Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Aug 28, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #51 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Re: why do people bash bouldering so much?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Because we deserve it.

DMT

shank

Aug 28, 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #52 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't dislike bouldering, or boulderers. I dislike some peoples attitudes.
I like to boulder. there is no doubt in my mind that it is a good way to get strong. I also lead sport. I am scared of trad,but do it on occasion.

I think the people with the bad attitudes sti nk and I don't want to be around them. But I have never been around a CLIMBERwith a bad attitude.

I think the reason most people bash bouldering is because of the internet persona most boulderer portray. Nothing personal.

"The best climber is the one having the most fun"

Do what you like and don't judge other people by what they like.

junaid

Aug 28, 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #53 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

because they have the bad attitude.

I've been climbing for a year now and I just bought my first sport rack. The way I look at is this; I climb to: have fun, sweat, get better, and enjoy nature. I don't climb to: think I'm all that and a bag of chips, get down on those that can't climb the stuff I can, get down on those that climb different stuff.

I live on Oahu, the main climbing area is nice, but sometimes I like to go to Waimea Bay and boulder. the sand is a great crash pad and the ocean (and girls in bikinis) provide excellent scenery. so to all you haters, just climb and don't get down on people because the climbing they do is not the same type as what you do.

to answer your question though, its the height thing, they think that boulderers just climb 'safe' stuff with no potential for danger. they don't realize that the best climbing is when you are safe and having fun.

peace----

climbingjunky

Aug 28, 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #54 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a lot of negativity on this issue. I'm not sure what the climbing scene is like where you all live but all the climbers I've met and spoken to sport, trad, bouldering have all been nice and helpful towards each other. None of this aweful vibe. For those of you that dis other climnbing styles or make bouldering look bad, you don't deserve any respect. Find a new hobby! :o

moabbeth

Aug 28, 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #55 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there's kind of a perception that boulderers are a little more cocky, more likely to be spraylords about what they're working, it's more of a competitve and social activity rather than being roped up climbing up a rock with your partner. I think it's cause it attracts a younger crowd with a lot more testosterone pumping than other forms of climbing. You don't often see someone 8 pitches up a trad climb with 5 friends looking on yelling "f*cking send it dude, send it!!!". Not that I personally think there's anything wrong with that, but bouldering is an activity that doesn't get far off the ground, thus more people are going to see and hear what you're doing if you're only 5 feet off the ground as opposed to being roped up 300 ft off the deck. And as in every crowd, a few loudmouthed obnoxious people can get an overall behaved crew a bad name.

And please don't flame me for this observation, but I see more bragging and flame waring among boulderers on this site than any other area. You don't see aid climbers bashing back and forth about whether they used a hook or a leeper cam on a move, but you often see big time wars going on about what's a real V3 and how there's no way someone climbed a v8, etc. Just an observation.

climber49er

Aug 29, 2003, 1:29 AM
Post #56 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WC is gettin' freaky...

Let's take it a step further...

Purity = Mental Sending

No need to mess up the fragile rock ecosystems. Just find a line and MS it!
Ahhhh, satisfying.

climber49er

Aug 29, 2003, 1:31 AM
Post #57 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, I just got the FA of the worlds first MS17. Crazy gnarly highball at that! Look into my mind and imagine it with me!

frankfurter

Aug 29, 2003, 1:40 AM
Post #58 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a boulderer, does anyone wanna front? That's what I thought! Ya can't hate on the bouldering foos!

tenn_dawg

Aug 29, 2003, 1:45 AM
Post #59 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude, I just got the FA of the worlds first MS17. Crazy gnarly highball at that! Look into my mind and imagine it with me!

Dude, I send MS17 in my flip flops.

Travis

bvb

Aug 29, 2003, 2:21 AM
Post #60 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi everyone,

i'm relatively new to the sport and some of this conversation has confused me, but i really want to learn.

what exactly is bouldering?

it just jumpng from boulder to boulder like in the movies? maybe that's why climbers make fun of boulderers -- because it's not really climbing?

moabbeth

Aug 29, 2003, 2:32 AM
Post #61 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="curt"]
In reply to:
I think the responses to this question that cite age as a reason are somewhat off-point, except to the extent that the obnoxious "boom-box" toting boulderers--who are highly visible--are usually young. There are plenty of us old guys who have been climbing in all forms (trad, sport, walls, bouldering, etc.) for more years than most young climbers have been alive. Curt

Great point. Valid one too. But I think the bad rap that bouldering sometimes gets from non-boulderers is because of the point you mentioned above. It only takes a few loudmouths oozing 'tude to give a bad perception of the sport to non-boulderers. I dunno, is it cause of the gym climate that helps breed that then it makes it's way outside? Or was bouldering always like that over the years and just not as high profile?

curt

Aug 29, 2003, 2:38 AM
Post #62 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="moabbeth"]
In reply to:
In reply to:
I think the responses to this question that cite age as a reason are somewhat off-point, except to the extent that the obnoxious "boom-box" toting boulderers--who are highly visible--are usually young. There are plenty of us old guys who have been climbing in all forms (trad, sport, walls, bouldering, etc.) for more years than most young climbers have been alive. Curt

Great point. Valid one too. But I think the bad rap that bouldering sometimes gets from non-boulderers is because of the point you mentioned above. It only takes a few loudmouths oozing 'tude to give a bad perception of the sport to non-boulderers. I dunno, is it cause of the gym climate that helps breed that then it makes it's way outside? Or was bouldering always like that over the years and just not as high profile?

No, I think you are right. I can't remember 20 years ago seeing loud groups of boulderers who would draw attention to themselves.

Curt

curt

Aug 29, 2003, 2:39 AM
Post #63 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hi everyone,

i'm relatively new to the sport and some of this conversation has confused me, but i really want to learn.

what exactly is bouldering?

it just jumpng from boulder to boulder like in the movies? maybe that's why climbers make fun of boulderers -- because it's not really climbing?

Aren't n00bs funny?

Curt

karmaklimber

Aug 29, 2003, 3:40 AM
Post #64 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When I started climbing one of the first things that impressed itself on me was how freaking nice all of the climbers I met were. Whether outdoors or in the gym, stronger or more experienced climbers always encouraged me, which contributed so much to my already thorough enjoyment of the sport.

Recently I’ve seen a growing number of people, mostly on this and other climbing sites, who have decided that they need to express – often loudly and rudely – that the type of climbing that they choose to participate in is somehow “better” than other forms of climbing. I think this is really sad, not just because the climbing community used to be so welcoming, but also because climbing is reaching a historical point where some major decisions are going to have to be made by both climbers and land managers regarding land use, recreational access, environmental protection, and other issues that ALL climbers have to deal with whether they like it or not. I’m not interested in entertaining arguments about what forms of climbing have the most of the least impact or will be more or less affected by these issues/decisions. I have my own thoughts, but they are for another forum, or a PM if you’re interested. The fact is that to one degree or another, ALL OF US WILL BE AFFECTED and all of us need to be thinking about these issues with our common interest in mind.

On a more philosophical note, we all climb because we love it, and we know that most other people don’t understand this love. Certainly whether you love trad, sport, bouldering, aid, ice, or whatever (heaven forbid that you might love more than one!), enough of this love is shared between us that we can understand why others might enjoy a different aspect of climbing than us, no?

BUMP

spacecowboy

Aug 29, 2003, 4:11 AM
Post #65 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More pure my ass. Not to sound like a jerk here, i boulder too. But bouldering is in my opinion the least 'pure' of climbing. So many rules, you have to start a problem sitting down, you can't use this side wall or else your off the problem, you finish when you reach this arbitrary crimp, etc. If you want to argue it, seems to me alpine is more pure, it's you and the mountain, gear doesn't get in the way, it saves your life...if you don't want to place any, don't place any. Anything with rules can't be pure.

Although I do enjoy sitting on a large pad drinking soda and then still getting to call my self a climber at the end of the day.

jipstyle

Aug 29, 2003, 4:51 AM
Post #66 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If I understand this correctly you are saying that free soloing is missing an integral part of the climbing experience and is not in the spirit of climbing as people who do it only free climb.

That is a good point ... I hadn't considered it, and you seem to have found a flaw in my argument. :)

In reply to:
Get a grip on reality. Free climbing is a major part of the spirit of climbing.

Learn to be civil. There is no need to be insulting ... I didn't flame you, did I?

In reply to:
As for bashing bouldering; enjoy your rock hopping. I need some exposure to get the adrenaline flowing but to each his/her own.

Thanks ... I will ... regardless of whether that was an attempt at sarcasm in your first sentence.

The great thing about climbing, I hope you'll agree, is that it provides so many people so much pleasure. That's it, really. It's fun.

Let's all keep it that way. :)

Partner camhead

Aug 29, 2003, 5:12 AM
Post #67 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it is high time that the boulderers and traddies ganged up on the real ethically challenged:

Sportos.

Boulderers are hella strong. Traddies have balls. Sportos just hangdog a lot and get pumped without facing any major consequences. They don't top out either.

Think about it: trad and bouldering have more in common with each other than with sport.

gatorclimber

Aug 29, 2003, 5:14 AM
Post #68 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I havent posted in a while but I had to add something to this one. There is one thing that needs to be defined here and that is respect. That is what it is all about. My climbing is more pure than your climbing (whining), is disappointing to read on a Climbing community forum. This discussion of which form of climbing is better should not even be taking place. If a new climber were to come here and read some of these replies, I have a feeling it would change their opinion of climbers in general. I have respect for all forms of climbing. The question of weather or not bouldering is climbing, or which form is the best has never entered my mind. Personally I boulder and tope rope. People that trad are just other climbers to which I smile and say hi to. I may not share their passion but I have respect for them and what they do. I regard myself as a fellow climber, period. I am not a boulderer, I am a climber, and other climbers who trad climb are not trad climbers, they are just climbers, like me. It is sad to see the climbing community becoming divided like this. I think we need to return to the original question, why do people bash bouldering? Think of it like this: rather than people trying to isolate what exactly it is about bouldering which makes people bash it, try thinking about what exactly makes people feel the need to bash bouldering? or any other form of climbing. IMHO, it comes from the recent trendifaction(?) of climbing. I have not been climbing for very long at all (about 1 year). Living in Florida, I had no clue about anything having to do with climbing. One weekend I went to the UF climbing tower at this recreational lake we have, just for fun because I was bored. I was hooked. I started coming back after classes, by myself, and trying to see how many times I could make it around the base of the tower because it was closed and no one would belay me. I eventaully joined a climbing gym near campus and started to get in touch with the meager climbing community in Gainesville. So I am relativly isolated from "trendy climbers" by which I mean those who want no real experience with climbing other than hanging out with their friends and looking cool (the actual climbing part is incidental). The point is this: my lowly "tower traverses", my gym climbing, my few trips to Rocktown and HP40, are all fullfilling to me as a climber. Climbers are all drawn to the physical and mental diciplines required in climbing. During those first few weeks circling the tower, I was a climber. I felt the call. How I answered did not matter. Those who are following the climbing "trend" are not climbers, and should not be grouped in with those of us who truely enjoy climbing. The climbing community would be better off removing the barriers between the different "types" of climbing. We all share the same calling, and it is this which makes us climbers. And as such we should respect how each of us answer that calling, from going around the bottom of some University climbing tower, to summiting all the peaks in tibet. "To each his own" so to speak. For those who say that boulderers are loud and obnoxious, sometimes I have to agree with you. But, they are part of our climbing community, and their form of climbing is just a valid as any other. We as a community should talk to them as friends and explain to them why it is disrespectful to leave trash everywhere, or rude to blast a boom box 20 miles back into a beautiful forest, far away from any form of civilization. We should do the same for any fellow climber trad, alpine etc. We should always have respect for others' forms of climbing. The decision of which form is better is a personal decision that should be based only on which brings them the most pleasure. In the end we all have the same passion, and climbing would truely be boring if everyone did nothing but trad, or nothing but bouldering.

moabbeth

Aug 29, 2003, 5:24 AM
Post #69 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think it is high time that the boulderers and traddies ganged up on the real ethically challenged:

Sportos.

Boulderers are hella strong. Traddies have balls. Sportos just hangdog a lot and get pumped without facing any major consequences. They don't top out either.

Think about it: trad and bouldering have more in common with each other than with sport.

Nice!!! I hadn't thought about it that way before. Where's the tradster/boulderer love???

collegekid

Aug 29, 2003, 5:26 AM
Post #70 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quit wining and go climb you wussies.

there are so many people talking out their asses on here, it's not even funny (well, actually it is).

apollodorus

Aug 29, 2003, 5:29 AM
Post #71 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is inherently about going up. So, climbers who don't go up very high are seen by some as being at the bottom of the food chain. On a website like RC, there are predators, who naturally focus on boulderers.

For my money, though, sport climbing is worse than bouldering. And even worse than that are the fake walls.

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 29, 2003, 7:37 AM
Post #72 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Michael (xanx),

Watch me now in awe as I disregard all other posts in this thread but your own!

Seemingly, you have a great respect for all aspects of our wonderful sport. As do I. Your esteem for the very nature of other forms of climbing, although you do not practice them, is something I can definitively relate to.

As a fellow boulderer who also respects climbing, I wish to personally presage this perfect piece of pensive information:

Let it be.

If other climbers should "bash" your love, you can do any of the following: disregard their comments, bash their love, bash their face.

The choice is yours. Let us hope your choice is to continue bouldering, and crankin' hard.

climber49er

Aug 29, 2003, 8:20 AM
Post #73 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think people bash boulders because they are trying to climb up them. Sometimes their arms and legs just get carried away. I don't think the boulders mind much... :roll:

hellclimber

Aug 29, 2003, 11:27 AM
Post #74 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Get a grip on reality. Free climbing is a major part of the spirit of climbing.

Learn to be civil. There is no need to be insulting ... I didn't flame you, did I?

No you didn't. I apologize. Working kind of hard these days and 3-4 hours of sleep every 24 hours or so isn't doing much good for my politeness. Not having climbed for almost a week doesn't help either.

In reply to:
In reply to:
As for bashing bouldering; enjoy your rock hopping. I need some exposure to get the adrenaline flowing but to each his/her own.

Thanks ... I will ... regardless of whether that was an attempt at sarcasm in your first sentence.

Guess that first sentence does come off like a derogatory remark. Probably because I don't see what's so fun about bouldering. To each his/her own as I said. Just because I don't understand it doesn't make it a better or worse thing to do. Just different from what I like. Enjoy your bouldering.

In reply to:
The great thing about climbing, I hope you'll agree, is that it provides so many people so much pleasure. That's it, really. It's fun.

Let's all keep it that way. :)

Well, we kind of agree. The great thing about climbing for me is that it provides me with so much pleasure. It's fun for me. Why other people climb doesn't matter.

Climb on.

hellclimber

wc

Aug 29, 2003, 3:05 PM
Post #75 of 215 (26205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
is it just jumpng from boulder to boulder like in the movies? maybe that's why climbers make fun of boulderers -- because it's not really climbing?

You got it, "bouldering hopping" is what we used to call it back when I was young. Now these wankers carry pads on their backs incase they tip over. And they wear sticky shoes so they don't slip around as much. I'd like to see them hop ("send" in modern lingo) some of the jumps ("problems" these days) that I did back in the day with my old K-Mart clod hoppers.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook