RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

fiend

Jul 18, 2001, 8:00 PM
Post #1 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Supplements, Diets and Steroids.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone use any herbal, vitamin, or mineral supplements; follow special diets; or resort to creatine or steroids to boost their performance?

I myself take potassium supplements and vitamin c before climbing to help fight lactic acid build up and help blood circulation. I'm also working on finding ways to optimize my diet for climbing.

Just wondering what other people are doing.

wandt

Jul 18, 2001, 11:12 PM
Post #2 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Supplements, Diets and Steroids. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was in Europe I cut down to one loaf of bread, 6 smoked sausages, 12 mandarine oranges and 6 yoghurts a week. That covered 6 days, and on the seventh I would go out and eat well. All I drank (except on day 7) was water and orange juice.
I went from about 210 to 178 in three months and went from 5.10d/11a to 5.12b/c (German grades don't translate perfectly) in the same time frame.
And I walked almost everywhere.

kriso9tails

Jul 19, 2001, 12:46 AM
Post #3 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Steroids are scary stuff. If I'm not mistaken they alter the expression of cellular DNA and mess you up real good (especially your gender). Don't mess with hormones lightly.

Life span and health (in my opinion) is vastly genetic. Dieticians know very little compared to their claims, so specific dieting and food planning takes more off your life in stress than it adds in health.

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2001-07-18 20:28 ]

manboy

Jul 19, 2001, 3:24 AM
Post #4 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my friend Sonnie had the coolest diet when we were travelling and climbing last year. he would eat one bag of Oreo's, one bag of Dorito's, and one Pint of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream per day. also, when we were in the VRG he would have Buffet breakfast and Dinner many days too, and still sent many 5.14's and 13's!! ha ha. oh, also once in Rifle i saw a guy eat a pound of gummie bears before he sent his project (also a 5.14). i used to be anorexic and as soon as i started eating much more, yes i gained a few pounds (10 pounds or so), but also started climbing way way better and improving rapidly. i used to be 145 lbs and 6'4, now i'm still 6'4 but 165lbs and now that i eat alot more, i have way more energy then when i didn't eat much at all.

as for supliments, nothing. just eat right and you'll have ton's of energy and won't need them. many of the best climbers i know eat TON'S and don't take any supliments (and never did). look at Dave Graham, he is like 80 lbs, ha, and can out eat most 200 lbs football players!! ha.

hasta luego

kagunkie

Jul 19, 2001, 3:30 AM
Post #5 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When Im trying to adjust my weight for climbing I usually start the day out with two beers instead of three and only one for lunch then at supper Ill have a sixpack or two just to round it out. Oh yea very important, I always take the time for solid food every day usually Hostess twinkies and a bag of chips just to suppliment some extra vitamines.

fiend

Jul 19, 2001, 4:16 AM
Post #6 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Steve, you were anorexic? Damn, I heard stories about you and bags of pork rinds. Wouldn't have thunk it. Sonnie is a machine though. When I was climbing all the time (although never training) I could eat whatever I wanted to and stay the same weight but now, after a year of inactivity I can't seem to lose the weight so I'm working on my diet as well.

phishphan

Jul 19, 2001, 5:17 AM
Post #7 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a vegetarian and I am allergic to milk so I take a lot a vitamins anyways, but I recently started this mineral program through Sunrider. It cleanses your organs and helps get your body into premium shape. If there is such a thing. But since I have started that I have felt so much better. I had a tumor removed last year, so I wasn't in the best health but I am slowly getting there. So I recommened Sunrider's Mineral Progam. I give it two thumbs up.
Lauren

manboy

Jul 19, 2001, 2:35 PM
Post #8 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fiend, i wouldn't consider myself to have been "anorexic", that's just what my friend Andre said i was because i didn't eat on a very good schedule. i usally just had dinner, i never had breakfast or lunch, and i would somedays not have anything because i thought it was good to clear your system, if you don't eat for a day you feel awsome the next (or at least i did). i ate, just not ton's. (Pork Rinds are nasty!) this past year on the road though, i started eating TONS and TONS, and went from 13c to 14a and on-sighting 12b/c to 13a. LOTS of food = better climbing.

fiend

Jul 19, 2001, 11:06 PM
Post #9 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which 5.13s koolkitty?

kriso9tails

Jul 20, 2001, 6:08 AM
Post #10 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I developped a lactose intolerance because I never drank the stuff, but because I wasn't born with the condition so I coul eventually drink milk again.

As for the not eating thing. I hardly ate for the last two days and today when I went up to Nemo I couldn't move. I have not even the slightest idea what it's like to be anorexic, and truthfully I hope to never know.

The only proven dietary advice given to me was balance. It may sound easy, but many, many, many (we're talking millions here) can't do it. As a result the resort to strange diets which cause even more problems. The worst is those fat trappers, which are the equivalent of a starvation diet. Who let those things on the market?

krillen

Jul 20, 2001, 3:59 PM
Post #11 of 11 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before Christmas I was training hard, weights, climbing, and cardio, and I was eating HUGE!! A snack at breakfast with my constitutional coffee (I have my vices), two well balanced lunches (fruit, healthy sandwiches etc.), on ane at 10:30-11 and another at 2:30-3:00 and a HUGE dinner. I had to slow that down eventually because of an injury, and the fact I was eating myself into the poor house...[grin] I was hungry all the time

kris is right. If you can eat balanced, then you're on the right track. Then the only thing you have to adjust is your calorie intake to match your activity level.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook