldering today and this woman asks me what I think of the rock. I tell her that it's more than a challenge for me and she agrees. Says, "Back when I used to climb, that rock was waaaaaaay too hard for me, and I was doing some serious routes." I nod in assent and get back on.

But come to think about it, why would anyone give up climbing when the location is readily available? I can imagine injuries and just plain hard to find some rock, but this woman was running up a freakin' mountain!

uhighfreak

Jan 31, 2002, 9:34 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think sometimes people decide to separate the enjoyment of sport from their everday life. What this means is that people have a career life with a family and job and an entertainment life where sports and recreation are placed. And when people begin to add more things to one part of their life, i.e. family, children, husband/wife, new career, they begin to do less of the other part of their life, climbing and "recreation". And I am not saying this is true for everyone and I hope that I do not fall into the cycle. Instead, I would promote bringing together both sides of life and finding a way to always celebrate both. I hope I find a way to keep my love of climbing going even when I do get married, have a full time job, and even have kids. But who knows? Right now, I climb and have fun as much as I can

bigevilgrape

Jan 31, 2002, 9:47 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

she could have had something happen to her while she was climbing. A serious ground fall could be enough to scare most people out of climbing. Pluse people do just stop climbing due to changes in their life and intrestes. A person with a family may not be willing to take that risk anymore.

stigonrock

Jan 31, 2002, 10:01 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've know a few climbers who have given up over the years and then they show up a few years later for a day trip out. They always seem to come back, the rock still in their hearts, so tell me have they really given up?

Most of then gave up due to new relationships or having children. I only know one guy who gave up cause he was actually pissed off with climbing itself but I think that was more because he used to piss everyone off and nobody wanted to know him because he was really rude alot to and offensive.

I can't imagine ever giving up but I can't say that I won't as I climbed like 20 years ago for a couple of years and then gave up. I started climbing again 7 years ago and here I still am.

STIG

addiroids

Jan 31, 2002, 11:16 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do climbers give it up??

Because fat chicks need lovin' too.

And besides, sheep get old after a while.

TRADitionally yours,
Addiroids

woodse

Jan 31, 2002, 11:17 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some people just fall out of it. Others accomplish all they wanted out of the sport and find new things. For some the intial excitement wears off and they cease to find enjoyment, and then there are those that accrue other responsibilities: Family, work, financial, etc....enjoy the lifestyle while you can and for as long as you can!

woodsE

daggerx

Feb 1, 2002, 11:51 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Simple

There stupid!!!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook