RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

woodse

Feb 4, 2002, 9:26 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1207 views)
Shortcut

Rope Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all...

I want to know the differences as well as the uses and disadvantages/advantages of:

Single ropes
Double ropes
Twin ropes

Basically what is the definition of these and what type of climbing do you use them for.

thanks ya gearheads

woodsE

agrauch

Feb 4, 2002, 9:56 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1207 views)
Shortcut

Rope Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mark Twight has some good stuff about ropes in Extreme Alpinism, weight comparisons and such. I tend to climb with a 9.2 and a tag line or half ropes.

My basic definitions of ropes are:
Single ropes - fat and heavy mothers. Rope is clipped to each piece of pro. Good for aid climbing, general trad climbing if the pitches don't wander too much, top roping, sport climbing, you name it. Since these are heavy, bring a 7mm tag line for rapping.

Double/Half ropes - a bit skinnier and lighter. Ropes are clipped to alternating pieces of pro. Good for alpine and ice and in places where the gear isn't so hot or there's a good chance of rope damage. Absolutely neccessary if pitches wander alot. Takes a bit of practice to belay with double ropes, fequently there is different amount of slack in the two lines.

Twin ropes - very skinny and light. Both ropes are clipped into each piece of pro. Mostly for alpine and ice. I've never climbed with these.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$44.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook