RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

pushfurther

Feb 2, 2002, 12:35 AM
Post #1 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

why photography?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what got you into photography?

for me, i could never draw or paint, so i want to take pictures that convey an emotion the way that artistically talented people can do with pencils and paintbrushes..

i've always like black and white action photography..my favorite climbing shot so far is a b&w dyno to a sloper, taken from above.

i'm still new to the photography scene, just like i'm relatively new to the climbing scene. i've got a lot of studying to do before i get anywhere near as good as i want to be..

jmlangford

Feb 2, 2002, 12:49 AM
Post #2 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

why photography? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My dad was a National Park Ranger when I was growing up and he was ALWAYS taking pictures. Of the rescues he did, the scenery-we always lived in beautiful places-his climbs, etc. You wouldn't believe the collection of photos he has, from the Teton's in the 50's to Pinnacles National Monument in the 80's. I guess I got into it because "I want to be like dad". I've never had any formal training and I have a long way to go but I sure have fun with a camera in my hand. If you're interested, I'll start posting some of his pics. There are a couple already posted-one Willi Unsoeld took of him and one he took of Willi Unsoeld.

[ This Message was edited by: jmlangford on 2002-02-01 16:51 ]

krillen

Feb 2, 2002, 2:08 AM
Post #3 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Always likes it, but never had the means to. Finally one day in mid Nov. I said screw it bought a camera a lense and talked ot some photgrapher friends.

My photos are still pretty amature, but like I said I just started....

jmlangford

Feb 2, 2002, 2:26 AM
Post #4 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krillen, Just checked out your pics...pretty good ones. About the only thing my dad ever told me was about composition-balance the photos. Not too much sky, not too much ground, don't have the horizon smack dab across the middle of the picture(1/3-2/3 rule), etc. Regardless of when and why you started, the important thing is that you did start and you can only get better.

fiend

Feb 2, 2002, 4:42 AM
Post #5 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always felt that there was a certain 'truth' to photography that was lacking in other diciplines. A fair amount of manipulation can be done with camera hardware but generally an image is captured the way it was. A moment frozen in time if you will.

With painting, sculpture, drawing, it's all in how the artist translates the image to the medium, often imperfect and skewed. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, just that I find something appealing about the nature of a photograph.

Heh, sorry. Hard to explain.

jmlangford

Feb 2, 2002, 5:01 AM
Post #6 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fiend, you did fine explaining it. You're right...a photo captures a memory-most of the time it is exactly what you saw. The first thing out of a burning house should be photos-photography is very sentimental with me.

fiend

Feb 2, 2002, 5:10 AM
Post #7 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hehe, my mom always used to say "If there's ever a fire then grab that box, it has all the negatives in it. You can leave the albums, we'll just get re-prints later"

saltspringer

Feb 2, 2002, 8:12 AM
Post #8 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess that I got into photography through a need to express myself creatively and a lack of the motor skills necessary to excel at any other art form! I've always been fascinated by the ability of a photograph to capture more that what we see when we're immersed in an experience: don't be fooled, a photograph is as much an interpretation of an event as it is a record. What is left out of a photo often says more than what is included and this is part of the fine balance that is achieved in any great photograph: the elimination of all but the essence of what is being photographed.

toprope_media

Feb 12, 2002, 8:33 PM
Post #9 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My dad got me into photography when I was a kid. He did photo historical restoration, portaits..etc. But must of all, outdoor stuff. As a child, I spent hundreds of hours in a hunting blind waiting for a beaver, chipmunk, or deer to pass buy so we could snap a photo. It was a great experience and taught me a great deal. Growing up with a darkroom in the house, it is a natural progression into my own role as a photographer. Today, I am an art director and photographer. It is a way to renew both your inspiration and imagination.

I have covered cycling for years and climbing for a lesser period of time. They are two pursuits that I love greatly and photography helps me to reinvest in them when I am on the sidelines.

capricious

Feb 24, 2002, 5:59 PM
Post #10 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My grandmother was always taking pics and when she died I was sadden that no one had taken many pics of her. I became obsessed with recording everyone and everything. It prompted me to attend the Art Institute of Atlanta where I received an associates degree. I never have to much cash because I'm still recording life as I see it.
I do, however, long to go to new places and have new adventures so when my kids look back at my portfolio someday it won't be a bore.

gunkie

Mar 25, 2002, 3:48 AM
Post #11 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"The first thing out of a burning house should be photos-photography is very sentimental with me."

Awsome words!!!!

PHotography in my family goes back to my grandfather who started taking pictures around the early 1920's and loved it. Many of my uncles, cousins are photographers but my only interest was to look at pictures.

Last year while writting the NYC subway poems I thought it would be better to have a point and shoot camara to take pics of the poems instead of writting them down since most of the times I didn't have time to write them.

Now I have gotten a SLR and don't go anywhere without one of my camaras. I began into taking pictures of the GUNKS, NYC and been teaching myself by reading books and practicing. you can see some of the pics at
my site www.FragileSummit.com and check the climbing or NYC section.

Peace
Ray

apollodorus

Mar 25, 2002, 3:58 AM
Post #12 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally wish I'd taken a camera - any camera - with me on my climbs before. My mind is as sharp as it used to be ("sharpest marble in the box"), but I still wish I had photos. I recently was looking through my old Roper Yosemite Climber's Guide, and was amazed at some of the routes I had marked with stars. Did I REALLY do that climb?

My biggest loss (to date)? Pictures of my going up the Rotten Log on the Royal Arches. It was so well preserved and cool, I figured it would always be there. Little did I figure into the equation a vandal/hoodlum who would bounce and crack, then trundle the pitch and then have the temerity to brag about it in Camp 4. I wish I had two photos: one of me flashing the Log, and one of that guy, so we could post it up on America's Most Wanted.

Digital camera + extra memory card = Oh, Yeah

[ This Message was edited by: apollodorus on 2002-03-24 21:00 ]

crackaddict

Mar 25, 2002, 4:56 AM
Post #13 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took some classes in high school because I wanted to express myself artisticly and because I was'nt any good at drawing either. Never made a career out of it but it taught me what to look for. I like to take shots of where I've been to show people how much beauty there is in the world. Sometimes I can actually get some good shots. The only thing I have trouble with is keeping the quality of the shot after I have scanned it and edited it. For some reason they don't look as good on here. Any tips?
Thats all I have to say.

apollodorus

Mar 25, 2002, 5:06 AM
Post #14 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This post doesn't really deal with photography. It is an offshoot to the recurring anger vent of the lost Rotten Log that I can't seem to shake. I think that I lost interest in climbing partly because of that Mullah Fuqua who trundled it "for fun".

Since there have been many references to creativity in this forum, how long do you think it will be before some faux-creative graffiti artist decides that what's good enough for railroad boxcars is good enough for the walls? I can just picture some azzole "tagging" a local climbing area.

"I fear for my future, as much as I loathe my past." - Dr. Johnson

maculated

Mar 25, 2002, 6:18 AM
Post #15 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apollo, if you drive up to the Bay Area on 101, there's a rock through the "Safety Corridor" (Arrive Alive!) that used to be vandalized all the time and now they just paint it brown. That day has come.

As for the Rotten Log story? You aren't talking about John Long's reference to people using some dead tree as an anchor and one day he pushed it and it fell off, right? Care to explain for us newbies?

apollodorus

Mar 25, 2002, 10:09 AM
Post #16 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OMIGOD! WAS THAT JOHN LONG WHO TRUNDLED THE ROTTEN LOG???? I remember some IDIOT, about my age (about five, eight younger than J.L.) spewing off about how "cool" it was to be the azzole to "finally do it".

NO.

There is NO WAY John Long was the fool who trundled the Rotten Log from the Royal Arches. NO WAY.

Your story, Maculated, must be from some other climb. Some other climb. Some other climb.

NO WAY John Long is the piece of schnitt from holle who trundled the log.

No Way.

There is NO WAY in this universe that John Long vandalized and trundled the Rotten Log on the Royal Arches. I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY John Long did this.

John Long is a WAY cool climber, the best of his, our and past generations.

Besides, the IDIOT claiming to have trundled the log was WAY too small to be John Long. This guy probably flailed his ass up the Bishop's Terrace cracks four times before inhaling enough crank to get the courage for the Royal Arches. And then had to be led up the whole thing. He DID say that he was seconding the Rotten Log, after all.

This is a sore that will not heal for me, I'm afraid.

bcmtngrrrl

Mar 27, 2002, 11:24 PM
Post #17 of 17 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone have any tips on what the best way is to go as far as getting pictures published? I'm constantly getting people telling me to publish my pics, make them postcards and whatnot, but I'm a little skeptical to just send them away for fear of someone using them without my permission.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook