Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

wc

Aug 29, 2003, 3:09 PM
Post #76 of 215 (22969 views)
Shortcut

Re: why do people bash bouldering so much?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
WC is gettin' freaky...

Let's take it a step further...

Purity = Mental Sending

Damn... you da man!!! Ever consider teaching zen? Ah... I get it... you already are!!! You truly are a master of mental Judo. You have pushed me to the next level, much gratitude sensai...

Any advice on how to fix my "mental flapper?"

climbingjunky

Aug 29, 2003, 3:43 PM
Post #77 of 215 (22969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At first I thought, that's an interesting concept. WC, there comes a point when it's no longer considered funny or amusing. It has reached that end. This thread is getting stupid. I don't see the point of continuing this. Noones opnion will change, and frankly I don't think anybody really cares what others think. Can someone lock this yet before all hell breaks loose! Just climb dammit! :lol:

wc

Aug 29, 2003, 3:57 PM
Post #78 of 215 (22969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
WC, there comes a point when it's no longer considered funny or amusing. It has reached that end.

Interesting, I just got a PM that complimented me on my contributions to this thread. I'm terribly sorry for failing to amuse you indy, but that was not my intention... my intention was to probe the very essence of climbng in general, so that we might come to terms with why we pursue such an activity. Only through understanding the true nature of our actions can we come to live in peace and harmony with each other.

I am now eternally grateful to climber49er (and all other intermediate conveyors) for helping me grasp the essence of my relationship with stone.

Numbassday

t-dog
Deleted

Aug 29, 2003, 3:59 PM
Post #79 of 215 (22969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering gets bashed for two main reasons:
One, it's not as involveda as Trad climbing, which can be very important on your mental ability to do a move when you're runout over a micro cam.
And Two, boulderers seem in a general sense to have less respect for the environment than other climbers (although I've seen some really stoopid sh!t going on at Williamson), and this causes areas to get closed down, which makes no-one happy.
But then again, as someone pointed out, they make the cliffs less crowded and that rules.
P.S. I myself am mostly a boulderer.

climbingjunky

Aug 29, 2003, 4:03 PM
Post #80 of 215 (22969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WC, You've got to be kidding me. I sensed some sarcasm in your posts. I didn't realize you were so serious about it. I can't wait to read your other posts! Why are so many people overanalysing climbing? Just climb dammit! :P

braaaaaaaadley

Aug 29, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #81 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because bouldering is BOORING... good way to practice climbin, but those who solely boulder I do not understand.

wc

Aug 29, 2003, 4:11 PM
Post #82 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You've got to be kidding me. I sensed some sarcasm in your posts. I didn't realize you were so serious about it. I can't wait to read your other posts! :P

Why wait? My life is an open book. As the founding member of the "Quest for Universal Awareness and Conscious Knowledge" I extend a sincere invitation to all conscious beings to probe their own existence, as well as that of every other conscious being. What you learn from others is often what you must learn about yourself in order to progress. Happy probing...

tenn_dawg

Aug 29, 2003, 4:26 PM
Post #83 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm gonna do some PROBING TONIGHT!!

HUH? EH? Who's with me?

*Looks around for someone to give him a "high five" then drops his head, and walks away*

Travis

Partner cracklover

Aug 29, 2003, 4:57 PM
Post #84 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The way this thread is progressing reminds me of something I meant to say, oh, three or four pages ago.

Any of you out there ever climbed at the Gunks? Well there's pretty good bouldering there, but there's a saying "Bouldering at the Gunks is like masturbating at a whorehouse". Mind you I have nothing against masturbating per se, but the stuff I see there is more like some kind of big circle jerk. A dozen people surreptitiosly grouped around some ritual object covered with ugly white crap, all screaming and yelling and carrying on. Man, it just turns my stomach. I mean, sure, free soloing is a way to reach down and touch a deep part of your soul. Bouldering on your own can be fun training, or just fun for its own sake, and even bouldering with a partner can be fun. But please, people, leave the circle-jerks to the 12 yo's. They don't know any better. Where's your sense of decorum? And if you really do think it's the best thing you can get, why on earth would you tell other people. Sheesh!

Here's a couple random photos I found on the web. I think they speak for themselves.

http://www.0friction.com/...riction_pic_1479.jpg
I mean, is this attractive?

Or how about this one.
http://www.bouldering.co.za/...ee%20table%20big.jpg
The original caption for this photo is:

"Problem 2001 H1 (6B), aka "The Coffee Table". Here the score is Coffee Table 1, Mark Johnston 0 ..."

Kind of pitiful, don't you think?

GO

norskagent

Aug 29, 2003, 5:09 PM
Post #85 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ummm, I imagine people boulder at the gunks because that's where the boulders are, not because they want to shun the classic routes there. Groups of immature hippie-kids do give bouldering a bad rep, but there are many bolderers that don't fit that profile...how many virgin cliffs have you found? How many classic routes have you developed? I've found boulder FIELDS and established many quality problems, and I enjoy going to classic boldering areas just as much...btw, I trad and sport climbed for 15+ years before boldering exclusively so at least I have a balenced perspective.

boulderman

Aug 29, 2003, 5:20 PM
Post #86 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sh*t.... man, that dude needs to take a stiff wire brush and clean all the moss off that rock.

norskagent

Aug 29, 2003, 5:25 PM
Post #87 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could post a pic of some chossy chimney at the gunks and another of midnight lightning for comparison...

lemurboy

Aug 29, 2003, 5:28 PM
Post #88 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why Bash anyone, who cares what a trad climber thinks. Bouldering has its own set of rules. Just because some one can crank V10 and cant even do a crack climb doesnt make them a worse climber. It just doesnt suit them. If everyone quit worrying about what other people think, I think that we would all get along a lot better.

boulderman

Aug 29, 2003, 5:29 PM
Post #89 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=16830

Now thats climbing.... This little guy can pull down and throw some mad moves! SICK!!!!

"Too Tall for Tito" V2

climbingjunky

Aug 29, 2003, 5:30 PM
Post #90 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A dozen people surreptitiosly grouped around some ritual object covered with ugly white crap, all screaming and yelling and carrying on. Man, it just turns my stomach. I mean, sure, free soloing is a way to reach down and touch a deep part of your soul. Bouldering on your own can be fun training, or just fun for its own sake, and even bouldering with a partner can be fun. But please, people, leave the circle-jerks to the 12 yo's. They don't know any better. Where's your sense of decorum? And if you really do think it's the best thing you can get, why on earth would you tell other people. Sheesh!

I am hope i used the quoting function right. As far as your comment. What's wrong with having a group of people cheering each other on? It's a positive thing. If it's too loud then why don't you say something. Bouldering can be an individual sport or social event. Bouldering is not training, it's a form of climbing. What exactly do you find so jerky about that group? Who are you to say how they should act like? Maybe you're just being specific about that particular group or are you labelling all boulderers? Why are you complaining? Why are you so critical? Do your own thing and respect others unless their creating trouble for you of course.

norskagent

Aug 29, 2003, 5:36 PM
Post #91 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not worried about what elite-ist, snobby, stuck-up trad clmbers think.

Partner cracklover

Aug 29, 2003, 5:45 PM
Post #92 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What exactly do you find so jerky about that group?
Wow. Whoosh - right over their heads.

If you don't know what a circle-jerk is, look it up. If you don't know why grown-ups don't want to see it, much less engage in it, I guess I can't help you!

GO

climbingjunky

Aug 29, 2003, 6:11 PM
Post #93 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What exactly do you find so jerky about that group?
Wow. Whoosh - right over their heads.

If you don't know what a circle-jerk is, look it up. If you don't know why grown-ups don't want to see it, much less engage in it, I guess I can't help you!

GO

This is the definition i found on the internet: A circle jerk is a kind of competition between guys where they have to sit in a circle(sounds logical). Then they put an -All american- cookie in the middle and they start to jerk off.Finally,the last one to come(or cumm) has to eat the cookie. Hoping that you'll never lose,i'll go on with what this page is really about.

So you're saying that this particular group were doing this in front of a boulder? Interesting.

climber49er

Aug 29, 2003, 6:26 PM
Post #94 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All american cookie?

joshy8200

Aug 29, 2003, 6:27 PM
Post #95 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Y'all...I admit that for a short while I started to become one of those trad climbers that looked down at bouldering and even started to shun sport routes. And I had only been trad climbing for about 2 years.

What I think gets to the heart of most trad (or like mountaineer climbers) is getting to the top of something with just yourself, some gear, and a rope. Getting to the top of a big multi-pitch cliff, anchoring in, getting your second up, and then sitting there enjoying the achievment. What I got caught up in was that why climb a 10ft boulder? What achievment is there in that? I wanted big and scenic cliffs. While some of my friends were cranking down on boulder problems in the gym, I would run laps on the routes to increase endurance.

Then as my trad level started to increase, I started realizing that although never tired from climbing a route, I noticed I wasn't really getting a lot better. I wasn't moving up and climbing harder routes as quickly as my friends (who weren't doing trad but were bouldering V5 and V6 and redpointing into the 5.12). I was like man...I can climb 5.9-5.10 trad all day.

So I started thinking and talking to my trad climbing partner (who I started realizing bouldered quite a bit too). And he was like bouldering will make you a lot more confident to make those hard moves on harder trad routes. Then I remember a little thing I read in Climbing mag about Linville Gorge, saying something about weather the first ascentionist had been bouldering over the winter before he put up this hard line.

And that's when I realized that bouldering isn't something to be looked down upon at all. Do some really hard problem and sitting atop the rock proud of what you have done is similar enough to climbing a big route. I ain't saying I would do it exclusively...but then again why isolate yourself to one part of climbing (why only be a trad climber, or boulder, or sport). All of them play off of each other. We're all climbers. We're all out to have fun and do what we love to do.

As for any problems with looking down upon boulderers as young and gym rats or whatever else you want to call them. So what...they're are assholes in all aspects of life. No need getting bent out of shape over them. Why not try to educate them in a civil manner...maybe help them to become a better person, as well as a better climber. We should all do our part to make the crags a better place. Not only socially (since we're all out there to have fun) but a better place environmentally.

climbingjunky

Aug 29, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #96 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joshy, you just summed up my opinions on this topic! WoOt! I love all types of climbing, even treeclimbing! Dynoing from branch to branch! Great fun. :)

joshy8200

Aug 29, 2003, 7:31 PM
Post #97 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ohhh man...I didn't even think about tree climbing. And on that note...climbing anything. Man I like to climb on anything! I'll climb on trees, on buildings, rock walls (like cemented together rock), statues, monuments, ropes, the doorways of my apartment, over balconies of dorms...

CLIMBING IS CLIMBING! WE SHOULD ALL GET ALONG!!! Everyone should share the crags and do their part to make it a better place in all aspects.

mowz

Aug 29, 2003, 8:08 PM
Post #98 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an answer to all this ruckus:

WHO CARES????!!!!!

Damn it, climbers are climbers and that's it. So what if one boulders and two doesn't. If two wants to bash boulderers and/or bouldering, let him/her. If one wants to bash other types of climbing that are not bouldering, let him/her. If peeps just did what made them happy and cared less about what others think or do (aka mind your own B.W.) then things would be a lot happier. Everyone who says bouldering is better or bouldering is not as great sounds like everyone else's mom and dad. Your parents used to ( and some still do) say. " Hey, don't do that. It won't be fun" or "hey, why don't you try this. What your doing is wrong." You peeps are starting to sound like your parents and worst of all, you peeps are starting to sound like my parents.

You know what? F**k what I just said. Go on and keep arguing. Maybe this crap will get so big that we all start killing each other over who's right. Then when all the climbers who care are dead, we'll be left with only the ones that CLIMB, period.

tungsten_carbide

Aug 30, 2003, 1:46 AM
Post #99 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like any type of climbing, personally.

tenn_dawg

Aug 30, 2003, 3:56 AM
Post #100 of 215 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved to Bouldering...

Travis

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook